DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help adjusting the rockers on my 85 mustang, I do not know the correct way to do it... but I know the way I am doing it is wrong. These are stock rocker arms they are the bolt on kind.

Can anyone give me an idea of the correct process to adjust these. I keep tightning them... but the bolts just loosen while its idling...

any help would be appreciated, (btw if anyone can tell me a way to do it while the car is not running that would kick... im covered in oil as it is ;) )

thanks

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
get some good hardware. when i did my head swap i just tightend them down (car off) and waited for the lifters to bleed off (bout 5 mins) tighten them till you can twist the push rod without much effort and the push rod isnt moving up and down a lot.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
They make oil deflecters. They dont work perfect, but help a bit.;)

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought oil deflectors.... but they did not work to well... I am tring what fatasslx suggested... but that is not happening.... every two full turns of the crank.. the bolts seem to be backing off about an 1/8th turn...

it starts up and sounds real good.. but after the same two mins of idling.. they rockers just start loosening up again...

ehhh ::shrugs::

any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could I have the wrong length pushrods??? I have a bcam and stock length pushrods (6.4 inchs??) could that cause these bolts to back off....

Would locktight help?? I had a friend whatch the bolts on number 1 rockers... as hand spun the motor... and they are literally backing off as the motor spins...

I'll buy someone an ice cream cone if they can give me a suggestion that will work ;) hehe.. jk

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
trey85stang said:
you never had to retighten them??... did you follow the fireing order when tightening... or just tighten them all in one shot??
nope. you may want to try shimmin the rockers some, i had to. (heads have been milled)

edit: yeah i torqued em down all at once.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
they may, the friend that helped me with the swap had everything i needed.

·
Registered
5,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, no autoparts store carry rocker arm shims, i can order them and have them by the first of the year... but ehh... I think I have a budget way anyways. since this is a budget car as it is...

Anyone think I could get away with just using a washer on each of the rockers, underneath the fulcrum thing.. (the bar the connects the two rockers?? dont know what it is called), any opinions on this.. shouldn't hurt anything right??

thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.