DFW Mustang Forums banner

Car system in the house questions

1K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Canoman 
#1 ·
I don't know if anyone has tried this.

What I'm goin for is that huge bass sound.....in the house :p

I've already got my inverter, amp and everything plugged in. But something just isn't right. It plays fine. But isn't near as loud as it should be.

I've got 2 JL Audio 10" W6's ran with a big pioneer amp. I've got a 30amp inverter. I've got my Panasonic Surround sound system supplying the audio.

Has anyone ever tried this and been successful. I've done one other job like this and it sounded great. Now I'm coming up short with mine.

Anyone?

#2 ·
Put the woofers where they are firing at the wall, 2-3 or maybe 4 inches away. Just woofers firing into an open room won't play very loud, not boomy atleast. In a car it loads the entire passenger compartment, something you can't do in a house. Might try a closet as well, should help a little.

Personally I'd recommend one of the bigger JBL subs from Best Buy, they are fairly cheap and are designed for a house. Throw it in a corner and go to town. I've only got an 8" powered sub and it works fine with my system, plenty of power to rattle the walls. Then again I've got some really nice tower speakers as well.

If you want room shaking power like they have at the Lizard Lounge or Club Uropa get out some money! Several 12-15 inch woofers with a couple of thousand watts will do it.

#3 · (Edited)
Power

Need To Look To See How Many Amps Your Ampilfer Draws. Car Stereo Shops Do That All The Time On Display Walls. I Have Had Manyof Problems With Not Enough Inverter To Handle The Equipment And Try The Corner Loading Also Might Even Try To Down Fire Them Face The Subs To The Ground Witha Couple Inches Of Space, Cause you Got A Lot More Room Your Trying To Fill Than A Car Got

#4 ·
I have put the speakers face down with about 2 inchs of space. This does help quite a bit. Would it be better to run a ported setup instead of a sealed enclosure?

I've got something like 700 watts running to the system in which I'm unable to bridge down due to the amp cutting off under load.

Any other suggestions?

#5 ·
88Whitepony said:
I have put the speakers face down with about 2 inchs of space. This does help quite a bit. Would it be better to run a ported setup instead of a sealed enclosure?

Any other suggestions?

Ported is the only way to go I think.
It takes less power and sounds better.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/us.php
my friend followed their design for their optimal box design and it freakin rocks.

#6 ·
30 amps is pretty weak for a 700 watt amp. Go all out on the ghettoness and get a couple of car batteries and a charger, probably would stick with something dry cell.

If you had a bandpass box you could probably get away with running the subs full range off of a tuner, just don't play anything that will hit notes lower than the box is tuned for.

#7 ·
dankstang said:
Ported is the only way to go I think.
It takes less power and sounds better.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/us.php
my friend followed their design for their optimal box design and it freakin rocks.

He did this for an in house stereo setup?

#8 ·
BP said:
30 amps is pretty weak for a 700 watt amp. Go all out on the ghettoness and get a couple of car batteries and a charger, probably would stick with something dry cell.

If you had a bandpass box you could probably get away with running the subs full range off of a tuner, just don't play anything that will hit notes lower than the box is tuned for.
I can't go for the batteries in the house... But I'm pretty sure someone out there makes a bigger inverter.
Maybe something 50 amp or so. That should suffice right?

SO bandpass is the way to go ehh?

#9 ·
Bandpass boxes sound like crap but if you want to run a full range signal to the box (from a regular home tuner for example) then it's the only way to go. They are extremely efficient in their narrow frequency range but don't do anything out of this range. For a boomy sound they are perfect, for anything anywhere near an accurate reproduction of the music they are crap though.

#10 ·
BP said:
Bandpass boxes sound like crap but if you want to run a full range signal to the box (from a regular home tuner for example) then it's the only way to go. They are extremely efficient in their narrow frequency range but don't do anything out of this range. For a boomy sound they are perfect, for anything anywhere near an accurate reproduction of the music they are crap though.

Exactly, it all depends on what do you want.
Throw parties and have boomin bass or a "bose" like perfection?

He did this for an in house stereo setup?
No, but we were messing around like you did and put it inside. His amp can go 8ohms too. I forget, but his was a dual voice coil 12". All I remember is it pounded, too much for theater, but great for parties.
This was the box he built:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/boxbuilder.php?tab=vented

#11 ·
Well I'm kinda looking to get the best of both worlds.

I can run lowpass or Highpass...
The audio is coming from the Line out on the back of the reciever. The setup doesn't have a "sub out" or anything like that.

How did you guys run all the wiring?

My subs are dual voice coil as well.

#12 ·
Check this web page out

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp

Just plug your figures in the calculator & see how big of an inverter (amps) you need to run your amplifiers.
I ran it for 700 watts @ 13.5 volts = 51.8 amps
(12 volts was 58 amps)

It looks like only 30 amps is pretty low for your wattage requirements.
Your amplifier can't put out max wattage...it's starved for power!

I have a car stereo setup in my garage & use a Pyramid PS52LX (50 amps) to run my 760 watt system. BUT i run it thru a deep cycle 12 volt battery. It works GREAT !

You should use a battery between the inverter and the amplifiers.
It will take the stress off the inverter and put it on the battery instead.
It will also keep your presets stored on your headunit !

Good luck

#14 ·
Awesome info....

lwk2...I'm not running a normal head unit from a car though..
I'm running a Panasonic Home theater system for my line out...
If i was running a regular stereo then I'd have no problem!

#15 ·
This is a little OT...

dankstang said:
Exactly, it all depends on what do you want.
Throw parties and have boomin bass or a "bose" like perfection?
Bose is hardly perfection. It's the product of great marketing.

This gives me the huge bass in the house. :D

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb12_plus_2.htm

Talk about bang for your buck in home subwoofers. It's awesome. Huge, but sounds great. SVS is highly regarded by lots of home theater guys.

Edit: Back on topic... I doubt you'll be able to achieve the SAME bass output that you hear in your car with a set of car subs in a house. A lot of the problem is the volume of the room you're in. Car subs are typically designed for much tighter spaces than home subs. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that car subs and home subs are designed differently for a reason.

#16 ·
Damn that's a pretty penny

Canoman said:
This is a little OT...

Bose is hardly perfection. It's the product of great marketing.

This gives me the huge bass in the house. :D

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb12_plus_2.htm

Talk about bang for your buck in home subwoofers. It's awesome. Huge, but sounds great. SVS is highly regarded by lots of home theater guys.

Edit: Back on topic... I doubt you'll be able to achieve the SAME bass output that you hear in your car with a set of car subs in a house. A lot of the problem is the volume of the room you're in. Car subs are typically designed for much tighter spaces than home subs. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that car subs and home subs are designed differently for a reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.