DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well long story short, I've done the swap and trying to hook up my H-pipe ( have vert motor mounts). The clearance is good but the H-pipe bolted up and the driver side header sealed but the passenger side did not... it only sealed about halfway like the angle of the pipe was off.. I think I may have gotten screwed on my swap headers theirs no brand stamped. Just curious if anyone has run into this problem as well. I'm thinking I might be able to cut the H section and bolt the tubes up by them selfs and then maybe all I would have to do is a small bit of fab work. to the H section to get everything to fit right. Anyone else have to do this? (Mine is an 85gt that I'm doing mine in with a T-5)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Well long story short, I've done the swap and trying to hook up my H-pipe ( have vert motor mounts). The clearance is good but the H-pipe bolted up and the driver side header sealed but the passenger side did not... it only sealed about halfway like the angle of the pipe was off.. I think I may have gotten screwed on my swap headers theirs no brand stamped. Just curious if anyone has run into this problem as well. I'm thinking I might be able to cut the H section and bolt the tubes up by them selfs and then maybe all I would have to do is a small bit of fab work. to the H section to get everything to fit right. Anyone else have to do this? (Mine is an 85gt that I'm doing mine in with a T-5)

Thanks
the 351w is a little wider i think than a 5.0. i ran into this same problem when i put a 393w in my a 95. i just took it to an exhaust shop and had them bend the pipe on the side that wasnt sealing over a little.

·
Full tilt boogie !!
10,207 Posts
I'm sure any muffler shop can make the hpipe fit. If you werent in saginaw i would say takeit to Muffler king in Dallas, i know he can fix it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, thanks that's all I could come up with man it was late and I was pissed just trying to get it to seal. But I think I egg shaped the bottom of my header a little so I hope I dont have to buy new headers. If so what headers did you use?

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
in my car i was running mac shorties for a 5.0 (not 351w swap) and normal energy poly motor mounts. i ran an ebay h-pipe that i had to take to the muffler shop and have them bend a little which is what i mentioned above.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm thats good to know I was worried about clearance. I'm thinking if I did trash my header I'd order the BBK shortys. The price isn't too crazy and haven't heard anything bad about them. The longtubes look like a bitch!

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Hmm thats good to know I was worried about clearance. I'm thinking if I did trash my header I'd order the BBK shortys. The price isn't too crazy and haven't heard anything bad about them. The longtubes look like a bitch!
they are. i had a buddy with a 351w in his 95' also and he said the longtubes weren't worth the trouble in his opinion. plus he said it's a pain to access the starter with them.

·
Brawlin Bird
1,358 Posts
I noticed the ball flange on my BBK 351 swap shorties was a little egg shaped right out of the box . Its always hard to get the passenger side to not leak .

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the responses, I got my h-pipe apart I'll see how it goes. I do have another question. I noticed my intake was leaking at the rear (Doh) so I'm gonna fix it. I currently have a b cam in it with some SVO 1.6s I don't believe I'll be very pleased with it. I'm thinking of swicthing to a TFS stage one or two cam. I have some Holley sys. max 2s that have been ported and I'm running a macthed Vic Jr. and some shortie headers. Any suggestions on either cam? (Car is a 5speed car)

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I got my h-pipe apart I'll see how it goes. I do have another question. I noticed my intake was leaking at the rear (Doh) so I'm gonna fix it. I currently have a b cam in it with some SVO 1.6s I don't believe I'll be very pleased with it. I'm thinking of swicthing to a TFS stage one or two cam. I have some Holley sys. max 2s that have been ported and I'm running a macthed Vic Jr. and some shortie headers. Any suggestions on either cam? (Car is a 5speed car)

Thank you.
you'll be much happier if you get a custom cam matched to your set up.

·
Semi-Banned
6,602 Posts
BBk long tube headers are the shit!

I've had some on a car in about 15 minutes because they fit so damn smooth.

Loosened the motor mounts one at a time and lifted the engine from the crank and they slid right in; and I had easy access from both above & below.

·
Narcissistic fade away
17,504 Posts
If you are in Saginaw, just take it to Phils muffler shop on Main street - he's done a LOT of work for me and several of the board members. Super cool guy and great work.

He's right on main street just before the long street intersection.

·
Sign I saw on the ground:
2,257 Posts
As the 351 is taller & wider, the 351 swap header is not designed so much to allow you to bolt up to your old exhaust as it is to give you shorties w/ workable clearances.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are in Saginaw, just take it to Phils muffler shop on Main street - he's done a LOT of work for me and several of the board members. Super cool guy and great work.

He's right on main street just before the long street intersection.
He is good I've used him for everything.

·
Brawlin Bird
1,358 Posts

Thank you.
I have a TFS 1 in my 351 and it is small for the combo but the torque and drivability is great for a heavy auto vert . I would suggest a larger cam for your combo .

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im thinking of going with a TFS stage 1 cam I've heard alot of good things...

·
Brawlin Bird
1,358 Posts
Im thinking of going with a TFS stage 1 cam I've heard alot of good things...
If you wanna see how it runs come on over and go for a ride with me . That may help you make up your mind . I am in North Richland Hills so it aint far .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts