Max Payne Bluray Director's Cut (Review) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thumbs up Max Payne Bluray Director's Cut (Review)

This movie is just plain awesome.

The story is portrayed in a an old school film noir type of atmosphere, minus the black & white footage. i.e. Dark characters, dirty environment, most scenes are at night, embittered cop seeking bloody retribution for the death of his family, etc... However, it's intertwined with noir + modern matrix style effect shots. This movie has a little subtext in it too, mainly what's conveyed in the final scene.

The visual ambiance reflects the story in this movie. The shots come across brilliantly over Bluray. There are some wicked visual effect shots in this movie involving gun play.

And lastly is the best aspect of any BD title. And that is the soundtrack. This movie was presented in DTS HD Master Audio. And it was mixed hot! The HD sound effects in this movie are right up there with Flight of the Phoenix and Cloverfield on Bluray. If you have a good system with a quality sub, there are some scenes in this movie that rattle the dishes in the sink. This movie is what I would label a ground pounder. And there is some good dimension in the surround channels as well. It's a fantastic mix all around.

I watched this movie at -10 below reference. My HT system and sub are calibrated.

For those of you that have a solid Home Theater with an authoritative sub, here are some scenes to watch out for.

- Bathroom scene with the subway thugs at beginning of the movie.
- Scene where the Valkyrie pulls Owen Green out of the window and he falls on the car. *This scene will over modulate and distort a lesser sub. I don't give this warning lightly. There is infrasonic stuff in this sequence that is actually mixed a little too hot.

- The running shoot out after Max takes Jason Colvin out of his office and runs into the Swat Team.
- Max's gunshots as he walks in his house and finds the bad guys upstairs in his dreamsequence.
- And just about every other scene in the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 06:30 AM
11-05-09

Great movie, I need to pick up the bluray
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Great movie, I need to pick up the bluray
It'll be money well spent. This movie at the very least is top notch demo material for your HT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 PM
fuckcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
- Bathroom scene with the subway thugs at beginning of the movie.
Yeah, my ht isn't nothing spectacular but when he is shooting the stall doors. WOW
/clap

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

That movie was terrible IMO. Especailly if you played the game. The game was awesome and the movie had plenty of potential to be just as good. Too bad someone didnt get it right and make it good.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLee View Post
That movie was terrible IMO. Especailly if you played the game. The game was awesome and the movie had plenty of potential to be just as good. Too bad someone didnt get it right and make it good.
yup, growing up with the Max Payne series in my gaming career, i was EXTREMELY dissapointed!
BUT i think they cast it wrong, if you have EVER watched the number 23 with Jim Carey, his character fingerling in that movie is SPOT on Max Payne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement