DFW Mustang Forums banner

Thinking about joining a gym...

660 views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  PonyFever 
#1 ·
This is my first time i've ever posted in this forum....

Looking for opinions...there are only two gyms around where I live, Nautilus, and AnyTime fitness.

Anyone use either one? Opinions?

I'll say this, Nautilus is attractive to me because it is right down the road from where I live. I just went by there and spoke with one of their desk guys.

#4 ·
HECDOGGIE said:
All you gotta do bro is SHOW UP!

Thats the hardest part,,, Show up, work out, go home... the rest is trivial, unless you
are trying to get big, then you need to look at machines, free weights etc....

thats what I was thinking.....I decided to quit smoking today..and then the thought of the gym followed. i'm not really looking at getting big, but trimming up. I'm 5 foot 9.5 inches tall, and weigh about 192. Looking to trim down quite a bit, and try to be rid of the effects of smoking. Wanna cut the fat .

#5 ·
NTexas_V-Star said:
thats what I was thinking.....I decided to quit smoking today..and then the thought of the gym followed. i'm not really looking at getting big, but trimming up. I'm 5 foot 9.5 inches tall, and weigh about 192. Looking to trim down quite a bit, and try to be rid of the effects of smoking. Wanna cut the fat .

Let me let you in on a secret, I smoked for 7 years... I quit two years ago and ME at 5' 6" got up to 193!

About a month ago I was down to 163 ... Now I am trying to bulk up, so , as of now I am about 174.,I would like to be up to 185 / 190 solid... GOAL WEIGHT!

I would highly suggest getting on VENOM HYPERDRIVE... This will supress your appetite, which, quitting smoking will increase your appetite...

On top of that, VH will keep your energy levels up....

BTW- Greg (grayhorse) has the best prices on Hyperdrive !

#6 ·
HECDOGGIE said:
Let me let you in on a secret, I smoked for 7 years... I quit two years ago and ME at 5' 6" got up to 193!

About a month ago I was down to 163 ... Now I am trying to bulk up, so , as of now I am about 174.,I would like to be up to 185 / 190 solid... GOAL WEIGHT!

I would highly suggest getting on VENOM HYPERDRIVE... This will supress your appetite, which, quitting smoking will increase your appetite...

On top of that, VH will keep your energy levels up....

BTW- Greg (grayhorse) has the best prices on Hyperdrive !
I've smoked for about 7 years also, and I just up and decided to quit. Smoked around a pack to a pack and half a day, for a long time. Figured it'll save some money, and possibly extend my life.

So...5 ft 9.5 inches, 192 lbs. Does anyone have any type of idea what an ideal weight for my height would be?

#7 ·
NTexas_V-Star said:
I've smoked for about 7 years also, and I just up and decided to quit. Smoked around a pack to a pack and half a day, for a long time. Figured it'll save some money, and possibly extend my life.

So...5 ft 9.5 inches, 192 lbs. Does anyone have any type of idea what an ideal weight for my height would be?

Ideal differs for many people.
I'd say an ideal weight for 5'10 is 200lbs. Im 5'11" 205lbs at the moment and would like to be at least 215.

Of coarse 200lbs of chewed bubble gum at 5'10 is going to look like shit.

#8 ·
GRAYHORSE said:
Ideal differs for many people.
I'd say an ideal weight for 5'10 is 200lbs. Im 5'11" 205lbs at the moment and would like to be at least 215.

Of coarse 200lbs of chewed bubble gum at 5'10 is going to look like shit.

LoL. I'm not just a chunky fucker, but i could definitely use some toning. I was thinking try to take it down to around 175 or so, and then maybe put on a little more muscle weight.

#9 ·
I use Nautilus in Denison, the samy guy owns Sherman and Denison. Its a good gym join and just make sure and keep going. The first 60 days is the hardest then it gets like a drug. You have to have it everyday or you feel bad. If you wanna come to Denison im sure we can get together and throw around a few thousand lbs. :D

#10 ·
NTexas_V-Star said:
This is my first time i've ever posted in this forum....

Looking for opinions...there are only two gyms around where I live, Nautilus, and AnyTime fitness.

Anyone use either one? Opinions?

I'll say this, Nautilus is attractive to me because it is right down the road from where I live. I just went by there and spoke with one of their desk guys.
I have an anytime fitness membership. Small place but they have plenty of equipment.

#11 ·
lee earley said:
I use Nautilus in Denison, the samy guy owns Sherman and Denison. Its a good gym join and just make sure and keep going. The first 60 days is the hardest then it gets like a drug. You have to have it everyday or you feel bad. If you wanna come to Denison im sure we can get together and throw around a few thousand lbs. :D

Is everyday good? Or would that be too much? I was thinking 5 days a week, or alternating.

#14 ·
Congratulations on quitting. I've been smoke free for 15 months now and have been working out since last November. I used Lifetime Fitness in Carrollton when I lived there and treated myself to six weeks with a Personal Trainer to learn some different exercises and get into a training cycle. Having smoked for over 30 years though, my pulmonary functions were only 15% of the average man my age. Any cardio you do will help clear the smoke, tar and nicotine from your system and for a time will also give you a small rush from the residue in your lungs. If you're a social guy, I'd recommend the local Nautilus as their traffic will probably be a bit more than Anytime. If you like solo work, Anytime is probably your best bet. Regardless, good luck with sustaining being smoke-free, losing what you want to lose, gaining what you want to gain and having fun doing it all.

#15 ·
PonyFever said:
Congratulations on quitting. I've been smoke free for 15 months now and have been working out since last November. I used Lifetime Fitness in Carrollton when I lived there and treated myself to six weeks with a Personal Trainer to learn some different exercises and get into a training cycle. Having smoked for over 30 years though, my pulmonary functions were only 15% of the average man my age. Any cardio you do will help clear the smoke, tar and nicotine from your system and for a time will also give you a small rush from the residue in your lungs. If you're a social guy, I'd recommend the local Nautilus as their traffic will probably be a bit more than Anytime. If you like solo work, Anytime is probably your best bet. Regardless, good luck with sustaining being smoke-free, losing what you want to lose, gaining what you want to gain and having fun doing it all.

Appreciate that man...as of 9:28 pm tonight, that was 24 hours without a single cigarette....it was little tough, but not as bad as I had expected. The hardest parts were like driving to work, and right after I finished lunch. Hard habits to break.

Nautilus gave me a free week, to see if I like it, and I went by after work today, ran on the treadmills, did a little light weights......and basically, felt sort of like dying, LOL. But, I did enjoy it. Immensely, actually. I'm pretty damn certain that at the first of the month I'm going to go up there and sign up for at least 6 months.

In your opinion, was the trainer worth it. I had considered that, because, like everyone's stated in this thread, going and doing the work will be the hardest part; that being said, if I can get into a schedule/routine, it will be much better for me because then it'll be a daily thing. It won't be something I dread at that point, it'll just be another part of the day. And I had the idea that getting a trainer for a short time was possibly a good way to set myself up like that.

What do yall think?

#16 ·
We just joined Fitness 2000 off of Beach and I love it. It's not as busy and the things they offer are great. Child care, tanning and classes. All for 20 a month (add 10 for tanning). A friend and I go there Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays. I feel great after going. Were only working out for and hour but at least were starting somewhere! :D

#18 ·
lee earley said:
I would use a trainer, it will help you get a routine and it will make sure you go. because if you know the trainer is waiting for you then you wont be so apt to not go.

Trainers are expensive aren't they? I have my best friend, we make each other go. I wish I had enough drive to do it early in the morning before work.

#19 ·
Roughly what kind of money would I be looking at for a trainer?

#21 ·
I definitely recommend either a trainer or partnering up with someone who knows what they're doing. I can't give my trainer enough props for showing me the proper lifting techniques, how to adjust some of the machines and general commitment to working along slowing. I've seen several people this past year just come in and look either lost or work some of the circuit machines crazy-stupid enough to hurt themselves. I think I paid ~$1000 for three months but it was four workouts a week from a former NFL player, assistant manager type. To me, it laid the framework to continue my workouts now and venture into some other areas. Good luck and have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.