DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
11-05-09
21,427 Posts
kennybo said:
I have an 87, GT, T-Top, 5.0 HO, 5 Speed. If I'm not mistaken, I beleive they have 225 HP from the factory. I was just wondering what the most practical and affordable way to reach 300 HP would be?
They're rated at 225 at the flywheel.. Now you have to add in age, wear and tear on the motor, etc. etc. I'd say you'd probably put down ~190 hp 250tq.

Go for A H/C/I package, and the other misc stuff needed for that. Won't be cheap, but won't be too expensive. Good luck

·
Banned
20,196 Posts
heads, cam, intake, full exhaust, injectors, mass air conversion, big mass air meter.

all that shit should get you there, at least at the flywheel. I have an 87' too:)

·
FIRE!
2,028 Posts
Exhaust is always a good place to start,
3.73's
Edlebrock Performer RPM 5.0
AFR 165's
24lb injectors
F-cam
NAWSSSS!:D

Has AFR came out with any 4.6 stuff yet:confused:

·
in memory of "lil' Roy"
11,775 Posts
with $1500 it will be impossible to buy everything new to make that much HP! but maybe from this website you can do it? the H/C/I and exaust,gears, and of course the most important thing NITROUS!!!!!!! :D

·
With the T-Tops off
1,778 Posts
I understand where you are coming from, but to reach your rear wheel HP goals you are going to have to find some hella good deals on a NICE H/C/I combo with all the goodies to do it for your price range and no hose. It can be done, but it sure is fun pull'n on them and still have the button to play with. Nitrous would be a safe economical way to do it for a cheaper up front investment.

Just my .02 though....

Oh, and watch who your call'n punk.....

;)

·
Jetting the Fogger
1,052 Posts
300 horsepower is easily attainable with a good set of heads(TW's, AFR's, etc...), intake, and matching camshaft. With all the combinations of proven parts out there today, 300horsepower is as easy as picking up a phone. Keep in mind you'll need to modify your fuel system to keep up with the demands of a higher horsepower engine.

·
Banned
20,196 Posts
Here is what I got to hopefully get me to 300hp or around that.
Edelbrock performers 1.94" intake/ 1.6"exhaust-$800(ebay)
Cobra intake(upper ported w/ 65mm t/b)-$200(Lotsa' trading)
Anderson N-412 cam-$280(andersonfordmotorsport.com)
24lbs injectors-$20(friend)
granatelli mass air-$180(ebay)
1.6 rockers-haven't got them yet but should be around $100
Then there's a lot of gaskets you have to buy.

That's right around $1500 minus the gaskets.

That's the main stuff, I got my other stuff on here too.
Pulleys-$70 (I think?)
Headers-$50
Dr. Gas offroad X - $75
Flows-came with car - $4300 w/ 86K miles:)

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Screw Nitrous. That's for punks..

Well i guess youre not a punk with a bad experience:D

·
World Record Holder!
12,383 Posts
A good set of aluminum heads, intake and a decently streetable cam will put you right at 290rwhp. To support those items, you will need at least a 65mm throttle body, bigger mass air meter, headers, high flow h-pipe, cat back, new fuel pump, bigger injectors and it really wouldn't hurt to throw in an MSD 6A ignition box with a blaster TFI coil. My car made 306rwhp naturally aspirated with all of the above mentioned parts (with the exception of the MSD and my car had a miss at the torque peak on the dyno). I had low compression for a turbo later on and a turbo specific cam as well. With more compression, better N/A cam and a proper set of headers (I had some crappy shorties), it could have made 320 to 325rwhp. The kicker is that my ported set of TFS heads, just blew your budget. How much horsepower do you want?

·
FIRE!
2,028 Posts
kennybo said:
Screw Nitrous. That's for punks.. There's no better feeling in the world than to have some punk spray me, and I'm still pulling away. All motor. All motor

So your calling me a punk????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts