DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a carb'd blow thru set up 1 Aeromotive A1000 pump apparently is not enough (acceleration, 5500 and out of fuel). Would TWO? All you high HP guys, help out. What are you running? It must be able to run extended periods because it is going on a street car. Thanks in advance, Millsap

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got fuel pressure but the demand seems to be greater than the supply so the bowls empty... the motor goes lean... runs out of fuel... and dies! 2-3 seconds later with the throttle still wide open, it gets fuel again and takes back off! :eek: That is what I am talking about. Running out of fuel!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don't see how it would not supply enough fuel. Go to the Aeromotive website to see what that thing is rated to. For a carb application it should be well over 1000hp.

·
Frequent Flyer
9,148 Posts
With my EFI setup I'm running all stock lines, 255lph in-tank with a T-rex inline pump. I'm running out of fuel at 5500 with this setup. I could increase the pulse width (77lb injectors) but it wouldn't help at all. The pumps just can't do anymore. I need to see about rewiring the pumps because I think they aren't getting enough voltage. Above 5500 my fuel pressure gauge drops around 4-6psi up to 6K and my HP peaks. It's frustrating knowing you have about 50 more rwhp above your current "peak hp."

·
Married Man on 14Feb2010
14,140 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
AdamLX said:
With my EFI setup I'm running all stock lines, 255lph in-tank with a T-rex inline pump. I'm running out of fuel at 5500 with this setup. I could increase the pulse width (77lb injectors) but it wouldn't help at all. The pumps just can't do anymore. I need to see about rewiring the pumps because I think they aren't getting enough voltage. Above 5500 my fuel pressure gauge drops around 4-6psi up to 6K and my HP peaks. It's frustrating knowing you have about 50 more rwhp above your current "peak hp."
You need to install an Aeromotive system. You will probably be sucking the lines dry. My friend just bought all the stuff for his 96 Cobra. We will feed the pump with -10 and run -8 forward.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
do you have a relay wired to your pump? is your fuel filter not flowing enough? bypass it and see. that is an insane pump from what i've heard, i don't think your problem is with the pump unless it is defective.

·
Krylon
996 Posts
Aeromotive makes a 1200hp pump that I've replaced my 1000 with-

Its about $4xx.xx from Summit and has a -12 inlet, -10 outlet.

Should be good for 800rwhp with a forced induction application.

Good luck!

-Sean

·
Frequent Flyer
9,148 Posts
I've got a fuel system lined up, Aero pump, regulator, lines, rails everything is coming off a running car so we'll see.
Once it's on the car I'll re-dyno and see if I can crack the 600rwhp mark in the 306 :D

In the end after the next motor is finally done I'm probably going to switch to a Weldon setup.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am running a relay with 8awg wire to the relay and pump.

This is at the track, the dyno runs are fine.

I am using a boost sensitive Aeromotive regulator that is hard plumbed, 10AN feed, 8AN return, 6AN to each bowl. 8# base FP.

The filter is after the pump and is the Aeromotive mesh.

I'm running 17-19#'s of boost.

·
Worship me
34,345 Posts
That pump isn't enough, either get a Kenne Bell boost a pump or the eliminator pump which is the one that Andrew and I use.

The car will do fine on the dyno because it doesn't have to push the fuel as hard as when going down track.

·
Premium Member
5,884 Posts
AL P said:
That pump isn't enough...
I guess I will be in the market for a new pump too...have the same pump.

·
Im somebody's daddy!
14,602 Posts
IMO, try running with more gas in the tank. My car does the same thing at half a tank or lower...

·
Registered
570 Posts
I can't stand Aeromotive crap. I've had two of their Eliminator pumps go out on me. The last one I actually flowed after 200 miles on the car and it was flowing exactly .4gpm at 70psi and 12V. That is ridiculous, good for maybe 300rwhp. I was tuning the FAST on the car and all the VE numbers were over 100 by 3K rpm...so I knew something was wrong.

I now run a Weldon and with that switch alone (no changes in supply line or anything else) the system no flows 1.5gpm at 70psi and 12V. Now the VE numbers are in the 60s at 3K rpm and don't go over 100 until after 5K rpm.

Buy a Weldon and be done.

·
Frequent Flyer
9,148 Posts
Boost Addict said:
I can't stand Aeromotive crap. I've had two of their Eliminator pumps go out on me. The last one I actually flowed after 200 miles on the car and it was flowing exactly .4gpm at 70psi and 12V. That is ridiculous, good for maybe 300rwhp. I was tuning the FAST on the car and all the VE numbers were over 100 by 3K rpm...so I knew something was wrong.

I now run a Weldon and with that switch alone (no changes in supply line or anything else) the system no flows 1.5gpm at 70psi and 12V. Now the VE numbers are in the 60s at 3K rpm and don't go over 100 until after 5K rpm.

Buy a Weldon and be done.
Yep, several people running outlaw/renegade convinced me to go to Weldon as well. It may be a little more money but the quality is much better.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I would also recomend the weldon! Go with the 2025 it is fine for the street and you will probably never outgrow it.

·
Chassis Service
3,328 Posts
The Weldon 2025 is a damn good pump. I have been told that Aeromotive over-rates their pumps. It also depends on your feed line to the pump. You could just change that to a -12 line, to ensure the feed line is not running dry. How high above the the pick up is the pump mounted?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts