DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i just dropped my car in the shop tonight. After a quick glance, it appears that the AC clutch is sticking when the AC is disengaged, thus resulting in a metal on metal, scraping sound.

Now, the mechanic said he would have to go in and assess what kind of pressure(s) there are internally before they can decide whether or not to replace the entire AC compressor (guesstimated at $1000-$1200). What kind of pressures is he talking about? pressure plate pressures to engage/disengage, i assume?

He did not, however, guess at the price of just replacing the AC clutch.

Has anybody had a similar issue? How much did it run? Any suggestions as to where to take it (i live in Plano)? How difficult would this be to do on our own? We have a decent shop and some mechanically inclined guys willing to help for beer... (although we (they) have never done it before).

·
Thats against the law Man
6,482 Posts
Big question - what does it do when you turn the AC system on? Does it cool, and do you still hear the scraping sound from the clutch?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
generally, if you turn the AC off, it stops, but only temporarily. You will hear the scraping noise again - i assume as it re-compresses - or whatever it does...

The thing cools like there's not a problem at all. My only indication that there was a problem was the scraping noise.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Unless the compressor is locked up you should be able to just replace the clutch and I would replace the coil while your at it. Pressure should not be a problem an ac sitting in a parkinglot in the summer can have up to 180 psi even on the low side if the motor is hot and its over 100 ooutside.

·
Thats against the law Man
6,482 Posts
generally, if you turn the AC off, it stops, but only temporarily. You will hear the scraping noise again - i assume as it re-compresses - or whatever it does...

The thing cools like there's not a problem at all. My only indication that there was a problem was the scraping noise.
Don't let that crook mechanic try to tell you that you need a new compressor then. You only need a clutch...maybe a pulley too, but damned sure not a compressor for that symptom/problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless the compressor is locked up you should be able to just replace the clutch and I would replace the coil while your at it. Pressure should not be a problem an ac sitting in a parkinglot in the summer can have up to 180 psi even on the low side if the motor is hot and its over 100 ooutside.
out of curiosity, what is the coil? any idea what kind of a price i should expect - assuming its just the clutch?

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
The coil is basically a magnet that activates the clutch. Not sure how much they run but alot of times they can get messed up real easy when the clutch is replaced.

·
Registered
488 Posts
A new coil and clutch assembly will run you about $135 and isn't too hard to do yourself. If you are paying someone to do it for you, make sure you don't pay for more than 1 hour labor.

·
Resident Misanthrope
9,690 Posts
replacing the clutch is pretty easy. Remove the nut that holds it on, take out a snap ring or two remove the pulley and clutch, replace. You can rent some tools at Autozone to take it all off for free. You do need to make sure you have the correct gap so the clutch engages properly. You probably have a Sanden compressor and you can go to their web site and get a service manual that should give you some instruction on how to replace the clutch, or at least give you tolerances on the gap.

·
Procrastination Racing
9,224 Posts
The factory 98 cobra clutch had rubber molded to the clutch. The material wore out and the clutch was damaged. I put a new pulley and clutch on it and it worked fine for at least 3 more years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shit guys, i wish i would have checked the board today before I OK'd it. The cost to replace the clutch and coil came to 390 after it was all said and done.

180 for the assembly
180 for labor
30 misc parts...

the place was mastertech automotive in Plano

·
Banned
6,645 Posts
180 psi on the low side? Are you insane?:crackhead:

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Keep in mind the system was overcharged ( gotta love making money on someone else's fuckup) and the only way I knew it was that high is because some dumdass in our shop had two high side gauges on our set. Cause they bent the low side gauge, and instead of ordering a new low side that just put the other one on cause we had it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
not to hijack this thread but will that coil going bad cause it to start poping the ac relay in the ccrm??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts