DFW Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the deal. As most you know, my motor is fucked. I was thinking about buying a 2002 GT motor and putting it in my car. The motor has 3-4k miles on it, but no intake. Couldn't i just put my intake on that motor? In this case, i wouldn't have to change the ecu correct?

Do you have to change the computer if i put a 2002 GT Motor in my 97? If so, couldn't i just put my intake off my motor right now, onto the 2002 GT motor and keep my computer?

Will this 02' GT motor bolt directly in my car? Any mounting differences??

I'm still waiting on the guy with the 02 GT motor to get back to me, but i really wanna buy that motor and put it in my car. Thanks!

Brian

· Premium Member
4,032 Posts
You can use the same computer but the intake must be a 99-up intake as the ports are different. You will have to retain the coils, wires from your 97 as the 02 has coil on plug which you will not use unless you want a big pain in your ass. Another thing to look for is the crank are there 6 bolts or 8 cause some are different. If it is then you will also nee a new flywheel.othere than that it should be a easy swap. Same block.

· DERP DERP DERP
37,341 Posts
the motor should bolt directly in, but I dont think the intake will from your car, If I remember right,you need a 99+ intake.;)
Jeremy

· DERP DERP DERP
37,341 Posts

· Rookie
13,622 Posts
Motor swap

I would use your MAF also. If the heater hose does not come with the 2002, the 97 will not work under the 02 intake. Also your wireing harness has two plugs for the 97 intake. 99+ has one so you must prefab. a "T" two use both sensiors.

Buy that 02 engine! P.I. heads are the shit. Greg

· DERP DERP DERP
37,341 Posts
96BluOvl said:
My spelling has been sucking lately!!!!
lol, ok, wasn t sure what the hell you were talking about:D

Jeremy

· Registered
638 Posts
Also your wireing harness has two plugs for the 97 intake. 99+ has one so you must prefab. a "T" two use both sensiors.
I bought a temp sensor kit, with wiring and the T for my swap. I didn't see anyone say anything about the fuel system. U are going to have to put your fuel rails on it. BTW i have done the swap it's not that bad.

· Registered
638 Posts
Some of the plugs on the 99+ motors are different u just have to do some cuting and pasting with the two intake harness's. And i had to buy a new flywheel.

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, im confused! Not really, but just answer this question.

Can i put a 99+ GT Motor in my 1997 GT withouth having to switch the computers and wiring harness?? If i use the 99+motor and intake, im talking FULL COMPLETE MOTOR will it bolt directly in, and can i use my computer with it? Thanks!

Brian

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Or...are there any crate motors that will bolt directly in? And use my same computer?

Or...who can rebuild this block i have quick, and have like all forged internals, maybe like Marcus' Rio Red GT. ;)

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bottle fed said:
whats wrong with your motor?
I don't know what is wrong with my motor, but we obviously think it's a broken piston. My dad doesn't really wanna pay to have the motor pulled, and pay for labor to find out that it's something in the shortblock, when we can already pretty much know it's in the shortblock, like a piston or something.

So he would rather just buy another motor, hopefully crate (since it will be brand new) or rebuild this motor completely with all forged internals.

Brian

· Registered
638 Posts
I don't think they sell them as crate motors. Just look around u can find one pretty easy. start looking on corral, stangnet, ebay.
I got a new motor cause i dropped a valve. pull the valve covers off and see if u have a valve spring in half and a missing valve.

· Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea i live in Waco, Tx. I don't wanna buy a motor that i can't see before paying for it. I wanna be able to look at it before i buy it. I just might rebuild this one with some nice alluminum heads/and some good cams and etc...oh and forged internals.

Fuck, i oughta just put a 347 stroker in it, and put a t5 in it as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.