U2 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

U2

Well, they sure are whoring themselves out all over American television to hype up their new album. Letterman, GMA, Today Show... no telling what else.

I don't understand this band and why so many people actually like them! By far one of the most, if not the absolute most, overrated band of all time! Bono, while he used to actually sing about shit that mattered back in the day, has become a self-parody. Any guitarist who calls himself "Edge" can't be that great, and well, he really isn't. Watching them play that Beautiful Day song or whatever the hell it's called showed just how talented the bass player was hitting one note over and over and over again. I didn't even pay attention to the drummer, which is the first thing I listen to in music, so I guess that says enough about him.

/rant

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:52 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
I completely disagree. U2 is an awesome band with an incredible history. To really apprecitate them you have to know their history and all the background stuff. U2 puts on an incredible concert, it's so much fun to have that many people singing together harmoniously. I understand that sometimes U2's political views bother some people, but if you understood where they come from and what they have been through, you would understand more and maybe even appreciate them. There's a reason why they have been so successful and have been around since 1979 in a time in music when the average band these days lasts 2 seasons. U2 has far surpassed what has become the norm of music these days with the one hit wonders.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I completely disagree. U2 is an awesome band with an incredible history. To really apprecitate them you have to know their history and all the background stuff. U2 puts on an incredible concert, it's so much fun to have that many people singing together harmoniously. I understand that sometimes U2's political views bother some people, but if you understood where they come from and what they have been through, you would understand more and maybe even appreciate them. There's a reason why they have been so successful and have been around since 1979 in a time in music when the average band these days lasts 2 seasons. U2 has far surpassed what has become the norm of music these days with the one hit wonders.
Because of idiots like you who don't know any better. The whole IRA thing aside (which is irrelevant now), which I gave Bono props to, they have absolutely nothing to offer now. As musicians, they are sub-par, as lyricists, they are pathetic these days.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:02 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Because of idiots like you who don't know any better. The whole IRA thing aside (which is irrelevant now), which I gave Bono props to, they have absolutely nothing to offer now. As musicians, they are sub-par, as lyricists, they are pathetic these days.
Well, so much for having a logical discussion. Second post in and you're already starting the name calling. How do you expect to be able to understand someone else's point of view when your mind is closed to it?

You're entitled to your opinion, if you don't like the music, that's fine. I'm not sure what you expecting to accomplish from a rant on one board in a small corner of the internet world, but do your thing.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Well, so much for having a logical discussion. Second post in and you're already starting the name calling. How do you expect to be able to understand someone else's point of view when your mind is closed to it?

You're entitled to your opinion, if you don't like the music, that's fine. I'm not sure what you expecting to accomplish from a rant on one board in a small corner of the internet world, but do your thing.
I gave my reasons, for them being a shitty band. All you did was respond by praising what they sing about and their longevity, which doesn't really mean anything (take a look at some of the other shitty bands that have been around for awhile). You didn't even attempt rebut my comments about their musical talents, or lack thereof. Any logical discussion went out the window at that point.

post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
I gave my reasons, for them being a shitty band. All you did was respond by praising what they sing about and their longevity, which doesn't really mean anything (take a look at some of the other shitty bands that have been around for awhile). You didn't even attempt rebut my comments about their musical talents, or lack thereof. Any logical discussion went out the window at that point.
As with anything, it's a matter of taste and opinion when it comes to something as subjective as music. I love the majority of U2's music, especially their early stuff. "The Edge" is called that for his different style of guitar playing. He's been very innovative in his style and experimentation of using different machines for sound and using uncommon riffs. Adam Clayton who is the bassist, does play very simple riffs and chords. U2's bass lines are very simple I'll give you that, but that doesnt mean it's bad. Larry Mullins Jr plays drums, and does so in constant pain. He suffers from a condition in his joints not too much different from gout, by then end of a concert, he says he's feel likes he's on fire. But he's an excellent drummer and his beats are amazing in my opinion. Bono, in my opinion, is an excellent lead vocal, with good range. Also plays guitar and his famous harmonica. As time has gone by, like every band that has lasted, their music has changed over the years. Their latest stuff is more pop, then rock. Some of it is really good. I really enjoyed "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" and still listen to it on a regular basis. That's how I like to judge a band, is it something you can listen to over and over and not get sick of it?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Big "foot"

I respect the band. That said, I don't listen to them. Just not my style.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
As with anything, it's a matter of taste and opinion when it comes to something as subjective as music. I love the majority of U2's music, especially their early stuff. "The Edge" is called that for his different style of guitar playing. He's been very innovative in his style and experimentation of using different machines for sound and using uncommon riffs. Adam Clayton who is the bassist, does play very simple riffs and chords. U2's bass lines are very simple I'll give you that, but that doesnt mean it's bad. Larry Mullins Jr plays drums, and does so in constant pain. He suffers from a condition in his joints not too much different from gout, by then end of a concert, he says he's feel likes he's on fire. But he's an excellent drummer and his beats are amazing in my opinion. Bono, in my opinion, is an excellent lead vocal, with good range. Also plays guitar and his famous harmonica. As time has gone by, like every band that has lasted, their music has changed over the years. Their latest stuff is more pop, then rock. Some of it is really good. I really enjoyed "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" and still listen to it on a regular basis. That's how I like to judge a band, is it something you can listen to over and over and not get sick of it?
I agree entirely on music being subjective! God knows most people probably haven't even listened to the shit in my signatures, and most probably wouldn't like it if they listened to it. My biggest gripe with U2 is how they attract tons of people even after the Joshua Tree album (which I'l even agree has it's moments) when they have not even come close to matching that album since!

I read an article today on Wikipedia that Rolling Stone named Edge as the 24th best guitarist of all time! Give me a fucking break!

There's not one band I can listen to over and over and not get tired of, including my favorite of all time, Rush.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

I don't think that anyone is going to disagree that U2 isn't the most talented band. Personally, I hate them. They fucking suck IMO. But, I can see why people like them. Unlike me, or Geoff (I'm guessing that's your name), not everybody has to break music down. They take it in as a whole and music means different things to different people. I remember reading an interview with Maynard from Tool saying that he likes to wait a few months after releasing an album to release the lyrics so that the people that listen to the music, have the opportunity to translate it their own way, and it becomes more personal to them that way.

So while U2 isn't full of extremely talented musicians, maybe they've discovered a way for their music to touch certain people. Doesn't do a thing for me. But neither does country, and people love the hell out of that pile of puke genre of music.

That being said, I'll leave all the U2 fans with this link, describing how badass U2 is.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Geof, i'm with you man. Severely over-rated. They have a handful of songs that I like and I admit, they have a couple of albums that sound damn good. With that said, I don't think they are anywhere near as good as people make them out to be. I'm surrounded by U2 lovers and I just don't get it. I don't think they sound all that great as a whole. I don't think they suck, but I don't consider them a "great band".
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:38 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Geof, i'm with you man. Severely over-rated. They have a handful of songs that I like and I admit, they have a couple of albums that sound damn good. With that said, I don't think they are anywhere near as good as people make them out to be. I'm surrounded by U2 lovers and I just don't get it. I don't think they sound all that great as a whole. I don't think they suck, but I don't consider them a "great band".
Pretty much what Stephen said, way over-rated. Ok at best.

post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Back To Normal

Geof, Hollywood and 90GT50 absolute top 3 favorite bands and why please.

Texan By Birth, Techsan By Choice.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 PM
KJ94GT

I concur, Geor! and have been wondering the exact same thing.
I've enjoyed 2, maybe 3 songs from U2 but canNOT figure out why they're so over-rated. Some of their old shit used to be tolerable but now I just can't take it. Way over-rated.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Back To Normal

KJ...top 3 favorite bands and why please?

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 GT View Post
Geof, Hollywood and 90GT50 absolute top 3 favorite bands and why please.
LOL, I'm not a teenage girl. I don't have any top favorite bands, I just listen to whatever comes up on my ipod.

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Guess he got his little girlie panties in a wad.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Custom Title

I've never liked U2.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Back To Normal

Quote:
Guess he got his little girlie panties in a wad.
Nope, just don't understand why someone that doest like them would make a thread about then just to bash them. If you don't like them cool. Don't post up anything or even look in threads about them. Lets not mention starting a thread and then arguing with poeple about why they like them. Thats why I asked what your favorites were because I'm positive that anyone could argure with you about your fav's as well.

90GT....I call BS!!! You are prego!

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:22 PM
dead

i'm listening to the new album right now. i think it's decent. this isn't my kinda music but its got its good points.

at least it sounds good coming out of my system : ]
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Lifer

I love the old stuff, Joshua Tree, etc. Not so much their new stuff though. Why is the cool thing to hate U2?

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
I love the old stuff, Joshua Tree, etc. Not so much their new stuff though. Why is the cool thing to hate U2?
I'm moving on from U2 and concentrating on that new SN of yours now.

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:26 PM
dead

ok i just got to track 6 (get on your boots). shitty.
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm moving on from U2 and concentrating on that new SN of yours now.
You know you like it. lol

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:00 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Hate is just something to cool to do on DFW period. I love U2, one of the best concerts I have ever seen. It doesn't matter to me if other people hate on them or not. I love all kinds of music and bands.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
What he said. I don't hate them, but they're certainly not worthy of the musical praise bestowed upon them by a lot of people, IMO.

As marketable product, they're incredible. As a band, they're marginally decent.

post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Lifer

How did "War" not get brought up yet?

Working on my project Stang
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:28 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001 GT View Post
Nope, just don't understand why someone that doest like them would make a thread about then just to bash them.
I'm guessing it's just what he wanted to talk about. I'd much rather talk to Bono face to face than see the band perform. He's an interesting cat for sure.

Give me a dollar.
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 AM
not exclude

It's 7:29 AM and U2 still sucks.
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why is the cool thing to hate U2?
Considering U2 is arguably the most popular band in the world, that would make it the NOT cool thing to do.

5:47pm and U2 still sucks.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Considering U2 is arguably the most popular band in the world, that would make it the NOT cool thing to do.

5:47pm and U2 still sucks.
Im talking about on here.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Im talking about on here.
It's DFWstangs. You see a "big" name post up an opinion, and 20 others are sure to follow whether they believe it or not.

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:15 PM
DFWS

well they're two types of people out there! people who hate u2 and the lovers of 'em

me personally i don't get them and just can't dig there music

Keepin' The Old School Alive
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:17 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Suck or not they've won 22 Grammy awards. That's twice as many as the Beatles and over 4x what the Eagles have won. Someone out there thinks they are pretty good.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Suck or not they've won 22 Grammy awards. That's twice as many as the Beatles and over 4x what the Eagles have won. Someone out there thinks they are pretty good.
The mindless masses think they're pretty good, which really proves my point. I won't say that because music is popular it's bad, but when you reach a certain point like U2 has and it's all show, it fits.

post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
The mindless masses think they're pretty good, which really proves my point. I won't say that because music is popular it's bad, but when you reach a certain point like U2 has and it's all show, it fits.
I grew up with U2, their old stuff I love. A lot of the songs I like, regardless of artist/genre remind me of certain things and times. Call me a follower all you want, but most songs/bands that I like are meaningful in some form or fashion. Most of the shit that is put out today is exactly that. At least U2 is melodic. Songs today a 4 year old could write and perform.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM
DFWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
i don't buy music based on how many grammies they have won
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
I grew up with U2, their old stuff I love. A lot of the songs I like, regardless of artist/genre remind me of certain things and times. Call me a follower all you want, but most songs/bands that I like are meaningful in some form or fashion. Most of the shit that is put out today is exactly that. At least U2 is melodic. Songs today a 4 year old could write and perform.
Shit, I'm certainly not defending the music that gets put out today. It's awful. The music that U2 has put out over the course of time is certainly better than most music made today, but that's like saying you're smarter than a retard.

post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Grapevine Ford

I'll still be at the new cowboys stadium on Oct 12th when they come to town!!!

Skip Harmon
Director of Sales
Grapevine Ford/Lincoln
817-319-2298
www.grapevineford.com
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN449 View Post
I'll still be at the new cowboys stadium on Oct 12th when they come to town!!!
Me too

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootro View Post
i don't buy music based on how many grammies they have won

This man hit the nail on the head. I think that I've said this before, but the majority of "artists" that win grammy's these days don't even write the music that they perform. IMO, that should take the "artist" right out of their title.

I know...or at least I'm pretty sure that U2 writes their own stuff, but....their own stuff, at least at this point is pretty bad. The only song that U2 has done that I think is worth a damn is "With or Without You."
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 PM
Time Served

I think south park did a good job showing that bono is full of shit.

SCT Tuned, K&N 77-Series Intake, Magnaflow Duals Cat-back, Cragar / Weld Prostars w/ BFG Radials..
Ohh yeah it's a Ranger..
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashonthebeach View Post
I think south park did a good job showing that bono is full of shit.
You're using South Park to argue your point about a music group's front man who has been nominated for a Nobel? Really? lol.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 12:05 AM
NES Crew

Quote:
You're using South Park to argue your point about a music group's front man who has been nominated for a Nobel? Really? lol.
You're using being nominated for a Noble Peace Prize (Stalin, Mussolini and Hitler have also been nominated) to argue your point about a music group's front man? Really? lol.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangol View Post
You're using being nominated for a Noble Peace Prize (Stalin, Mussolini and Hitler have also been nominated) to argue your point about a music group's front man? Really? lol.
Yup.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Time Served

Quote:
yep.

I jam to Bob Marley.

SCT Tuned, K&N 77-Series Intake, Magnaflow Duals Cat-back, Cragar / Weld Prostars w/ BFG Radials..
Ohh yeah it's a Ranger..
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashonthebeach View Post
yep.

I jam to Bob Marley.
Bob Marley - Legend is a great CD. I listen to it often.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement