The Road - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
I got your Jihad!!

The Road

Watched it last night, it was ok, probably the most realistic post apocalyptic movie out there.

2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC
2005 Big Dog Chopper 117ci

Last edited by gnturboray; 06-18-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 09:26 AM
phuk therd gier

how did the world get like it was?

04 converted V8
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
I got your Jihad!!

Im assuming it was nuclear. The flashbacks by one of the characters showed a huge wall of fire.

2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnturboray View Post
Im assuming it was nuclear. The flashbacks by one of the characters showed a huge wall of fire.
In the book it makes no reference. But when the man is talking about his wife it says that him and her went out to look at the fire that was coming down from the sky when it happened. Or something like that.

To me that means that a comet or meteor hit the earth and caused the sun to be blocked out.

I still haven't seen the movie.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
In the book it makes no reference. But when the man is talking about his wife it says that him and her went out to look at the fire that was coming down from the sky when it happened. Or something like that.

To me that means that a comet or meteor hit the earth and caused the sun to be blocked out.

I still haven't seen the movie.
Not sure if I heard that in the movie or not but I've only watched it once. Would make sense though as a nuclear war of some kind would have brought a slightly different level of devastation (radiation, fallout, etc). I think it's a realistic representation of a post apocalyptic future. Pretty damn bleak and depressing.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Time Served

the movie was a beating..... papa be nice... papa stop..... papa help. couldnt get passed his whining kid....
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Worship me

Exactly. Never in the book did he mention anything about radiation which, you would think would be a concern if there was a big enough nuclear war to cause the sky to be blocked for many years.

The book did mention fires burning everywhere and lots of forests that were just burnt into nothing. Along with boats being on dry land, rivers disappearing, etc.

I agree that it is the most realistic post apocalyptic story, although the book focuses more on the relationship of the father and his dedication to his son. I am not sure if that comes through in the movie but I suspect that they did at least try to convey it and that is why a lot of people didn't like the movie and it did poorly at the box office.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnturboray View Post
Watched it last night, it was ok, probably the most realistic post apocolyptic movie out there.
I don't know how any post apocalyptic movie can be all that realistic since there has been no apocalypse to compare it with.

Buying dogs kills.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS View Post
I don't know how any post apocalyptic movie can be all that realistic since there has been no apocalypse to compare it with.
How about what I deem more realistic

The guy wasn't a survivalist of any sort, seemed like an average joe. He was skinny and sick from having lived on the road eating next to nothing. Hell the house with all the people on the basement I could see happening once food got scarce.

Compare it to The Book of Eli and tell me which one seems more realistic to you

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:00 PM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
How about what I deem more realistic
Well you are my favorite moderator so if you deem it the most realistics, it must be the most realistic.

Buying dogs kills.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerX689 View Post
the movie was a beating..... papa be nice... papa stop..... papa help. couldnt get passed his whining kid....
Exactly, kid was getting on my nerves and probably deserved a back hand to the face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Exactly. Never in the book did he mention anything about radiation which, you would think would be a concern if there was a big enough nuclear war to cause the sky to be blocked for many years.

The book did mention fires burning everywhere and lots of forests that were just burnt into nothing. Along with boats being on dry land, rivers disappearing, etc.

I agree that it is the most realistic post apocalyptic story, although the book focuses more on the relationship of the father and his dedication to his son. I am not sure if that comes through in the movie but I suspect that they did at least try to convey it and that is why a lot of people didn't like the movie and it did poorly at the box office.
That would follow along with what I got from the movie. There were scenes of fires burning down a forest and other scenes were everything looked to be burned to the ground. Not sure if it was due to a lack of rain (can't remember if I saw it rain in the movie or not) and/or weather conditions. There was a scene at the end where they got to the ocean and he swam out to a ship and it didn't seem far off from the beach but who knows.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Well you are my favorite moderator so if you deem it the most realistics, it must be the most realistic.

LOL! You still up in Colorado?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Worship me

Quote:
This is more like post-post-apocalyptic. Once Mad Max was out of gas and there was no more food, people would just start eating each other.

I haven't seen the Book of Eli but I bet I have seen it a hundred times. lol

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:55 PM
Lifer

Wink

it's in the next position on my netflix queue. the audiophile in me is looking forward to the earthquake scene and trees falling scene. i've seen some waterfalls on that scene and i can't wait to get the blu-ray in the mailbox.

i'm going to calibrate my sub +3 dB above reference on this movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM
#1 HEAT FAN!!

Yea I hated the little kid too. He was annoying as hell, you'd think after living like an animal for his whole life it would toughen the little brat up.

Other than that I liked the movie for what it was. You dont know where it goes or how it started so that sucked, but the middle was good.

All in all I give it a 6/10
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
I got your Jihad!!

Quote:
But you can imagine right?

2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Worship me

I watched it this weekend and didn't think it was all that good of a movie because they excluded a lot of things that conveyed the state of the world. Essentially in the movie they are just running from these people who have become cannibals. Scary redneck cannibals that want to eat people.

In the book there are several scenes that give the idea that these people aren't just cannibals. The final scene also has more closure.

The first scene is when the boy and the man are fleeing from a group of armed men. They run into a clearing where a human baby with its head cut off is roasting on a spit over a fire. The boy freaks the fuck out, the man tells him not to look. They run.

In another scene that ties into the first, the man and the boy are on the road and they are approached by a caravan of these cannibals. They hide in the weeds as it goes by and watch. It describes the people in the group not really as rednecks but more as flagellants or religious fanatics. They are mutilated and almost cult like from the description I remember. They are followed by a train of prisoners missing bodyparts, along with pregnant women (they are going to eat the babies) and sex slaves that are young boys. The effect is very eerie in the book but it gives sense that these people are not only a bunch of sick fucks but they have an almost cult-like arrangement where their way of life is torturing, raping and eating people. None of this is conveyed in the movie. I think it is important to include this because it gives an idea as to what the world has become and WHY the wife was so dead set on killing herself.

And last, the final scene in the movie just shows a man with his wife and kids meeting the boy. In the book there are no wife and kids. It is just the man and the book is very careful to describe him as someone who can take care of himself. He isn't like the boy's father, he has shotgun shells that have been reloaded, the ends filled with wax. Basically you get the sense that he is going to take care of the boy because he just doesn't fuck around, he kills people that fuck with him. The opposite of the boy's father who was only interested in running to safety.

Anyway, that is my take on it. A movie is rarely as good as the book. I was suprised that Mark Cuban was listed as an executive producer on it. Most likely that means he supported the film as an investor. I would have never supported the script without the inclusion of the scenes I detailed above. They are some of the most critical parts of the story, not only for conveying what the world has become but also ending the story.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement