DFW Mustang Forums banner

Easiest way to install Fluorescent Light in Garage?

24K views 33 replies 23 participants last post by  mikeb 
#1 ·
I want to change up the lighting in the garage to Fluorescent Lights instead of the regular one there.

I checked out many at Lowe's and like a few, but some ran off of a 120V Cord and some didn't? I'm not very electrical savy so I'm tryin to get some info in regards to doing this?

I'd just replace the old light fixture, etc with the Fluorescent one and be able to just flip the switch not have to pull a string or plug it in.

Any tips are appreciated

#3 ·
Installing new fixture

Yeah just take your old fixture down .Should have a white(neutral) and typically a black(hot)and a ground wire(bare or green).At top of new fluorescent there is a place to knockout a round piece called the knockout.Just pop it out.They sale a bushing made of plastic that will push in the hole usually a 1/2 inch.Pop bushing in place.If wires are long enuff they should come out of ceiling box far enuff that when you put new fixture right over the box wires can come thru the bushing and into the new fixture to hook up the wires.If not just get some wires and extend them.The ground will go to new fixture (usually green or bare) the white to white and black to black.Your ceiling joist can be 18" or 24" on center try to hit the joists with screws for installing.

#7 ·
<electrician

very simple install follow the basics that BIGCUBES stated and you should be fine. if your replacing a keyless light (one bulb that operated by the switch) then go ahead and purchase a small package of toggle bolts about 3-4 inches long. there is a slot on each end of the light fixture behind the belly pan that they go in. hold the fixture up and mark the ceiling, make a hole just big enough for the toggle ends to go through when collapsed and then its pretty much self explanitory after that. once you turn the switch off the power "SHOULD" ideally be off unless a dumbass switched the neutral side.....which happens so double check.

#9 ·
i just did this on saturday very simple like stated 3 wires black ground *********** and neutral, only thing i did was go up in the attic and placed some 2x4 in between the 24 on center studs in a square to reinforce dont know if thats necessary in ur case but i did just incase

#14 ·
How much are cheapoo floranceent light fixtures running these days? Would love to put up about 4-6 2x4' light fixtures up in my garage..

#20 ·
if you're running off of a dedicated 120 volt 20 amp circuit, you can use 16 amps continuous. multiply the amps by the voltage to get the amount of total watts that you can use...(120 X 16 = 1920) so, on a dedicated 20 amp circuit (120 volt), you can use a total of 1920 watts. now, divide 1920 watts by the wattage of the lamp. if you're using a 4 foot t8 lamp, that would be 32 watts per lamp. (1920 / 32 = 60)...so, you can have 60 lamps on a single circuit. if you're using a 4-lamp fixture, that's a total of 15 fixtures...3-lamp fixture = 20...2-lamp fixture = 30...

now, if you're talking about putting them on an existing circuit, then that completely depends on what else is on that circuit. with that said, i would imagine that you'll be fine as long as you're not looking for 200+ foot candles or something. ;)

#27 ·
I have 4 - 8' 2 bulb fixtures in my two car garage and let me tell you I have no issue needing more light for anything. Hell if my garage lights are on at night and I open my garage door it looks like the scene in the movies when the UFO opens its door to for the first time.

#28 ·
We went with six 4" double bulb flourescent fixtures in our 3 car garage. I had them all put in the one car since that is where the projects happen. I may go in and put a few more in the other half of the garage eventually.

I will admit that I cheated, I had Milk's guys do the work for me.

#29 ·
I ended up putting up one 4ft double bulb wear my old light fixture was, then I also got one that plugs in and put that one over my work area. So now with both it lights up the garage nicely

#30 ·
i've got like 6 pair of 4' bulbs in my garage. luckily when my old man owned the place he put an outlet every 6 feet on the wall, and a row of them right down the middle of the ceiling.

i also bought the "daylight" bulbs instead of typical fluorescent.. they look better IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.