DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I didn't do it
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what your opinion is on which motor would be better in a Fox coupe. Lets say you are torn between two set ups. One idea is a carbed 351W motor with good heads, cam and carb with a decent NOS plate system backed by a nice C4. The other is a rebuilt stock 302 with a healthy cam and good heads with a nice sized blower and a strong 5 spd tranny. Let's also say the car will see mostly 1/4 mile duty with a few afternoon cruises on the street. Lets say you have a decent budget. Not unlimited, but no skimping on quality parts. What would you build and why?

·
How you doin'
28,254 Posts
JMHls1 said:
What would you build and why?
does this have to be in essay form, and do we have to provide resources? j/k :D

i would have to go with the 351W because it will hold more power than a 302, unless you go with the R-blocks, and the cost difference is minimal. also, why isn't there an option for a blown 351?

·
I didn't do it
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: 351W vs. Stock 302

STANGGT40 said:
does this have to be in essay form, and do we have to provide resources? j/k :D

i would have to go with the 351W because it will hold more power than a 302, unless you go with the R-blocks, and the cost difference is minimal. also, why isn't there an option for a blown 351?

Well what is the cost difference between running a carbed 351 vs. a blown fuel injected 351? I am going to start a project car in April. I want to start gathering info so I can have an idea about what to build. Those two set ups seemed to be the best "bang for the buck" set ups. What is involved parts wise, to convert a 4 cylinder Fox to a 351W Fuel injected set up?

·
I didn't do it
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oxidizer187 said:
Go with the 351W all the way. Plain and simple 8.2 deck vs 9.5 deck.

This may be a stupid question but here goes. What is the importance of the deck?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Stroke to rod ratio is much better with a 351 than with a 302. Right now I am building a 306 only because I can't afford to do a 351 yet. I would not build a 347 or a 408+ because of the stroke to rod ratio. Let me add for a street driven engine so I dont piss off AL P.:D

·
Premium Member
8,772 Posts
I asked the same question months ago and got a shit load of opinions that confused the hell out of me. I was trying to decise whether to go 351 or 347. I decised to go with 347 because (#1) I don't plan to drive it everyday (#2) I got a few parts already I don't fill like sending them back for a refund. So good luck on whatever u decise to do.

·
I didn't do it
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the margin in cost diffrence between a carbed 351W and a fuel infected blown 351W?

·
Registered
493 Posts
351 w. Torque is so much fun! I can put mine in 4th or 5th, let off the clutch slowly and the motor will move the car and not stall! Try that in a 5.0. Not that being able to do that wins races, but.. you get the idea.

It's the fun to drive factor, and the stroker capability that's great.

Downside is hood clearance on EFI, and extra parts to make the conversion from 5.0, like damper, dist, hood, lower intake, oil pan, flywheel, etc, about $1000/1500 vs 5.0.

I did mine on my '88 Coupe in '95 and have nvr regreted it. Of course I learned the hard way a t5 tranny, sticky McCreary's and a hard 2nd gear shift will destroy a T5 behind a Windsor in no time...

I have to think it would help resale value? don't know. Look at Lidio's blown '88, alternativeauto.com, for a blown 351 (392) car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts