DFW Mustang Forums banner

Best fertilizer/weed killer for Bermuda?

8K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  still_c 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an acre of weeds to kill. Am new to the Bermuda scene and used Scotts Bonus-S for St Augustine at my old place.

Whats the best fertilizer or Weed n' Feed product out there for Bermuda? Hoping I get my sprinkler system figured out so I dont have to buy 300ft of water hose.

Also, I used a small hand spreader before to work around the pool and sidewalk areas. Now, I have a MUCH larger lot and that isnt going to cut it. Found a Lesco on CL pretty cheap. Whats the best way to go on spreaders? I cant see buying those plastic wheel units they sell at HD.

#2 ·
Well, with a yard that big it's gonna suck any way you try it. I never had as much luck with the weed killer/fertilizer mix. I use a liquid one you fill the bottle with, set the dial, attach a hose and spray. Spectricide and Ortho seem to work best for my lawn (bermuda also). I have no weeds, just some crab/dallis grass I need to get rid of next weekend with the MSMA.

#3 ·
miketyler said:
I have an acre of weeds to kill. Am new to the Bermuda scene and used Scotts Bonus-S for St Augustine at my old place.

Whats the best fertilizer or Weed n' Feed product out there for Bermuda? Hoping I get my sprinkler sytsem figured out so I dont have to buy 300ft of water hose.

Also, I used a small hand spreader before to work around the pool and sidewalk areas. Now, I have a MUCH larger lot and that isnt going to cut it. Found a Lesco on CL pretty cheap. Whats the best way to go on spreaders? I cant see buying those plastic wheel units they seel at HD.
Scotts turf builder w/ plus 2% weed control

#8 ·
miketyler said:
Cool, thanks. Is that Lesco brand stuff any good? Am chasing down a fixer-upper Lesco spreader and was curious
The Lesco you buy at HD is not the same as what you can buy from John Deere Landscapes. Not as clean, from what I have been told, but its also more expensive. Its the professional level stuff and supposedly works like a champ.

#9 ·
Been using Scott's for Bermuda. Their website lets you plug in your zip code and grass type to get a recommendation.

Their stuff is pretty sticky and I continually have to crunch it up to get it to spread.

I use Green Light MSMA and their other products for spot spraying weeds.
They have weed killers for specific stuff like clover, nutsedge, etc. MSMA kills the Johnson grass and dallisgrass.

#12 ·
goober0709 said:
all i know is that weed b gone shit in a sprayer bottle put brown circles all over my f'in yard last month.
I tried that crap last year too. I got it with the crabgrass killer. Damn stuff killed my grass where I sprayed the weeds, but the crabgrass was growing strong. Nothing like a little false advertising. I'll stick with my MSMA for the crabgrass. For fertilizer, I use the Scotts stuff, but I mix in a little Ironite & set the spreader to drop it a little heavier than normal. So far thats working for me... best lawn on the block.

#14 · (Edited)
Did just that yesterday morning, used Scotts Turf Builder + 2%.

Unlike St Augustine fertilizers, the Bermuda or broadleaf weed n' feeds work by sticking to the surface fo the weeds. So best to wait a few days after cutting so they are in a growth mode and have more leaf exposed. Also, yard needs to be wet for the particles to stick. Not supposed to water for at least two days after application. I did it early in the morning when there was dew on the grass. Hope this works, I cant see any difference yet though. :mad:

#15 ·
miketyler said:
Did just that yesterday morning, used Scotts Turf Builder + 2%.

Unlike St Augustine fertilizers, the Bermuda or broadleaf weed n' feeds work by sticking to the surface fo the weeds. So best to wait a few days after cutting so they are in a growth mode and have more leaf exposed. Also, yard needs to be wet for the particles to stick. Not supposed to water for at least two days after application. I did it early in the morning when there was dew on the grass. Hope this works, I cant see any difference yet though. :mad:

You probably won't see any either, I'm talling you from experience, use the spray on kind, it works a lot better IMO!

#16 ·
Spraying isn't practical for me as I am trying to control weeds on a full acre lot. However if broadcast doesn't prove successful I might try spray on the front and immediate back areas.

Did you spot spray or ? I want to avoid the brownspots. I am seeing some of them starting to curl up, but no burn down yet.

#17 ·
I used the spot spray on crabgrass and dallis grass, but regular broadleaf weeds I use the spray type that does the whole lawn and does not hurt the bermuda at all.

For such a big area I would do the spray around the house area, then further out do the broadcast type, but use it at an extra %50 strength (if they say set the dial for 4 lbs per 1000 feet, set it at 6.

#19 ·
We used the Halts crabgrass preventer w/ one of the Weed n Feeds (don't remember which). The Halts will kill small crabgrass/dallis grass and prevent it from coming back, but you'll want MSMA or something similar for the above weeds if they're established.

#20 ·
miketyler said:
So we're talking hose end sprayer right? What brand/product name is the spray that kills weeds but not bermuda grass?
I have used Ortho and Spectracide with good results. And yes, the hose end type, I think the sprayer is made by Ortho also. Just read the back label, most are OK for Bermuda, St Aug. grass is easier to kill with weed killer since it is a broadleaf grass.

#22 ·
Appreciation!

A whole selection of weed killers for Bermuda grass https://weedkilleradvise.com/. The most popular killer is Southern Ag. Read the reviews on this blog and also the pros and cons. You can buy on Amazon using a direct link.
After getting from the suggestions of the mentioned page, I have got Southern Ag Amine 24-D Weed Killer for myself, and it is exceptionally good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.