Any Jimi fans? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Any Jimi fans?

Just pick up the new album, “Valleys of Neptune”. My expectations were really low because if something has been unreleased for this long its probably because it was shitty. But, I figured that even a less than stellar Jimi is better than half of the music on the radio. So far, I’m really impressed. The production was pretty good no low quality fuzz that you sometimes hear from music in that era that hasn’t been remastered. The weird thing is that some of the songs don’t have that Jimi feeling. The guitar playing is definitely distinct but the tempo and voice is much different. Not necessarily worst but different.

I know his family is just trying to get more money (all the other albums have been remastered with the release of this one), but I’d still recommend you pick it up. I bought it at target for $10 and it came with two bonus tracks so you can’t beat that.

Working on my project Stang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

There's not really anything on that album that hasn't been available before in some form or another. I'll give it a listen or two anyway at some point.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Lifer

I'm a pretty big fan (I was 10 when he died), and I play a few of his tunes, but even I am tired of what the family is trying to do. I would think their efforts would pay better if they stuck to memorabilia (T-shirts, books, guitar gear, etc.), instead of digging up or rehashing 40-year-old material that wasn't good enough to help fill an album back then.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
I'm a pretty big fan (I was 10 when he died), and I play a few of his tunes, but even I am tired of what the family is trying to do. I would think their efforts would pay better if they stuck to memorabilia (T-shirts, books, guitar gear, etc.), instead of digging up or rehashing 40-year-old material that wasn't good enough to help fill an album back then.
Be careful what you wish for:

http://www.guitarnoize.com/blog/comm...endrix-guitar/

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
Yeah, I posted a thread about it a while ago. Blasphemy! I'm not sure why gibson would okay the deal

Working on my project Stang
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point0pony View Post
Yeah, I posted a thread about it a while ago. Blasphemy! I'm not sure why gibson would okay the deal
Waaaay over the top. A CHEAP version, no less. Hendrix did play Gibson's occasionally, but nothing like that boat paddle they're calling a "strat". I'm shocked that Fender didn't beat that down immediately.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement