DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Got Lateral G's??
9,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started looking for one as a toy...but not wanting to spend a ton of money.

I like the stainless S&W, but are the Taurus Model 44's any good?

Also, need suggestion on barrel length. The 6" barrels look ghey...thinking 4" is all I want or need for just f'n around.

Suggestions from experience?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I started looking for one as a toy...but not wanting to spend a ton of money.

I like the stainless S&W, but are the Taurus Model 44's any good?

Also, need suggestion on barrel length. The 6" barrels look ghey...thinking 4" is all I want or need for just f'n around.

Suggestions from experience?

Thanks!
I have a Smith & Weson 41Rem.Mag that I want to sell.

If interested pm me we can work something out.
thanks

·
2-7 and still a fan!
16,954 Posts
I had a stainless steel S&W 626-6 .44 magnum, i had to sell it after it broke my hand, I sure did like that gun...'Henry

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
My dad has a S&W 629 with 4" barrel and its not bad to shoot but not as nice as my 7" Ruger. As far as fhe Taurus goes I^m not fond of anything they make and too me Ruger and S&W make the best wheel guns.Besides a Python but their only in .357

·
Registered
377 Posts
IS the Anaconda a .44? The Dan Wesson's are great they are freaking huge I had one that I traded for my S&W .41 mag.
I am not sure I would want a small and/or light revolver in .44 mag. The recoil wouldn't make it very much fun to shoot. It might be OK with .44 specials or light target loads, but "full bore" loads would be painful.

·
Lifer
12,430 Posts
I am not sure I would want a small and/or light revolver in .44 mag. The recoil wouldn't make it very much fun to shoot. It might be OK with .44 specials or light target loads, but "full bore" loads would be painful.
x2

That's why I don't want a .500 S&W. Been there, done that. Ask Patrick and CJ.:eek:mfg:

·
#4 Best QB Ever
29,339 Posts
IS the Anaconda a .44? The Dan Wesson's are great they are freaking huge I had one that I traded for my S&W .41 mag.
Yes, Anacondas are .44s (or .45 Colts IIRC).

I've got a Dan Wesson .445 SuperMag (hudge!), .44 Magnum (beefier than my S&W 657 .41 Magnum and uncle's 629 .44 Magnum), and .357 Magnum (slightly smaller than the 657 and 629). Love them all.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Yes, Anacondas are .44s (or .45 Colts IIRC).

I've got a Dan Wesson .445 SuperMag (hudge!), .44 Magnum (beefier than my S&W 657 .41 Magnum and uncle's 629 .44 Magnum), and .357 Magnum (slightly smaller than the 657 and 629). Love them all.
How is the recoil on the .445 I saw one out our local gun show last weekend and liked it alot.

·
#4 Best QB Ever
29,339 Posts
Harsh! Not pleasant to shoot at all. A 240 grain bullet at 1700+ fps (1500 foot-pounds of energy). Big boom. The blast itself gives me a headache (not the sound of the blast, if that makes sense) if I shoot it too much.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Understandable I really liked it and a S&W .460 but couldn't leave with either one kinda tore in between the two.

·
#4 Best QB Ever
29,339 Posts
The problem with the .445 is that nobody manufactures ammo for it. Either handload or just shoot .44 Magnums. With a .460, you can shoot .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W Magnum.

·
Got Lateral G's??
9,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The problem with the .445 is that nobody manufactures ammo for it. Either handload or just shoot .44 Magnums. With a .460, you can shoot .45 Colt, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W Magnum.
That's the funny part. A few months ago, .44 magnum was the ONLY thing on the shelves at Walmart. They even marked it down to get rid of it!!! LOL!!!

I am liking the S&W over the others but the Taurus "looks" smoother/cooler/newer if that makes any sense. I need to go renew my membership at Bullet Trap soon. I might see what they have in the test fire cabinet to see if I really want one of these hand cannons!

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
That's the funny part. A few months ago, .44 magnum was the ONLY thing on the shelves at Walmart. They even marked it down to get rid of it!!! LOL!!!

I am liking the S&W over the others but the Taurus "looks" smoother/cooler/newer if that makes any sense. I need to go renew my membership at Bullet Trap soon. I might see what they have in the test fire cabinet to see if I really want one of these hand cannons!

Thanks for the input guys!
Their fun and big bore revolvers can get kinda addictive in their own little way.

·
#4 Best QB Ever
29,339 Posts
.44 Magnum will always be around. But .445 SuperMag is unique; it's a longer case/cartridge .44 Magnum with a lot more power potential, and only Dan Wesson manufactured a gun for it. Somebody might have manufactured ammo for it at one point, but last I checked, nobody did/does.
Their fun and big bore revolvers can get kinda addictive in their own little way.
True, but I enjoy shooting my little S&W Model 60 .357 Mag as much as any of the big revolvers. All of my revolvers are more fun than my autos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts