DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the amazement of my wife, I have kept all my old Super Ford and MMFF magazines, back to the early 90's! She has wanted me to throw them out, but I found some articles in June and August 94 of Super Ford that are interesting, regarding blowers and 351w efi:

First n/a the 351 of R&E Racing made 357 hp / 428 ft lb torque. It was a pretty basic low bdgt Windsor w/ some decent 2.02 heads, small Crane 212/220 @ 0.050 .520/.542 lift hyd retro roller, gt40 intake, stock bottom end, hyp pistons, about 8.9:1 CR.

Next, 3 blowers were fitted:

A trim 3.125" pulley - 6 psi, 513 hp, 556 torque
B trim 3.125" pulley = 6 psi 525 hp, 565 torque
B trim 2.75" pulley = 8.7 psi 566 hp, 602 torque
R trim 2.5" pulley = 11.4 psi 613 hp, 619 torque

I assume they had a 6.875 crank pulley. I'm wondering if going with a larger crank will help reduce the belt slippage, is it worth doing, then staying with a larger dia blower pulley as well. What size crank pulleys are available in 8 rib? I have seen a renegade one at 8", any others?

For example if 6.875/2.75 = 2.5 ratio, then if I get a 8/3.33 = 2.4 ratio - might expect just less than 8 psi? Anyone here run the 8" dia crank pulleY?

Wow 1994, about 9 yrs ago, I'm glad I kept those old magazines!! I'm sure my wife thought I would never open them again!

·
Rolling with the homies
31,056 Posts
I kept all of mine to from the early 90's. I think my first MM&FF was when Jim Campisino (sp? whatever) took over as editor. It had the first shootout between the 93 Cobra and the then new LT1 Z-28. SuperFord used to have the best articles and MM&FF had the better ad's and pictures.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are engine numbers only. Looked like the motor was a very mild, low compression, 351w, no tricks.

I will go back and add the rpm points for ea test, that was interesting too, how low they were n/a, and how the blower changed them.

gt350mustang said:
are those engine hp#'S or rw from a chassis dyno?

·
Worship me
34,275 Posts
I've got all those old issues too.

In fact I specifically remember that article because at the time I was working at the GM plant in Arlington and I brought that thing to work and used to read it over and over....dreaming about putting together a supercharged 351W while assembling all of those Impalas and Caprices...LOL

Anyway, you are correct on the 8" crank pulley, it will reduce belt slippage quite a bit. You can find a used cog setup for cheaper though, those 8" crank pullies are about $150 used and over $200 new. If you look you can get a whole set of cog pullies that will let you end up at the same ratio for $150. So from a cost point of view those big ribbed pullies don't make too much sense.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AL P said:

Anyway, you are correct on the 8" crank pulley, it will reduce belt slippage quite a bit. You can find a used cog setup for cheaper though, those 8" crank pullies are about $150 used and over $200 new. If you look you can get a whole set of cog pullies that will let you end up at the same ratio for $150. So from a cost point of view those big ribbed pullies don't make too much sense.
Al: Thnks for the feedback I worked in Arl too, at J&J on 360/Arbrook. Q, one thing I have read a lot on Vortech's and other's site is that the head unit has to be rated to handle cog pullies, you can't just use cogs on any head unit (?) (what is a 'heavy duty' model? - I have a S trim V-1):

from Vortech's site:
44. Can I run a cog drive system with a Vortech supercharger?
The only Vortech supercharger designations that may be driven with a cogged type belt drive are heavy duty models. They feature special internal modifications that are compatible with cogged type belt drive systems. There still exists the very real possibility of supercharger damage when using this type of drive, but this special configuration is more tolerant. An inherent design characteristic in serpentine belts is a certain amount of belt slippage. This mainly occurs on deceleration, but may also occur on acceleration if the belt is too loose or if the belt being utilized is not of sufficient width to transmit the horsepower being generated.

And on the cost, the 8" Ren new from Vtch is $185 alone; or $215 (new pulley pack w/ 8" crk, 2.85, 3.00, OR 3.15 blwr pulley, retainer, tensionor, and belt (which may not be right L due to 351w), so that sounds reasonable.
On the cogs, I could use 73 toothx30 tooth = 2.4, but the new price is $468, I could look to see if I can find a used set for $150.

·
Worship me
34,275 Posts
Yea, you can find them used. Don't go with ANY blower pulley that has less than 30 teeth though. 30 is the minimum, any lower than that and your belts won't last long because there aren't enough teeth contacting the pulley and they will sheer off.

On the bearings, that is BS. I have run cogs on plenty of plain old V1s. The HD model has bigger bearings but as long as you don't get too crazy with belt tension any of their blowers will last with cog pullies.

That is a decent price on the 8" crank pulley, I would still go with cogs though, then you have NO belt slippage, it takes that out of the equation.

For cogs on a 302 you will need a Gates part#T146 with a crank pulley that has 73 teeth or less. With 75 tooth or larger crank pullies you will need Gates part#T125. On a 351 you will need a Gates 1440 M8 30 (the part# may be out of sequence but those are the specs for the belt, 1440mm length, 8mm tooth spacing, and 30mm width).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Al:

Hey thks, you're a fountain of knowledge, that helps me out!

Andrew

·
Turbobrooks
15,610 Posts
AL P said:
Yea, you can find them used. Don't go with ANY blower pulley that has less than 30 teeth though. 30 is the minimum, any lower than that and your belts won't last long because there aren't enough teeth contacting the pulley and they will sheer off.
<--- knows this firsthand!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are the rpms for the peak hp and torque #'s, from the magazine for the engine only R&E Racing dyno test, back in '94:

First n/a 351 ci - 357 hp @ 5000 rpm / 428 ft lb torque @ 4000 rpm

(as a comparison, my similar 351 ci n/a w/ same cam, 2.5 cats, shorty headers, made 287 hp @ 4800 rpm, 366 @ 3600 rpm, rear wheel numbers)

... back to the magazine #'s....for drooling purposes...

Next, 3 blowers were fitted by R&E Racing:

A trim 3.125" pulley - 6 psi, 513 hp @5000 , 556 torque @ 4500
B trim 3.125" pulley = 6 psi 525 hp @ 5000, 565 torque @ 4500
B trim 2.75" pulley = 8.7 psi 566 hp @ 5250, 602 torque @ 4750
R trim 2.5" pulley = 11.4 psi 613 hp @ 5250, 619 torque @ 5000

Interesting how low the rpm peaks are but may be due to 212/220 @ .050 duration cam.

I decided to go w/ 8 rib instead of cog for now, Al P, I found an 8" crank pulley for $100 and I had a 3.333 so I can start out easy, and have a lot of belt contact.

·
Premium Member
5,347 Posts
Those outputs on a budget blown 351W...well I guess that will be the recipe for go fast nowaday ;)

302 to 351W conversion aren't that difficult nor expensive ( except for the few of us on this board that took to the extreme and blown holes in their wallets)...

just like any other project...gotta plan ahead.

If I have a B50, A4, or even a R302 in the slobra now...I am still not all satisfied just because it wasn't really a challenge.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tphan said:

Those outputs on a budget blown 351W...well I guess that will be the recipe for go fast nowaday ;)

302 to 351W conversion aren't that difficult nor expensive ( except for the few of us on this board that took to the extreme and blown holes in their wallets)...

just like any other project...gotta plan ahead.

If I have a B50, A4, or even a R302 in the slobra now...I am still not all satisfied just because it wasn't really a challenge.
Well how's your Windsor doing, last time we talked you were about to investigate tranny and rear seal...I can't wait to hear that mega motor!

Yes, the conversion is easy from 5.0 to 5.8, my only wish is it could be done with the stock hood (without solid motor mounts) for a street stealthy application.

·
Premium Member
5,347 Posts
1988 5.8 LX said:
Well how's your Windsor doing, last time we talked you were about to investigate tranny and rear seal...I can't wait to hear that mega motor!

Motor is running fine despite the unknown rear engine oil leak. Tranny issue will be address here shortly...pretty sure the tc got pulled away from the front pump.

Hopefully she will be back on the road by spring 03.

·
Is it Beer:30 yet?
398 Posts
FYI,

I'm currently belt hunting and thought I would share some info.

First off the Gates belts are sold as timing belts.

1440 M8 30 (dunno the exact Gates pn for this) = 56.69" in length
T125 = 56.25"
T146 = 54"

For those autoparts stores that refuse to look anything up for you, you can find these belts used on:

T125 - 1992-1995 Toyota MR2 (there may be other years/makes/models)

T146 - 1988-1991 Mazda 929 v6 3.0L SOHC (there may be other years/makes/models)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.