DFW Mustang Forums banner

Which one should I pick?

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  g1987adams 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I own an apartment block, and recently, I received a call from the tenant that the air conditioner stopped cooling. The system is a straight cool 80,000 BTU Trane. I called a technician for inspecting the system. I had installed the condensers for all the apartments on the roof of the building. After examining, he found the refrigerant to be low and found a leak in the condenser coil. He repaired the leak. but the coil ruptured while he was fixing it, luckily it was still under warranty. But now the unit has to be recharged with R-22 for $80 a pound, and the refrigerant would cost around $600. He has suggested a commercial HVAC service company in Mississauga. The total repair of the system would cost us a considerable amount. Is it reasonable to repair it? The unit is almost 10 years old, therefore I am thinking of replacing the entire system. The total estimated cost for the HVAC system they have suggested is around $5000. Does it sound reasonable? They chose that unit because it's the only one, that would fit through the access door to the roof, and it would also reduce the long term maintenance cost. Can those of you, who are familiar with HVAC systems, give me some advice on this matter? Your suggestions will be valuable. Thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.