Dying Tree\Shrub....How do I save it? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Dying Tree\Shrub....How do I save it?

See attached pic, this is what it used to look like... It is in the back of the pic, behind the tree trunk and next to the window. I'm not exactly sure what it is, anybody know? It has very large green leaves that stay year round (for the most part), white blooms in the spring

The beginning of last year it appeared to have some sort of fungus (I thought) and leaves on the left side were falling off and turning reddish-orange. I applied some fungicide/disease granules around the base (forgot brand...Spectracide?) after a few months. It seemed to green up some, but then it started losing the leaves again and those that didn't fall off turned reddish/orange. The trunk Y's off in multiple spots just above the ground and there was a large portion of this dead and rotting (about half the total shrub/tree) when I closely inspect a few months later. I cut off all the rotting/dead branches last fall hoping they would come back. I sprayed some fungicide on it and around the base . It seemed to kind of help on existing branches, but the cut-off branches never came back. It has now gotten worse and the backside of what's left appears to be dying now.

There were a lot of ants around the base, my pest guy said the ants wouldn't cause that kind of damage to it, as they only feed on dead wood, but he's sprayed to kill them numerous times over the year. He said he used to work in landscaping before and said it looked like a disease in the ground?

I'll upload some pics later when I get home of what it currently looks like...it looks like death. Just looking for some pointers on how to save this thing...if possible. It will be a real bitch to have it removed if need be...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	treeshrub.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	98494  

Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Time Served

the large shrub to the right of window looks like a photenia, but the white blossoms who lead me to believe it a ligustrum, get some closer pics and ill tell ya.
oh and fire your pest guy

<---- lawn man livin the dfwstangs moto
big house
huge income
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks for the hints on the names as it looks like a Photinia Serrulata from the pics I've found online

As far as the info. from the pest guy, so do you think it's a bug that's killing it? They've been excellent with getting rid of ants\spiders\bugs around the house and treating for termites. I know they can't offer great landscaping advice, but I need to determine the cause (bug, fungus, dirt disease, etc) and fix it. I'll get some better pics tonight so you can actually see the damage...

Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Last edited by Chritaka; 06-07-2010 at 12:43 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Resident Epicurean

Photinias are susceptible to red spider mites (a bug), and red leaf spot (fungus). Need to see some closer pictures, to help determine what it is.

This is a wax leaf ligistrum in bloom, just FYI.
http://classes.hortla.wsu.edu/hort23...rumJapForm.jpg

Spider mites are usually fairly easy to spot. Inspect the ground closely, under the plant. Spider mites look like little red dots. The following pic is obviously a bad infestation, but this will give you an idea.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...spidermite.jpg

Here's a pretty indepth write up about them, what causes them, and how to get rid of them.

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/mites.htm

If you have to go a chemical route, this works just fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:36 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

I had some red tip photinias but I believe my soil didn't drain properly to keep them alive. Mine got a fungus (as Bcoop mentioned below) from too much water. They tend to do better if you trim them back a little. I eventually just ripped 'em out.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks bcoop, that gave me some good info. It may very well be mites... I remember seeing what I thought were ants at first near the base, but they were much smaller and MUCH faster. They flurried around when I stirred up the dirt at the base, but they were dark brown or black in color I think. I'll try that paper test when I get home. I'm also going to snip off a few branches and take them up to Calloways to see what they have to say. I had tried some Bayer 3-in-1 Insect, Disease and Mite control stuff a while back, but looks like I needed to reapply a few times and maybe use a higher pressure sprayer. It's not the cheapest stuff around @ $17 a bottle.

Gearheads Dyno Video

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
I had some red tip photinias but I believe my soil didn't drain properly to keep them alive. Mine got a fungus (as Bcoop mentioned below) from too much water. They tend to do better if you trim them back a little. I eventually just ripped 'em out.
I thought it may have been a fungus, but the thing was fine for 4 yrs and I only water 2-4x a week for 20-30 min at each zone depending on the heat. There's also a decent grade away from it on the right side of the yard so I wouldn't think it would be a drainage issue. However, the problem started on the left side and has slowly moved to the right....so it could still be possible.

Gearheads Dyno Video

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

The Calloways guys said it was the Red Leaf Spot... They told me to use a fungucide (Infuse @ $29.99 a bottle) and then put some regular fertilizer around the base, not Weed N Feed. They think the Scott's Bonus S for Southern Lawns may have contributed to the issue if some of the granules got underneath the base or were absorbed by the roots.

One of my Holly's has gotten splotchy too, which is why they thought it was the Bonus S. It makes sense since they're broad-leaf plants, but I was pretty careful not to get any of it under them...but the Calloways guy said you have to be careful with the Weed N Feed since the roots can spread out pretty far underground and it can hurt the plant if they absorb any of it. He of course recommended to use their seperate weed killer and seperate fertilizer... They said to use the fungucide again in about 10 days, but that should take care of it.

So last night I sprayed it with the Infuse and watered in some reg. fertilizer around the base. After closer inspection, there were a lot of dead leaves from my other trees caught under it around the base, which were likely retaining a lot of water. I'm going to snip a bunch of the lower branches so the soil can get a bit more air (and so they don't collect as much debris), clean out all the debris/leaves around the base and aerate it more (I did some last night). Hopefully I can nurse the thing back to life, but I think it's got a long way to go... And yes, it is a Red Tip Photinia "tree"...

Gearheads Dyno Video

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2020, 04:40 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I can't exactly say what tree it is from the pic. However, I faced a similar problem with mine at my Folsom home. I had a tree near my window which fell sick a few years ago. I did my research and asked my colleagues at my Folsom office what to do. They suggested that I should call a Folsom arborist. Arborists are like tree doctors and can save trees from sicknesses and diseases. Mine survived andd is still going strong. So, I suggest you to contact your local arborist and get your tree treated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement