DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
you stinky bitch
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dont know why but I think it is important that people know the kinds of things that really happened during any particular war, movies like saving private ryan, pearl harbor, and full metal jacket are my favorite kinds of movies because they fairly accurately portray the events that really took place. My father is a Vietnam veteran and has told me only a few of the many storys that he has. I think it kind of bothers him to bring it all back up but I really like hearing them mainly because how good he is at putting you in his shoes while he tells the story and after 30+ years he can recall the smallest of details in these storys. He has been writing a book about all his life adventures form the war to the the job he took after it as a police officer and working undercover for a number of years. He wants to call it "From One War Zone To The Next" I hope he finishes it some day because "I" if nobody else want to know. Anyways I thought I would share a story he told me the other day that has really stuck with me, I dont remember some of the details but I will try to tell it like he told it to me.

He said that he and his squad of 11 other guys were out on ambush one night and when searching for a spot to set up they had noticed where a large group had passed through earlier. Since nobody was reported to be in the area they assumed that it was the vc. Near by the tracks they lucked out and found some fox holes about 20-25 yards out in the thick from a previous altercation they assumed that the french had made them since they tried to come in and clean house but ever so miserably failed. So they set up in the fox holes thinking that if it was the vc that they may come back through later in the night. After waiting about 3 hours they spotted a small patrol of and they let them pass through without firing on them because the tracks that they saw indicated a much larger force, sure enough about 15 minutes later a large concentration of vc came through in a semi tight bunch. He said they waited until they were about mid way even with the largest bunch of them and then they opened up. My dad told me that he carried a M-79 single round grenade launcher, he said that when they were just out of patrol that he carried the same weapon but that he also had a diffrent round that he could load in it, he described it as a mean as hell shotgun round full of xx buck shot. When he first fired his weapon that night he did not have a grenade round loaded in it. He set his sights of a man that was the closest to their position only about 15 yards away. Somthing else that produced some light just happened to go off in the background just as the vc soldier was hit with the round and my dad said his mid section just disentigrated (sp?) and his upper half was just kind of suspended in mid air for a fraction of a second and he could plainly see the light on the other side. They unloaded everything they had down to the last few rounds to be sure that they had killed them all, they wanted to be sure because of the much larger numbers compared to theirs. After the last round was fired they just sat and waited to detect for any movement, about 5 minutes later it came a monsoon rain storm so hard that he couldnt see his hand in front of his face. His buddies were spread out in adjacent fox holes and it was just him and 2 other guys in this particular fox hole. He said it rained for hours and eventually the fox holes filled up to the brim with water and they only held the tips of their faces up out of the water so they could breathe. The rain slacked off about day break and they came out of the holes to find zero survivors and 75 vc bodys.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Damn, wild story. I worked with a guy that was in 'Nam. He told me one story about his guys getting into a fire fight w/ other Americans. Some real cluster fuck shit. He was shaking all over after telling me about it. Crazy stuff.

·
User may be editing post.
12,013 Posts
the shame was it took 70% of the war for the troops to get acclaimated to the conditions, we had just got experienced in guerilla jungle combat and the dogs were called home.

·
The first, the original
7,397 Posts
My father-in-law was in the Korean War. He was a sniper in the 1st Calvary. It wasn't until the past 10 years that he has really allowed himself to cope with what he went through. He suffers from PTSD. He can't stand loud sudden noises. He cannot bear to here "Tennessee Waltz" because his buddy in the fox hole with him was whistling it when he was killed. He occasionally gets "global amnesia". Its where he forgets who everyone around him is and thinks its 1949 and he's still in the war. We take him to the hospital when this happens. I've seen it happen twice. You ask him questions and he will tell you he is 19 and that he is in a MASH. He tells the nurses he "needs to get back to the front." It lasts about 3 days. Not sure what triggers it. He watches a lot of war movies because to him it helps to think of what he went through as just a movie.

He tells me the stories his wife and kids can't bear to hear. As a sniper, your target is more personal. Sometimes you make eye contact. He was given orders once to shoot a woman carrying what looked like a baby. He described the whole ordeal in very gorey, sad detail. He had to follow his orders from a commanding officer who was threatening him if he did not shoot. This one event alone probably affected him most. He's told me about how his unit was out of ammo once and had to come out of their fox holes and fight with their bayonets. He had a picture drawn by an artist of him standing over a Korean soldier after he stabbed him with the bayonet. Not as boasting but I guess to help him cope. I think by seeing things in movies and pictures, it helps him try to pretend it never really happened. Like it was just a nightmare.

·
Pushed to the limit
4,510 Posts
I dated a girl who's father is a Vietnam Vet. He used to fly F-4 Phantoms and saw combat. I walked through his living room once while he was listening to CCR on his record player. He was sobbing uncontrollably.

·
Big "foot"
19,217 Posts
Good story. That shit is fucked up. If you like reading stuff like that, check out the first book written by the guy in my avatar:

<- "Demo Dick" Richard Marcinko. Rogue Warrior. Its an autobiographic telling of becoming one of the first Navy Seals, and the ass that he kicked in Nam.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-6019245-4562520?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

His other books are classified as fiction, but based on the same kind of stuff. Red Cell is a great book too. A nice perk to reading them is being able to string together cheif worthy cussing such as cock-breath-no-load-dip-dunk-shit-for-brains-blankety-blank... :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts