DFW Mustang Forums banner

3g upgrade? and how did you wire it?

• No - stock type alternator, no 3G upgrade

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Yes - 3G, used only the existing wiring to new alternator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES - 3G, ran extra power wire (like 4ga) from alt to bat/sol (no fuse) to carry extra current

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES - 3G, ran extra power wire AND fused with something like a 130amp

Votes: 4 80.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I am curious, on the extra wiring discussed on the detailed smithmonte site, what have people actually done on their upgrades?

4alterstart.com told me I wouldn't need an extra power wire unless I went to the 175 amp 3G, the usual 130 amp 3G is fine without.

·
World Record Holder!
12,383 Posts
1988 5.8 LX said:
Ok I am curious, on the extra wiring discussed on the detailed smithmonte site, what have people actually done on their upgrades?

4alterstart.com told me I wouldn't need an extra power wire unless I went to the 175 amp 3G, the usual 130 amp 3G is fine without.
I've go two fuel pumps and an electric fan. The stock wiring would have burnt up.

·
IA2
22,413 Posts
If you follow the two orange/black wires back they merge into a single 10ga (I think that's the size) wire which is inadequate for a 130amp alt. I know some have just attached the OEM wire to the 130 and it worked but some have actually burned up that wire.

Just put on a 4ga fused wire and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I'm currently running around with a 3G 130A running a #4 wire without a fuse. I've got a fuse holder in the house, with fuses, but I haven't had time to make a weatherproof housing for them. Not really needed, but I'd like to do it right.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts