DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they going to make one, and will it be supercharged like the '03? Kenny_stang, feel free to post up all 400 links you have on the subject ;)

·
Tha Closer
1,494 Posts
Not sure if they are planning on making an 04 but from what I heard 03 will be the only superchaged motor. I have read speculation of the the 5.0 commng back out with the DHOC set up. :confused:

·
Texas Rangers #1
10,592 Posts
AbecX said:
Are they going to make one, and will it be supercharged like the '03? Kenny_stang, feel free to post up all 400 links you have on the subject ;)
:mad:

I've heard rumors that they might skip '04 and just have a long '03 run. The next Cobra ( which will be a '05 but will go on sale mid '04 ) will have 400+ HP not sure if it will be N/A or not, but there are some speculations that the 5.OL DOHC "Cammer" motor will make an appearance. :)

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks kenny.

·
¯\(º_o)/¯
25,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GARS02GSTA said:
With a face like that all he can do is dream.......:D
Quit it with the small talk!

·
my name doesn't mean coke
1,478 Posts
found some info on the 2004 mustang

I know it is not the cobra but interesting

Motor Trend 2004 Mustang Article
October 1, 2001

Motor Trend recently published an article on the 2004 Ford Mustang. It provides some insight into the 2004 Mustang that differs somewhat from what I discussed here in a past article.

The most important part of the article is probably not its contents (although the engine and horsepower discussions got my attention), but are the included artist concept drawings of the 2004 Mustang. There are two views of the car, one showing the front and side and another showing the back and side. Please tell me this is not really the car! The front view looks to me to be a 2000 Chrysler Sebring with side scoops and Cobra fog lights. The rear view looks like a Saturn coupe with dual exhaust. The S197 Mustang is to draw heavily from the 1967-1970 Mustangs, but the only thing that remotely reminds me of those years is the Mustang corral with the horizontal bar.

The article mentions much of the information that is already known about the 2004 Mustang, such as that it will be based on the DEW platform, will have technology improvements, and that it will be built at Flat Rock instead of Dearborn. It is mentioned in the article that the modern facility of Flat Rock is being used to improve the quality of the Mustang (which all Mustang owners are in favor of), but I think that many of the quality problems that Ford has with the Mustang are probably due to the fact that Mustang owners are pickier about their cars than other Ford owners.

There are many new tidbits in the article that I did not know previously. Production is scheduled to begin in February of 2003 (isn't that early for a 2004 car?). Also, all Mustangs (not just the Cobra) will have independent rear suspensions (did we fix the problems with these?). They even mention that the Cobra may get a steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifter like Formula 1 cars (is this necessary?).

The article mentions the Bullitt, Mach 1, and Boss concept vehicles and states that special editions will continue with the S197 platform and not just for V8s, but V6s as well. It states that these models will come with higher performance engines from regular Mustangs. The Mach 1 could get a superchargd 4.6L, the Boss would get a 5.0L, etc. The 2004 Mustang GT will probably get 285 horsepower and the 2004 Cobra as much a 350 horsepower.

I am not sure how accurate all of the information is at this point (and even if it is completely accurate, how much of it will change by 2004), but it is interesting to check out at this point. I am not really sure how accurate the drawing really is considering that it has both side and rear exhaust. I don't think Ford is conceptualizing a car that has both. Also, the horsepower numbers are most likely a little inflated (remember the expected horsepower numbers of the Bullitt?) and with the Camaro and Firebird going by the wayside, a little unnecessary and costly. I also have read in several places that the push rod engine is no longer an option at Ford and so the 5.0L engine is out of the question.

No matter, it is all still quite interesting. You can always find new concept drawings and specs for the 2004 Mustang.

here are some links to concept drawings

http://www.lovefords.org/features/04_mustang.htm
http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied/112_0109_ponycar/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts