Anyone else going to ACL this year? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Anyone else going to ACL this year?

This is my first year to attend. Going with several coworkers and customers. Our Austin sales rep lives a couple blocks from the park, so we are staying at his house and walking to/from.

I have to admit, I'm pretty damn disappointed with the headliner. They usually have great bands headlining. Then they go and bring in the fucking Eagles. I hate the fucking Eagles. Hoping for good times regardless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:52 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Not going nor have I seen the lineup. But fuck the eagles.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

The Eagles Muse Phish The Strokes M.I.A. The Flaming Lips LCD Soundsystem Spoon Vampire Weekend Norah Jones Band of Horses Monsters of Folk Deadmau5 Sonic Youth Gogol Bordello The National Robert Earl Keen The Black Keys Broken Bells Yeasayer Pat Green Slightly Stoopid The xx Silversun Pickups Beach House The Sword Matt and Kim Portugal. The Man The Temper Trap Rebelution Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros Girls Miike Snow Ryan Bingham & The Dead Horses Local Natives The Gaslight Anthem Lucero Devendra Banhart and the Grogs Blues Traveler Pete Yorn The Soft Pack Gayngs Amos Lee Robert Randolph & The Family Band Ozomatli Richard Thompson Martin Sexton Manchester Orchestra Black Lips The Mountain Goats Bear in Heaven Mayer Hawthorne & The County Midlake Foals Switchfoot Cage the Elephant JJ Grey & Mofro Kinky Angus & Julia Stone The Morning Benders Donavon Frankenreiter Ted Leo and the Pharmacists White Rabbits David Bazan Asleep at the Wheel Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue Nortec Collective Presents: Bostich + Fussible The Very Best Beats Antique The Henry Clay People Blind Pilot Grace Potter and the Nocturnals GIVERS Warpaint Dawes The Band of Heathens Charlie Mars Two Door Cinema Club Lissie First Aid Kit Sarah Harmer The Constellations T Bird and the Breaks Chief Frank Turner Shearwater Those Darlins Carolyn Wonderland TV Torso NINJASONIK Kings Go Forth The Relatives The Ettes Vonnegutt Qbeta The Dough Rollers MyNameIsJohnMichael Basia Bulat Sahara Smith Balmorhea Dan Black The Jane Shermans The Kicks Ponderosa Two Tons of Steel Caitlin Rose SPEAK Run With Bulls Maxim Ludwig & The Santa Fe Seven Gospel Stars Heavenly Voices Wesley Bray & The Disciples of Joy Jones Family Singers Ashley Cleveland & Kenny Greenberg Buddy & The Straight Way Travelers Ruby Jane The Verve Pipe Frances England The Jellydots Elizabeth Mitchell Okee Dokee Brothers Tom Freund The School of Rock All Stars Q Brothers

There are some good bands in there, some I'm excited to see, but I can't stand the goddamned Eagles.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:04 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Gogol bordello is a must see. They put on a highly energetic show.

The sword and sonic youth play every year. Both kick ass. Richard Thompson is one of the best guitarists you have never heard of and should be seen. That's about all on that roster that really appeals to me.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Gogol bordello is a must see. They put on a highly energetic show.

The sword and sonic youth play every year. Both kick ass. Richard Thompson is one of the best guitarists you have never heard of and should be seen. That's about all on that roster that really appeals to me.
Bullshit, we know Norah Jones is on the top of your must see list.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Factory Issue

The Flaming Lips will be fucking awesome. Don't miss it. They're playing the Darkside of the Moon in its entirety.

Give me a dollar.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:11 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

No but I'm thinking about http://thevoodooexperience.com/2010exp/

Ozzy and Weezer > Everything at ACL and it's in New Orleans.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
The Flaming Lips will be fucking awesome. Don't miss it. They're playing the Darkside of the Moon in its entirety.
Yeah, that's one of the ones I was looking forward to. Along with Robert Earl Keen, Sonic Youth, Slightly Stoopid, The Strokes, Phish, and a few others.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
No but I'm thinking about http://thevoodooexperience.com/2010exp/

Ozzy and Weezer > Everything at ACL and it's in New Orleans.
Last year the headliner was Pearl Jam. I was expecting something more along those lines. One of my coworkers hits Voodoo Festival every year, and it never disappoints. Back in the day (10ish years ago), they had the ultimate band lineup. Rage, Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, and many others. I would have killed to go back then.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Factory Issue

For the record, the Eagles can all get Ebola of the dick as far as I'm concerned. Did they write a few good songs? Debatable. I hate them because I can't name another single band that has so thoroughly fouled its own nest, and torpedoed its own musical genre. Fuck those guys.

Give me a dollar.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

T-24 hours. Nobody else is going? I can't wait. Won't be even remotely sober til Tuesday.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
T-24 hours. Nobody else is going? I can't wait. Won't be even remotely sober til Tuesday.
No but you have to at least see Gogol Bordello.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned

START WEARING PURPLE WEARING PURPLE!!! That's the thing about ACL, out of the dozens of bands they have, maybe like 3 are worth seeing. You end up having more fun going around and getting drunk and high(if that's your thing) in public. I won't ever pay to do it but if it's free, I'm in.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
START WEARING PURPLE WEARING PURPLE!!! That's the thing about ACL, out of the dozens of bands they have, maybe like 3 are worth seeing. You end up having more fun going around and getting drunk and high(if that's your thing) in public. I won't ever pay to do it but if it's free, I'm in.
That's pretty much the plan. Living so close, the party pours over to my coworkers house. We have a bunch of customers coming. We all want to see the same bands for the most part.

Geof, I'm going to make a schedule tomorrow, I'll check and see what time they come on and will try to check them out.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

I'm heading out tomorrow around noon after an exam. I'll be there mostly to see Phish but I'll be catching the Spoon, Black Keys and Robert Randolph shows before then. And then I'll be getting the hell away from that clusterfuck.

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Punk Ass Kid

The sword is badass

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

All stock 91 coupe. Stang' Bangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just want to smoke weed, be naked, and play video games.That is all.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 01:03 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBodyMike View Post
The sword is badass
No, they're hacks. Just like Jet.

EDIT: Ignore this post.

Give me a dollar.

Last edited by Yale; 10-08-2010 at 11:44 AM.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
I'm heading out tomorrow around noon after an exam. I'll be there mostly to see Phish but I'll be catching the Spoon, Black Keys and Robert Randolph shows before then. And then I'll be getting the hell away from that clusterfuck.
I'll shoot you my number in the am. We are trying to hit all those.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
No, they're hacks. Just like Jet.
Hacks? They are kings of the riff. You're off your goddamned rocker.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I'll shoot you my number in the am. We are trying to hit all those.
Cool. You have any insight on parking down there? I was planning on having a buddy drop me off in my car and take it back to his place, but I'm thinking I might like to have my car handy after the show.

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Cool. You have any insight on parking down there? I was planning on having a buddy drop me off in my car and take it back to his place, but I'm thinking I might like to have my car handy after the show.
I sure don't. Like i said my buddy lives across the street from the park, so we will be walking to and from.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Hacks? They are kings of the riff. You're off your goddamned rocker.
Oh fuck. You're right. For some reason I visualized Wolf Mother in my head when I read, "The Sword." I need sleep.

Give me a dollar.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 12:05 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Oh fuck. You're right. For some reason I visualized Wolf Mother in my head when I read, "The Sword." I need sleep.
I don't mind Wolfmother either. I don't love them, but I don't dislike them either. I think they could stand to get a vocalist and just have the current frontman just handle guitar duties though.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Spoon put on a really great show, I thoroughly enjoyed their set. Lots of stuff off of "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga".

Phish was mindblowing though. I've never heard that kind of production quality at a live show and I've never seen a more cohesive performance. I was expecting greatness, but what I saw far exceeded what I could have imagined. It also didn't hurt that the atmosphere that they created couldn't have been more enjoyable and joyous. Really, really enjoyed their set.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't have a 3-day pass because I really wanted to see the Flaming Lips set covering 'Dark Side of the Moon'. It may very well not be that great, but I think it'll be interesting as hell.

post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
I'm a little disappointed that I didn't have a 3-day pass because I really wanted to see the Flaming Lips set covering 'Dark Side of the Moon'. It may very well not be that great, but I think it'll be interesting as hell.
My brother said their set was awesome at Bonnaroo.

Give me a dollar.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Gogol Bordello was good. Very Flogging Mollyish. Muse put on a rocking show last night. LCD Soundsystem put on a good show, and there were some other good shows as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement