The Pacific - Spoiler Alert! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

The Pacific - Spoiler Alert!

Thought the first episode was pretty good. Got into the action a lot quicker than Band of Brothers (BOB) but I'm not getting into the characters like I did with BOB. Guess it may take more time but definitely dug the action happening sooner (getting into combat on the first episode). Can't wait for next Sunday now.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Banned

I agree completely. Watch Basilone though, the man defined bad-ass.
Read about him here...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Basilone
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Lifer

I liked it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Worship me

When I saw spolier in the title I fully expected to see:

"I hate to ruin it for everyone but the Japanese lose the war."

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Texas Rangers #1

I liked it, like you said you really don't develop a connection with any of the characters, but I would give it a few more episodes before I pass judgement.

I would have liked to seen more of the boot camp/training portions kinda like they did on BOB. That's what developed alot of the characters IMO.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Lifer

I think the reason why the "boot camp" part was overlooked is, instead of covering 11 months of war with one company, they're squeezing in all the great things that happened in the pacific theatre in almost 4 years of war. While they will focus on many of the characters the stories are based on, they're also focusing on the entire events of the 1st Marine Division etc.

If you're limited to only 10 episodes at an hour each, you cant possibly get everything in on the entire pacific campaign. Especially when following the memoirs of teh soldiers being depicted.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think the reason why the "boot camp" part was overlooked is, instead of covering 11 months of war with one company, they're squeezing in all the great things that happened in the pacific theatre in almost 4 years of war. While they will focus on many of the characters the stories are based on, they're also focusing on the entire events of the 1st Marine Division etc.

If you're limited to only 10 episodes at an hour each, you cant possibly get everything in on the entire pacific campaign. Especially when following the memoirs of teh soldiers being depicted.
Don't get me wrong, I understand WHY they have to do it the way they are doing it, but I would prefer it to be a longer season with more lead in than they offered... hell make it 24 episodes long like most regular TV shows.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Lifer

I caught it on DirecTV on the 101 ..looks like I will be able to watch it this year ?

Real cars ..don't make power @ front wheels ..

They Lift them !

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 PM
Still Serving Time

So far I give it two thumbs up. I thought the naval battle off the coast was pretty awsome visually. The night time fire fight was pretty intense.

BOB is going to be hard to beat. Still don't know most of the characters names yet in the new series.

Going to be some brutal scenes in this series. Some nasty fighting took place on those rocks in the middle of nowhere.

2003 Cobra - [email protected]
1974 Datsun 260Z - 11.87 at 114(motor)
same on nitrous - 10.25 at 131
2000 Cameron Dragster - 7.68 at 172
2004 Suzuki GSX-R 750 - 12.03 @ 125.26 damn newbie rider- 2.55 60'
2006 Suzuki M109R - 8.05 @ 89.7
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:02 AM
The Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
Don't get me wrong, I understand WHY they have to do it the way they are doing it, but I would prefer it to be a longer season with more lead in than they offered... hell make it 24 episodes long like most regular TV shows.
most tv shows dont require extensive battle scenes , actual landing craft, and rediculously awesome CGI sequences (the naval battle in ep. 1) . The budget was already reportedly close to 200 million.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32VfromHell View Post
most tv shows dont require extensive battle scenes , actual landing craft, and rediculously awesome CGI sequences (the naval battle in ep. 1) . The budget was already reportedly close to 200 million.
Hadn't thought about that part of it (budget) still it would be nice if they had expaneded it some. Regardless, really starting to enjoy this show.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Never Enough

I really dig this. I like the way that they show some real footage, then talk to the real vets before the episode starts. It gets into action a whole lot faster then BOB did for sure. I hope it keeps up at this pace.

www.myspace.com/r1psycho
www.vimeo.com/r1psycho

2003 Cobra - just a non driving ass
411 hp 399 tq 2-22-08 stock
Not stock, but very slow

RIP *Nanny* Doris Brazil 1-07-31 - 7-16-08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement