DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of AFR 165 pedestal mount. I also have a set of Cobra 1.7 roller rockers on my stock heads. I need to know if I can run my 1.7s without having any valve/piston problems or if I should back off to some 1.6 rollers.
Factory camshaft, .030 over bore, no fancy pistons.
Thanks.

Armond

·
in memory of "lil' Roy"
11,775 Posts
you could even throw on a small cam if you wanted to??

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car is a '90 Lincoln Mark VII. Weighs close to 4K pounds so I need ALL the torque I can get. It is Speed Density(Lincoln stayed SD all the way to '92). I'll be keeping the SD and factory cam for a a long time.(lack of play money)
I have a Trick Flow Street Heat which should make for a good street combination.
I'll go ahead and pick up a pushrod length checker as I've heard the AFRs sometimes need longer than stock. I was hoping to avoid the hassle of checking valve/piston clearance so I posted here to ask those who"have been there done that"

Thanks.

Armond

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems with p/v using a stock cam and 1.7rr. I had a combo like that in my lx except I used performer heads.It made 278rwhp and the car ran [email protected]

Mike

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have 165's and 1.7's clearance was not a problem. I use factory length pushrods with motorsport shim kit. I assume yours are pedestal mount. You can get the shim kit at DMP.

·
you cant see me
15,960 Posts
Tk said:
I have 165's and 1.7's clearance was not a problem. I use factory length pushrods with motorsport shim kit. I assume yours are pedestal mount. You can get the shim kit at DMP.
how much was the shim kit?

·
Secular Dogooderist
3,031 Posts
90LSC said:
Dude, we have the same name. Mine's Armand though...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks Ricky, but I still may not use them.When the money is right I will probably go ahead and find some 1.6s. A few years ago the engine was rebuilt and the pistons are an unknown. I have a couple of months to do more research.

Hey Armand, there aren't many of us around. Glad to "meet" you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts