DFW 'Stang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any body ever been there or lived there? My brother has a 72 VW camper bus and he plans on moving to Fairbanks in a few months. He plans on taking this thing with him. He will be living in the city for abut 2 years. I think it wouldn't be a good idea to take because of the van being air cooled and 2wd. He thinks that it shouldn't be any problems. What is your guys opinions?

·
Registered
147 Posts
van

unless he loves that fuckin thing I would burn it for I drug it to alaska. bugs suck in cold weather.

·
Banned
31,758 Posts
bugs kinda suck in all weather! :p

rear engine = traction

tell him to put an electric blanket on the oil pan so that he can pre-heat the thing in really cold weather, and he can always shroud/block air flow to the engine.

I say if he digs it to go for it.

I know a guy w/ an old bus. He drives it everywhere. Including the mountains of Colorado. The town we stay at is at 8,750ft and there's no way to get there without going over 10k. I can't IMAGINE trying to get a loaded VW bus over a 10,000ft pass!! LOL!

Forrest

·
Registered
373 Posts
Alaska

He's right you have to have a eng heater of some sort. He'll be able to find any and all kinds once he is there. Cause without it in the winter that VW or anyother vehicle will never start. You said going in a few months. He would want to go during late spring or summer. Its just not a safe trip otherwise especially in a older vehicle. Books are written on how to prepare and travel the ALCAN Hwy. Bear in mind its a 5 day trip once you get to Canada and in yokon territory the are stretches of hundered miles or more of nothing.
Once there fairbanks is like the size of granburry. anchorage is like arlington size wise except much more cosmopolitan. Did you know Juneau is not accessable by road. I was there for 3 years and having the moisture freeze in your nose in on contact with 20-40 below air was not my idea of fun.
some people love it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts