DFW Mustang Forums banner

windows 2000 server HCL

352 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Jedi 
#1 ·
ok.. I have some NT4 high profile boxes that we want to upgrade to 2k server. The client would like some type of verification the boxes will accept an upgrade 100%. I need a program, that I can run from the nt4 box. ( NOT INSTALL, they are production servers and we can not install anything) that will check the hardware/software and let me know if its upgradeable.

the servers are data general avion(sp) p3 600's 512mb. data general is out of business. the servers meet memory HDD size cpu requirements. but i want to make sure theres not some random controller for something thats not compliant.
any help is appreciated.
thanks,
Gregg

#3 ·
I guess we could just compare each individual peice of hardware to the hcl but that would take some time. Not too mention difficult trying to figure out controllers types , Motherboard, I/O etc. we cant take the boxes offline to tear them open and see what exactly is inside.
The boxes are NT4.0. MS will not be offering support for NT4.0. this is a large company that requires everything to be under support.

#4 ·
reakhavok said:
I guess we could just compare each individual peice of hardware to the hcl but that would take some time. Not too mention difficult trying to figure out controllers types , Motherboard, I/O etc. we cant take the boxes offline to tear them open and see what exactly is inside.
The boxes are NT4.0. MS will not be offering support for NT4.0. this is a large company that requires everything to be under support.
My honest opinion would be too look at upgrading the hardware then. Move to a whole new server(s). Test your apps out before the transition is made.

But honestly.. why worry about having supported software when the hardware vendor is out of business?

Upgrade everything :)

#5 ·
After checking the 2k HCL I would make a backup. I wouldn't recommend upgrading NT4 to 2k. Wipe then install 2k. Restore your data from backup. If you run into some weird shit that you didnt find on the HCL and run into problems just wipe and install NT4 then restore you data.

Oh yeah you said they were a big corporation and needed the up2date suport. Then fuck 2k and port to Linux! ;)

#6 ·
NT4 -> 2k "can" be problematic. Not always, but when dealing with production servers you don't want to play the chance.

Flatline the boxes and then do a clean install.

As for the HCL, you've got to match it up like the rest of us. It's a lot of work, but that's why we get paid the big bucks.

PS: Ask Yellowstang about DG's :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.