DFW Mustang Forums banner

Garage door brands...???

7K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  wsharp227 
#1 ·
any to recommend or avoid? what's the going rate for a regular old 16x7 door by itself (no installation)?

i got a quote a while back for $475 installed, but i might try it myself if i can get a door cheap enough.

#4 ·
the spindoctor said:
any to recommend or avoid? what's the going rate for a regular old 16x7 door by itself (no installation)?

i got a quote a while back for $475 installed, but i might try it myself if i can get a door cheap enough.
i went to sears and bought a craftsman. With installation i paid around $320

#6 ·
I replaced a wooden 16' garage door back in the middle 90's by myself. I was wishing for some installers during that time but I got it done in a few hours. Seems like I paid close to $400 for the door back then from Lowes. I do not remember the brand name.

The door at my new house is insulated. Best garage door that I've ever had. I highly recommend an insulated door.

#7 ·
slow84lx said:
I replaced a wooden 16' garage door back in the middle 90's by myself. I was wishing for some installers during that time but I got it done in a few hours. Seems like I paid close to $400 for the door back then from Lowes. I do not remember the brand name.

The door at my new house is insulated. Best garage door that I've ever had. I highly recommend an insulated door.
THe brands you can buy at the home improvment stores, aren't the best. if you want I can sell you a windsor brand door, any gauge and color they make.

I install them to, but I am not the cheapest, because I don't use cheap doors. :p

#10 ·
big_tiger said:
THe brands you can buy at the home improvment stores, aren't the best.

I knew that at the time but was in dire need of replacing the rotten, falling apart door so that I could paint the house and put it on the market. I was trying to spend the least amount possible and had a very short time frame to do it in. It turned out much nicer than before. I would never replace a garage door again with another wooden door though.

For the future I will remember the Windsor name for garage doors.

#12 ·
big_tiger said:
Windsor is a good brand, stay away from Cloplay, and overhead door.

I'd personally get a Clopay or a Overhead Door. You can get parts really really easy for those doors and they are the #1 & #2 residential door companies in the United States.

I'm not a dealer, and I'm not trying to push them.

From time to time I do residential door repair.....

#13 ·
Dacotua said:
I'd personally get a Clopay or a Overhead Door. You can get parts really really easy for those doors and they are the #1 & #2 residential door companies in the United States.

I'm not a dealer, and I'm not trying to push them.

From time to time I do residential door repair.....
Clopay is better than Overhead door. Overhead door uses cheap small brackets (the part that connects each panel together). The stiles (vertical pieces that strengthen the panels ) arent made to compensate for the smaller brackets. The door company that I bought my doors from changed from Windsor to some other brand, and I have no idea what the quality is (haven't looked or installed on yet.) I am trying to get an account now with a place that sells Windsor.

I am not saying Windsor is the top shit out there. They just don't change panel designs every two years, and you have to buy a whole new door just to replace a panel. Amarr is a good brand, but they change there panel design alot.

#14 ·
slow84lx said:
I knew that at the time but was in dire need of replacing the rotten, falling apart door so that I could paint the house and put it on the market. I was trying to spend the least amount possible and had a very short time frame to do it in. It turned out much nicer than before. I would never replace a garage door again with another wooden door though.

For the future I will remember the Windsor name for garage doors.
I understand, the biggest difference is it is ALOT harder to install the door, and the technology they use is way behind.

Amarr has the most advanced "no finger pinch" technology. :p Then Windsor, and Clopay didnt even try and prevent it from happening. lol

#15 ·
big_tiger said:
Clopay is better than Overhead door. Overhead door uses cheap small brackets (the part that connects each panel together). The stiles (vertical pieces that strengthen the panels ) arent made to compensate for the smaller brackets. The door company that I bought my doors from changed from Windsor to some other brand, and I have no idea what the quality is (haven't looked or installed on yet.) I am trying to get an account now with a place that sells Windsor.

I am not saying Windsor is the top shit out there. They just don't change panel designs every two years, and you have to buy a whole new door just to replace a panel. Amarr is a good brand, but they change there panel design alot.
Actually if you look at quality of all the residential doors, Overhead Door has the BEST insulated door by far. The Overhead Door 191-195 Series doors are the best insulated residential doors out there.

As far as uninsulated doors, ALL the door companies get the cheapest shit out there.

Clopay actually uses cheap shit out there too on their insulated doors. The Overhead Door uses large butterfly hinges on their doors unless you get their banner collection doors which use snap in hinges. And all door manufacturers put struts on their doors for added strenght.

If I were to recommend a garage door to someone, I would HIGHLY recommend a 194 series overhead door, then a clopay.

#16 ·
big_tiger said:
I understand, the biggest difference is it is ALOT harder to install the door, and the technology they use is way behind.

Amarr has the most advanced "no finger pinch" technology. :p Then Windsor, and Clopay didnt even try and prevent it from happening. lol
Actually overhead door also has a pinchless door series also, so do many other door companies. (If you haven't figured it out yet, I used to work for a garage door manufacturer and I TESTED many different companies and brands. I've done a TON of windload testing and I can tell you the BEST insulated door out there is a 194 series Overhead Door.

#17 ·
Dacotua said:
Actually overhead door also has a pinchless door series also, so do many other door companies. (If you haven't figured it out yet, I used to work for a garage door manufacturer and I TESTED many different companies and brands. I've done a TON of windload testing and I can tell you the BEST insulated door out there is a 194 series Overhead Door.
I am sure they do, I was only referring to what I have seen, and I have only seen the cheap Overhead doors that fall apart on a five year old house. ;) It is happening at the house I am living at now, and at my step dads.

Most of the people I installed doors for were cheap and wanted the cheapest door we could get. I have only worked (not installing) on two insulated garage door. When you advertise on Craigslist you get a very low baller customer base. :p

#18 ·
big_tiger said:
I am sure they do, I was only referring to what I have seen, and I have only seen the cheap Overhead doors that fall apart on a five year old house. ;) It is happening at the house I am living at now, and at my step dads.

Most of the people I installed doors for were cheap and wanted the cheapest door we could get. I have only worked (not installing) on two insulated garage door. When you advertise on Craigslist you get a very low baller customer base. :p
Thats because builders only want to put the cheapest piece of junks they want on a new house. Builders generally only want to spend up to 150 dollars on a door, and you get what you pay for. Generally those builder doors are only designed to last up to 5 years (Beyond the builders warranty, and its not the door companies fault, its the builders request).

This doesn't matter on who supplies the doors, all builder doors are junk.

Again, I'd recommend a 191-195 series Overhead Door Thermacore door. (really good insulated door and they are really quiet). If you get a insulated door, also install the door seals on the garage frame. You shouldn't be able to see any light from the outside once you close the door.

Depending on where people live, I've repaired or installed doors & door operators, but I do it as a hobby, not a living! You can ask a lot of people on the board, I've repaired many of the peoples garage doors/operators on this site!

#19 ·
Dacotua said:
Thats because builders only want to put the cheapest piece of junks they want on a new house. Builders generally only want to spend up to 150 dollars on a door, and you get what you pay for. Generally those builder doors are only designed to last up to 5 years (Beyond the builders warranty, and its not the door companies fault, its the builders request).

This doesn't matter on who supplies the doors, all builder doors are junk.

Again, I'd recommend a 191-195 series Overhead Door Thermacore door. (really good insulated door and they are really quiet). If you get a insulated door, also install the door seals on the garage frame. You shouldn't be able to see any light from the outside once you close the door.

Depending on where people live, I've repaired or installed doors & door operators, but I do it as a hobby, not a living! You can ask a lot of people on the board, I've repaired many of the peoples garage doors/operators on this site!
Have you ever heard of Mid America Door Company? How good is the quality, and is there anything dumb or something? My supplier that I use switched to that brand door, and they said they were ok... BUT then again I bet if they carried Clopay they would say the quality is just as good as Windsor. :D

#20 ·
big_tiger said:
Have you ever heard of Mid America Door Company? How good is the quality, and is there anything dumb or something? My supplier that I use switched to that brand door, and they said they were ok... BUT then again I bet if they carried Clopay they would say the quality is just as good as Windsor. :D
Mid America Door Company, They are a small player in the door world.

Whenever I put up doors for people, I use Overhead Door or Clopay. If someone asks me why, I simply tell them the truth. You can get parts for both doors at lowes and home depot. You can buy the torsion springs at a door company, or the overhead door company store in grand prairie (Or service spring). Plus they are the largest door companies in the door business.

In all honesty, your supplier going to Mid America is simply for the reason, they can get the doors cheaper. Again, you get what you pay for. There are some companies that even sell vinyl doors and saying they are as good as steel....

#21 ·
Dacotua said:
Mid America Door Company, They are a small player in the door world.

Whenever I put up doors for people, I use Overhead Door or Clopay. If someone asks me why, I simply tell them the truth. You can get parts for both doors at lowes and home depot. You can buy the torsion springs at a door company, or the overhead door company store in grand prairie (Or service spring). Plus they are the largest door companies in the door business.

In all honesty, your supplier going to Mid America is simply for the reason, they can get the doors cheaper. Again, you get what you pay for. There are some companies that even sell vinyl doors and saying they are as good as steel....
Great, that is not what I wanted to hear... I did find a Windsor dealer, but they are brand new to the door market. They have to ask the owner how much anything cost for wholesale prices. :eek:

#22 ·
Just whatever you do, do NOT stock Builder Doors. You will piss off a lot of people in the future if you do. I don't care who makes the doors, builder doors are the cheapest doors you can get and will fall apart. They all use the thinest gauge metals, cheapest hinges, and thin gauge tracks.

#23 ·
the spindoctor said:

Depending on the type of doors you're wanting, my boss (of job #2) might be able to hook you up with metal ones. PM me if you want me to check into availability and pricing.

#24 ·
Been in the garage door buisness for almost 20 years and I have seen, installed, and taken down all of them. Some things to look for is warranty, see if they are glued or tack welded together, and lastly, what is the door going on; house, shop, boat stall? All things to consider. Me personally, I like the best pruducts, especially if they are gong to hang above my cars. So, with that said, I use Raynor Garage Doors. The best I have seen and used. NOT the cheapest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.