Red Dawn on Spike. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Red Dawn on Spike.

For those that are interested, Red Dawn is on Spike right now.

/thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:44 PM
T-MINUS

Possibly the greatest movie ever.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Professional Driver

I was just about to post this.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Pitchin and flippin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC View Post
For those that are interested, Red Dawn is on Spike right now.

/thread
I turned it on right as it was going off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
It's high on the list.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Big "foot"

Every red blooded American male should already own this film.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 PM
<Insert Title Here>

Never seen it before. It had it's definite cheesy moments, but was very cool. Now only if they could do one with some towelheads invading with the commies...we'd be good.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
Never seen it before. It had it's definite cheesy moments, but was very cool.
I hadn't seen it until a few years ago, and my wife saw it for sale and extolled it's virtues. We bought it and sat down and watched it. When it was over, she started apologizing because she had last seen it in the 80's and didn't remember the 80's cheesyness. I immediately stopped her and told her not to apologize. It's a fantastic movie, and bad sound or lame synthesizer music aside, it's an amazing story and the actors in it do a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
Now only if they could do one with some towelheads invading with the commies...we'd be good.
Totally different M.O. It just wouldn't work.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE View Post
I hadn't seen it until a few years ago, and my wife saw it for sale and extolled it's virtues. We bought it and sat down and watched it. When it was over, she started apologizing because she had last seen it in the 80's and didn't remember the 80's cheesyness. I immediately stopped her and told her not to apologize. It's a fantastic movie, and bad sound or lame synthesizer music aside, it's an amazing story and the actors in it do a great job.

Totally different M.O. It just wouldn't work.
I agree with both points. It fit the time when it was made and for those of us who had to grow up with the threat of nuclear war with Russia it hits home hard.

Great movie!

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

ďAn armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.Ē
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Lifer

Watched it once, dont really care to watch it again.

To god damned cheesy.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:02 PM
yes, jluv

Great flick. I would like to see a remake of some sort.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Worship me

I was in 7th grade art class the Monday after it came out and one of my pals comes in and lays out the whole movie to me perfectly. I knew right then it was a masterpiece. lol

I saw this a while back:

"Five of the 36 parachutists who took part in the invasion scene early in the film were injured when high winds blew them as far as one mile off target. Parachutist Jim Fisher, wearing a Soviet paratrooper uniform including full Soviet insignia and including an AKM Assault Rifle, landed in a tree and found himself calling out to local rescuers including armed citizens and police: ďDonít shoot, donít shoot! I am not a Russian soldier!"
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Big "foot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv View Post
Great flick. I would like to see a remake of some sort.

For better or worse...

http://www.comingsoon.net/search.php...earch=red+dawn

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=46707

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Worship me

Remake sounds horrible. Why can't they just take their shitty ideas and make a new shitty movie instead of stealing the name of an old one?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:55 PM
yes, jluv

Cool!

Damn. Lots of crybabies on that site!

LOL @ people saying that remakes ruin the old movies. It's not a replacement. When the new ones come out, the old ones don't dissolve in your media cabinet. The new one can suck, and all it does is make you appreciate the original that much more.

Hopefully they do a new one and do it well.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Cool!

Damn. Lots of crybabies on that site!

LOL @ people saying that remakes ruin the old movies. It's not a replacement. When the new ones come out, the old ones don't dissolve in your media cabinet. The new one can suck, and all it does is make you appreciate the original that much more.

Hopefully they do a new one and do it well.
You must be drunk! The old movie is subject to suckiness by association alone. Movies today are pure shit!
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Remake sounds horrible. Why can't they just take their shitty ideas and make a new shitty movie instead of stealing the name of an old one?

I don't think I'd rather see something with a new name that pretends to be a new movie while it obviously takes it's idea straight from a classic. At least this way they are being up front about it. It's a kickass story and I wouldn't midn seeing a more modern version of it. I'm still going to love the original. I don't understand why people take issue with it. Shit, the new one could kick ass and then we'd have two good ones. You never know.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Worship me

They are going to remake Tron! Like the first one wasn't bad enough. Jesus.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Worship me

Quote:
I don't think I'd rather see something with a new name that pretends to be a new movie while it obviously takes it's idea straight from a classic. At least this way they are being up front about it. It's a kickass story and I wouldn't midn seeing a more modern version of it. I'm still going to love the original. I don't understand why people take issue with it. Shit, the new one could kick ass and then we'd have two good ones. You never know.

It might kick ass. Odds are it is going to be like someone shit in a film can though. Only two remakes I can think of have been good, Dawn of the Dead and War of the Worlds. Even though War of the Worlds let Tim Robbins get a little preachy with his bullshit.

The Day the Earth Stood Still was like watching a two hour film of someone's anus.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Racist....that means you!

Quote:
Fuck you bitch, I rock the tron suit!

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Worship me

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
You must be drunk! The old movie is subject to suckiness by association alone. Movies today are pure shit!
I'm not drunk yet, and that's horseshit.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Racist....that means you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by al p View Post
lmgdao!
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:12 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
It might kick ass. Odds are it is going to be like someone shit in a film can though. Only two remakes I can think of have been good, Dawn of the Dead and War of the Worlds. Even though War of the Worlds let Tim Robbins get a little preachy with his bullshit.

The Day the Earth Stood Still was like watching a two hour film of someone's anus.
You liked War of the Worlds? Doodoo.

King Kong was a good remake.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Worship me

Quote:
You liked War of the Worlds? Doodoo.

King Kong was a good remake.
War of the Worlds was good. And fairly true to the original story. And I really can't stand Tom Cruise anymore.

King Kong wasn't bad, that is true.

The list of shitty remakes are long and numerous though. The Hollywood assholes can't come up with original ideas so I am not suprised. Red Dawn is a great example. Hell it was a B movie when it came out, now it is good enough to be the subject of a remake. Gives you an idea of how far down the shitter the film industry has gone.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Big "foot"

Quote:
Hell it was a B movie when it came out, now it is good enough to be the subject of a remake.
I don't know about that. Red Dawn was following The Outsiders, and that brat pack cast was well on it's way to being a big deal.

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
War of the Worlds was good. And fairly true to the original story. And I really can't stand Tom Cruise anymore.

King Kong wasn't bad, that is true.

The list of shitty remakes are long and numerous though. The Hollywood assholes can't come up with original ideas so I am not suprised. Red Dawn is a great example. Hell it was a B movie when it came out, now it is good enough to be the subject of a remake. Gives you an idea of how far down the shitter the film industry has gone.

I agree about most new movies being shitty and the fact that Hollywood can't seem to come up with any new ideas. That's why I think remakes (at least attempt to) put the old stories we liked on the same playing field as new movies. A lot of younger folks will watch Red Dawn or the original King Kong and have a hard time even getting anything from the story because they are too busy snickering at the cheesy lines and lame special effects.

But anyway, if they remake Red Dawn, they should let Partrick Swayze be the old dude at the gas station/gun store.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE View Post
I don't know about that. Red Dawn was following The Outsiders, and that brat pack cast was well on it's way to being a big deal.
Meh...I don't know. Maybe a B+ but I'd say it was a B movie. Swayze and Jennifer Grey didn't get big until Dirty Dancing. Powers Boothe was in made for TV movies and shit. Charlie Sheen was a nobody. All recognizable now but back then they were small time. I think the biggest star of the time might have been Harry Dean Stanton!

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Worship me

Quote:
I agree about most new movies being shitty and the fact that Hollywood can't seem to come up with any new ideas. That's why I think remakes (at least attempt to) put the old stories we liked on the same playing field as new movies. A lot of younger folks will watch Red Dawn or the original King Kong and have a hard time even getting anything from the story because they are too busy snickering at the cheesy lines and lame special effects.

But anyway, if they remake Red Dawn, they should let Partrick Swayze be the old dude at the gas station/gun store.
The problem is that a lot of movies are made by marketing committee these days. That is where they film a lot of extra stuff, show the movie to a group and then ask them how they think it should have went. That's why it is all the same shit for the most part and anything with a great story and good scriptwriting (Lord of the Rings is a great example) turns out to be a huge blockbuster.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Fuck your couch, that was hilarious.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 10:52 PM
T-MINUS

They will bow down to pressure from some shithead arab group if they actually go through with it.

And people were scared because it was a very realistic possibility that we faced.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Doughnut Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
QFT!

I tried to convince a friend of mine that Red Dawn is the greatest movie ever conceived last week but, she says I'm nuts.
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:

Hey now! Don't be hatin' on Tron just because you sucked at playing Deadly Discs at Six Flags when you were younger!

...and its a sequel btw

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/show...54&postcount=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P

I 100% agree with you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement