DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how feasible would it be to do a 5.0 motor in a 4.6 99 GT? i notice there are always a plentiful amount of cheap and proven parts for the 5.0. i would like to stay fuel injected but dont know the pros/cons of it vs carb.

i'm shooting for 400 + hp NA. any tips, tricks, ideas? best motor combo to achieve this? thanks for the insight

·
Rookie
14,219 Posts
11B2V_Mike said:
how feasible would it be to do a 5.0 motor in a 4.6 99 GT? i notice there are always a plentiful amount of cheap and proven parts for the 5.0. i would like to stay fuel injected but dont know the pros/cons of it vs carb.

i'm shooting for 400 + hp NA. any tips, tricks, ideas? best motor combo to achieve this? thanks for the insight
I really dont think it'd be worth it. Just save up for a whole 5.0 coupe or LX hatch for around 3-4K.

If you did do it. Id go carb to stay away from all the wiring stuff. Your going to need to stroke that 5.0 if you want to have 400 n/a horsepower. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stroked: yeah i was reading all the past posts and they said that was the way to go. i'm still in college so money is always tight. i'm looking for a cost effective solution for more hp/torque.

alot of the 5.0 engines run less than $1000 on this site and others so i figured it might cost less than blowing my 4.6 ($3k blower + fuel tank/pump stuff + tune)

·
FIRE!
2,028 Posts
11B2V_Mike said:

You can get a 324 stroker kit for that 4.6, p&p the headz, cam's and you'll have all the power you need

·
Rookie
14,219 Posts
11B2V_Mike said:
stroked: yeah i was reading all the past posts and they said that was the way to go. i'm still in college so money is always tight. i'm looking for a cost effective solution for more hp/torque.

alot of the 5.0 engines run less than $1000 on this site and others so i figured it might cost less than blowing my 4.6 ($3k blower + fuel tank/pump stuff + tune)
yea, its going to be expesive either way if you like the new body and want a lot a hp. I had to get away from the 4.6 myself. I'm happy with the 5.0.

·
FIRE!
2,028 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 5.0 swap into a 99 GT ??

GRAYHORSE said:
:eek: how much, and probably still wont make 350hp.

the 324 kit is freakin outragous (didn't know $ was a factor when i posted) the 302 stroker kit with p&p heads, and cams made 370-380 horse i think.

·
Rookie
14,219 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 5.0 swap into a 99 GT ??

spintechstang said:
the 324 kit is freakin outragous (didn't know $ was a factor when i posted) the 302 stroker kit with p&p heads, and cams made 370-380 horse i think.
Wow, that's awsome. I new HP and VT both had a stroker engine in the 350's. I heard VT was making a bigger stroker and was going to try and get over 400 out of it.
I had a 292 stroker once. I never got it to the dyno before it blew up though. :(

·
FIRE!
2,028 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5.0 swap into a 99 GT ??

GRAYHORSE said:
Wow, that's awsome. I new HP and VT both had a stroker engine in the 350's. I heard VT was making a bigger stroker and was going to try and get over 400 out of it.
I had a 292 stroker once. I never got it to the dyno before it blew up though. :(

The article is in one of the new mustang magazines, 5.0 I think.

When I get in the Air Force thats what im doing with my enlistment bonus, 324 and some BOOOST :D

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Re: Re: 5.0 swap into a 99 GT ??

spintechstang said:
who was the 302 stroker kit available through? would that be using my current motor over-bored and stroked or swapping to a 5.0 then stroking? any info would help. i want to stay with my body for sure. i would be happy with 380 ish until i could put a turbo/blower on it. thanks

did you put a 5.0 in a 4.6 greyhorse?

·
I'm # 209
3,562 Posts
The guy that works next door to me did a 5.0 swap into his 99. He got a complete motor, trans, and k-member. It bolted right up. He had to remove the dash to change the harness in it. And something with the steering column had to be changed also. Also have the use the 94-95 gas tank and fuel system/rails to have the return style set up. And it looks pretty awesome.

·
Registered
662 Posts
if your looking for a budget buildup I would think a carbed 351 would be the most bang for the buck

·
4 STAGES BIG N' DRY
7,159 Posts
11B2V_Mike said:

A 32v cobra motor would be a much easier swap, than the 302.

·
FIRE!
2,028 Posts

11B2V_Mike said:
who was the 302 stroker kit available through? would that be using my current motor over-bored and stroked or swapping to a 5.0 then stroking? any info would help. i want to stay with my body for sure. i would be happy with 380 ish until i could put a turbo/blower on it. thanks

Here's the heads up straight outta 5.0 mustang & super fords March 2004 issue:
The VT 5.0 with 11:1 pistons with stage II PI heads and n/a cams made 376hp and 385 ft lb's and you can get it for any set up n/a,nitrous,blower/turbo. the n/a kit will run you $3,400 the blower kit will set you back $3640
the 324 kit is $5695
give hpp racing in denton a call their the modular guru's

·
WFO Team Kicks Ass!!!
1,293 Posts
dude just stay with the 4.6 until you get out of school. throw some nitrous on it or a blower. the 5.0 might be a grand, but all the stuff to make it work is going to cost you alot more. if not sell the 99 you have and buy an older car. but i wouldnt tear up that car just for 50-100hp from a 5.0, that you can easily get out of 4.6 if you just do the right mods. by the time you buy all the exhuast, fuel system, ignition stuff, etc... you are looking at well over $3000. just buy the blower and enjoy the drivability of the 4.6 and the hp of a modded 5.0 when ya get a blower on it. Trust me it is NOT feasible to do what you are thinking and as cheaply as you are hoping. Just my 2 cents, but it is may not be that valuable, might even get change back. LOL.

·
Premium Member
33,187 Posts
Step 1: Sell the '99
Step 2: Buy a Fox-body
Step 3: Enjoy

Seriously, you can't put a 400hp pushrod motor in the '99 and have it pass a legit emissions test, ever. You can buy a 302 or 351-based engine for $1000, but you will spend another $3000 at least to get it in the car and running. Nickel and dime shit will kill you, and if you have to pay someone else to do the work - well, you could by a clean 400hp '93 coupe and just keep your '99 stock for the same money.

Small blocks make good power for cheap, but there is no easy and cheap way to put one in a '99+.

·
FIRE!
2,028 Posts

11B2V_Mike said:

Yes that would be using your current block and boring and stroking it. this would be a lot less hassle than trying to put a 5.0 motor outta a fox or sn-95, your 4.6 makes more power than either of those motors stock. '01 4.6 puts out 56.52 hp per liter in contrast the '95 Cobra 5.0 only put out 48hp per liter. and thats with a intake on the freakin thing!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Why on earth would you want to put a 5.0 in a 99+...should have just bought an older one to begin with if yo uwanted the 5.0 that bad..IMO its overated, just like the other guy said your 4.6 is putting more out stock then the 5.0 stock...so why not spend the 3k you would definately have to spend to get the 5.0 you want and throw a turbo or supercharger on your 99 and romp some shit? Or even stay NA and do everything else possible with 3k and you're car would definately kick ass and eat LS1's for breakfast

·
Got Lateral G's??
9,822 Posts
There are plenty of ways to get 330 and even 350 RWHP out of a 2V. You could do a 4V and get into the 380's but spend about 2/3 more than a 2V.

If you really want some advice, sell the 99+, buy a 90 LX notch and enjoy the supportive parts market and A LOT less weight. Also keep in mind that you can buy used parts for the 5.0 where the 4.6 used parts are usually broken stock parts......Trust me, I have been there and done that with this 2V and I wish I had never bought the damn thing. If I had a fox body and put as much money into it as I have my 2000, I would be faster than Andrew!!!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all the advice.. i was looking into getting a 91-93 foxbody gt a while back, but the market was pretty thin on black/black mint gt's for the money i had at the time.

guess i'll just put the little money i got into suspension stuff that way when i get out of school i can put a turbo/blower on it without paying for engine stuff twice.

anyone have a favorite type of lower control arms they use on their 99+. what brands should i stay away from. i want a suspension for aggressive street driving/ cornering. very little if any drag track racing. again thanks for the advice against the 5.0 motor. i owe yall a beer or two :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts