DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about a Dyno tune in Dallas. thanks for the responses. I have just spoken to a tuner in Dallas, who is getting ready to work on my 99 GT. I have been doing research for the longest time, and it seems as if EVERYONe thinks this guy is the best in the area. I have no doubts about that.

Here is my question. He told me that after the install of the blower, and having the car PROPERLY tuned, that I should expect to see around 330 RWHP. I must say, that I was a little upset. I figured this set up should be good for close to 365-370 RWHP. What are some of your guys' RWHP numbers?

Here is the set up.

Vortech S Trim V1
Walbro 255 in tank pump
42 lb injectors
90mm Lightning Mass Air
01' Lightning IAT = Intake Air Temp sensor
Anderson Power Pipe

He also said that since my car is a 55,000 mile car, that he might have to do a more "safe" tune, and to expect more like 310-315 RWHP.

Does this sound "kosher" to you?

I figure I'll be spending close to $5,000 after its all said and done. Less than 100 RWHP for $5,000 doesn't sound all that great to me.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

·
American Idol
2,867 Posts
310 at the wheels, that's it? There are probably some 2v 4.6's making that naturally aspirated. If that's the case trade your car in and use the $5000 towards a 03 Cobra.

G

·
I have a different blower, but my mods and numbers are in the sig. I have now replaced the motor because I pushed alittle to much in third at the track , but the stock motor had 8-9,000 miles on it with the blower when it did go and they were not easy miles.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I don't know who the best tuner in the dallas area is your talking about. But you should be in the high 300's if not the low 400's with what you have.

Of course I would drive to down to Houston Performance and have Steve D. tune my car if I where you. He is the best tuner in Texas hands down.

·
Along for the ride
6,569 Posts
what other mods do you have? if the car is 100% bone stock except for the blower and you're runnin only 8 psi then 330 rwhp may be about right. but if you have exhaust, throttle body, 10-12 psi, etc. then i'd expect to make around 375-400 rwhp or so. keep us posted on how the dyno session goes.

marcus

·
Playa from tha Himalayas
1,156 Posts
I'm runnin a V-1 on my 99 @ 10#'s, after my tune i should be seein 400-410rwhp. I made 330 at tha wheels at 8#'s with no tune on a 105 degree day everything stock except an off road h pipe and tha blower of course.

·
The Janitor
15,927 Posts
Thomas99GT said:
I'm runnin a V-1 on my 99 @ 10#'s, after my tune i should be seein 400-410rwhp. I made 330 at tha wheels at 8#'s with no tune on a 105 degree day everything stock except an off road h pipe and tha blower of course.
yeah, post-tune you damn well should be running 360+rwhp with a power pipe and the extra 2-3# of boost it gives. I have no doubt you can get it, try to find a new tuner.

·
R.E.N.G.
2,816 Posts
I would expect somewhere around 360-370-ish at the wheels with a good tune. At this power level the rods, pistons, crank should be fine. The magic number seems to be around 410rwhp when problems arise, but I think this is more a limitation of the chip-tuning of the stock ECM causing detonation. Assuming detonation is the main enemy, then what does the age of the motor have to due with it, how does age affect detonation? IMO it is all in the tune, tell them how close to the edge you want to go, and respond according to this when motor fails, if you ask for safe expect it to last, if you want ragged edge expect it to last(but don't be surprised when it fails. Notice I did say when, boost + stock bottom 4.6 WILL let go sometime, hopefully not too soon, good luck and let us know how the tune goes.

·
Premium Member
31,877 Posts
I've been making 426+rwhp for a while now without incident. Keep the A/F a tad on the rich side and don't go crazy with timing.

·
Got Lateral G's??
9,573 Posts
PErsonally, I think he is lubing you up so when he does get 360 out of it, you will be really happy.

I know who you are talking about and I personally did not get warm and fuzzies from this guy when I spoke with him. That is why he did not tune my car. Others have had great luck with him and that is cool. To each his own and hopefully you will get what you are expecting.

what ever way I go with my mods, when it comes time for a tune, Steve at HP will definitely do mine even if I have to trailer the car down there.

·
Premium Member
12,152 Posts
"Here is the set up.

Vortech S Trim V1
Walbro 255 in tank pump
42 lb injectors
90mm Lightning Mass Air
01' Lightning IAT = Intake Air Temp sensor
Anderson Power Pipe

Ny bro in laws GT has everything there + the aftercooler using the V-2 blower. I believe his is running about 10psi and is currently putting down 410rwhp 397rwtq. if you have the $$ get the aftercooler. The cooler you can keep the air going into the engine the less chance you have of detonation which means less chance of Boom Bitch. His car has run 11.60's at the track at stock weight + a speaker box...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Geez...doesnt sound right. I havent had any dyno numbers yet...but I should be in the low 400's with the rich tune I have. That sure sounds a little low....

·
Registered
348 Posts
Man, I've had cars that should make 400 make 320, and I've had cars that should have made 320 make 370.

On a stock bottom end, with no cooler... I'm going to keep it safe as my first priority. :)

I'll put A/F at 11.8-12:1, push the timing in it wants, and that's what it makes. If you're not happy, you pay for the dyno time only. How's that? :)

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
DMann said:
Man, I've had cars that should make 400 make 320, and I've had cars that should have made 320 make 370.

On a stock bottom end, with no cooler... I'm going to keep it safe as my first priority. :)

I'll put A/F at 11.8-12:1, push the timing in it wants, and that's what it makes. If you're not happy, you pay for the dyno time only. How's that? :)
That sounds like a great deal!:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DMann said:

Once again, I have all the confidence in the world in DMann. I've yet to talk to anyone who says otherwise.

I would just like to know if this is the best set-up possible for the money I'll be spending?

Thanks again for everyone's response.

G

·
It definitely sounds too low even if the car was otherwise bone stock. I've built 8 psi non-cooled S-Trim 99+ GT's (still using 30# injectors) that do 390+ rwhp staying below 12.5:1. Or aftercooled S-Trim cars with 42# injectors at 10 psi in the 430's staying below 12:1. Even with just a Pro-M 80mm MAF with a supercharger curve doing the duties on one 99 GT I did was doing in the 360's before it got tuned (then it got in the 390's). I'd have to question one's experiences and abilities with this particular set up with expectations given like that. Good luck. (not sarcastic)

~Ron

S.E. Racing

·
Custom Title
16,584 Posts
I have a pretty much stock 01 GT Vert. with a V2-SQ, 8lb pulley, 38 lb injectors, flowmasters and everything else either stock, or the standard Vortech kit had it in there, and after the tune Dmann did I had 356 rwhp and 363 tq. with an A/F ratio of 12.1 across the board. I have since added a Paxton air-to-air intercooler and that took away a few rwhp, I'm down to 343 I think, or real close to that, but with the intercooler it takes away some power pushing all the air thru that radiator. Next I'll get a 10lb pulley and another tune from Dmann.

Oh, by the way, before the Vortech I got dyno'd at 236 rwhp, so I gained about 120 rwhp from Dmann. I'm sure if I get a larger MAF, power pipe, etc. he can get me over 400, but I'm very satisfied with it.

You should get a dyno run before you have the supercharger installed to see what you have prior to the install. If you currently have 230'ish rwhp, I'd expect to see you around 360 or so when done.
My 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had Chris Johnson flash me a chip. He had done many cars with my same mods and he got my car right the first time through the mail. I know there probably should be time to have it dyno tuned on site...but for a mail order...i was damn impressed....i've gotta have 400 rwhp (not dynoed yet but ran a 12.90 babying the car in June with 100 degree temp and a density altitude of 7800 ft) and a A/F of 11.8:1 for certain (had some kind of autotap software and A/F meter that we hooked up to the car and drove around with under various WOT and part throttle). I only wish I still got 24 mpg!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.