DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Semi-Banned
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard exactly is it to get the DFI setup for a lil turboed 3??w.

moving up from the Tweecer r/t to the DFI and just wondering what are the PROS/CONS.

the tweecer r/t was farely easy to use, just did lots of reading up on it, and got to tuning.

But as far as the ACCEL DFI would i have to have someone tune the car that knows how to work with it? or could i easily learn to use it like the Tweecer?

·
Is it cold in here?
7,371 Posts
Don't get the Gen 6!!!
I have the Gen7 and it's working great!!
I bought it from TurboPeople, they had the best price on it!!

·
Semi-Banned
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spankustang said:
Don't get the Gen 6!!!
I have the Gen7 and it's working great!!
I bought it from TurboPeople, they had the best price on it!!
whts wrong with the gen6?
what the diff in both?

ive got a price of 600$ for the gen6 w/laptop and all sensors,

what would be the diff in price to get the gen7? wouldnt the 6 be still more useful than the Tweecer r/t?

by the way, is the Gen6 a speed density system like the fast? or.,..?

·
Is it cold in here?
7,371 Posts
Yes, it's also speed density!!
But, it doesn't have tuning capabilities of the Gen7. With a turbo, you'll need more than the Gen6 has to offer. I had one and ended up selling it before I even installed it for that reason!
Job Jr. sold it to me for $1400 to the door, with everything I needed. (except wideband) Which I have an Innovate LM-1
It's worth the extra money!!!

·
Semi-Banned
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
spankustang said:
Yes, it's also speed density!!
But, it doesn't have tuning capabilities of the Gen7. With a turbo, you'll need more than the Gen6 has to offer. I had one and ended up selling it before I even installed it for that reason!
Job Jr. sold it to me for $1400 to the door, with everything I needed. (except wideband) Which I have an Innovate LM-1
It's worth the extra money!!!

well, if i had the extra cash id definetly would get the GEN 7,

i guess my question right now would be is if the GEN6 is atleast better than the Tweecer r/t?
which is what would be on the car for the meantime while i can get a GEN7.

i do plan on going with probably a FAST system later down the road, but to get the lil turbo project started.... im hoping the GEN6 is enough for now.

i guess one good thing is that it will be speed density and i can run either injectors i have w/out worrying about the MAF.

(another question, is i guess i can run low or high impedence injectors correct?)

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
you'll have the same "oops" head gasket problems with gen 6 as you will with a tweecer. There is no target air fuel map building, if you miss on one cell, when the engine gets there, it goes boom. It's bad enough to get right on a N/A setup, I can't imagine trying to turbo that without hurting anything.

·
Semi-Banned
6,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
grape said:
you'll have the same "oops" head gasket problems with gen 6 as you will with a tweecer. There is no target air fuel map building, if you miss on one cell, when the engine gets there, it goes boom. It's bad enough to get right on a N/A setup, I can't imagine trying to turbo that without hurting anything.

:( THAT'S NOT GOOD.........

i'm going to have to stick to the GEN6 for now, till i get the extra cash and can buy a GEN7,and just sell the gen6.

im sure the gen6 is better than the tweecer r/t correct? atleast better than not having anything to tune the poor stang.

ive got my lil winsor/complete aeromotive fuel system/cam/heads/ARP hardware & turbo setup ?methanol injection setup.

looking to get in the upper 600+rwhp levels easy. so i guess a good tuning software is a must!

·
Premium Member
2,783 Posts
I didn't mean to make it sound impossible, because it isn't. Gen 6 was light years ahead of a stock computer plus an FMU back in the mid 90's, but now most are spoiled with the closed loop wideband stuff. Hell, untill Felpro "Fast" came out in the late 90's everybody used gen 6. It's just time consuming, which means costly on a load cell dyno........NOT A DYNOJUNK INERTIA DYNO. An inertia dyno will be your biggest enemy to tuning, those 900 pound rollers have the ability to roll an engine right past a tuning hole that you WILL find on a race track or part throttle in everyday life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts