DFW Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know the main difference is 385 vs 405 hp... but what makes the difference in power? would it be worth it to save a few grand and buy 2001 then do the upgrades oneself or to just buy the 2002 ....
what about suspension differences?
thanks for the help

·
Renegade Vette owner
1,153 Posts
I researched the '01s when they first came out. I was tempted to buy one. Then I heard about a few oil-control issues with the then-new LS6. Turns out it was more than a few, and I'm glad I didn't get one. Lots of the '01s burn oil and end up having the engine torn down by the local dealer. It's a ring packaging issue.

The suspension differences are minor, but worth it as the '02 rides more comfortably and yet still corners just as hard. The '04 shocks are a great upgrade from either model.

The difference in power is derived from several things...1) a freer flowing air filter/intake setup, 2) no "pre-cats" on the '02+ cars, 3) and a more aggressive cam in the '02+ cars (with lighter valvetrain).

An '01 can _easily_ be brought up and beyond a stock '02 in terms of power. That is not the issue. But if you get an '01, make SURE you know its service history b/c you could run into an oil burner.

·
Renegade Vette owner
1,153 Posts
I think there are some very minor suspension changes (shock valving), although that may be the '04s only. I know the '04 shocks are different, and I upgraded to those recently.

As far as the powerplant, brakes, trans, interior... the '02s are identical to the '03 and '04s.

Here's a good forum for info: www.z06vette.com

Prices are good for low-mileage, unmodded C5 Z06s. If you're in the market for one, and you look around, you should be able to get a good deal on a mint car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts