Revolutionary Road - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
v2004 rebooted.

Lightbulb Revolutionary Road

I know this won't exactly cater to everyones tastes on here, but this should be an interesting film. I read the novel by Richard Yates awhile back and it was amazing. Set in the quintessential American suburbs of the 1950s it tells the story of a married couple slowly falling apart by buying into the American Dream while ignoring their own. Directed by Sam Mendes(American Beauty) and reuniting Leonardo Decaprio and Kate Winslet for the first time since Titanic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpra9OEw6nQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Mrs. PooterWS6

I saw the trailer for this first time Saturday on a DVD we rented.. then noticed the nominations on the Golden Globes. Looks really good although with my narrow mind, its hard for me to watch two stars together in different movies... Winslet/Leo, Gere/Lane, Hank/Ryan etc... I really like DiCaprio as an actor. He has done some great movies.

"I don't skinny dip, I chubby dunk"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 02:11 PM
who cares

It looks interesting to me!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
v2004 rebooted.

This wasn't very widely released, looks like I'm going to have to wait until DVD to check it out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
v2004 rebooted.

Well, they turned around and widely released it. We checked it out tonight. It was good, and for a lot of people will probably be hard to watch. Heard quite a few complaints from others leaving the theater. Several people tried laughing at things that weren't funny, as if to avoid some of the akward situations this movie presented. This is a drama, pure and simple, and if you're not going to watch it as such you are NOT going to like it. Aptly adapted from the book. Kate Winslet seemed like she was over acting the entire movie just a little(born from her theater background I'm sure), but Dicapio pulled off a stunning performance. This movie is sort of like Leaving Las Vegas only in the Suburbs, no hookers, and slightly less drinking. Be prepared for some serious shit. This is not a movie that pulls any punches.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman View Post
Well, they turned around and widely released it. We checked it out tonight. It was good, and for a lot of people will probably be hard to watch. Heard quite a few complaints from others leaving the theater. Several people tried laughing at things that weren't funny, as if to avoid some of the akward situations this movie presented. This is a drama, pure and simple, and if you're not going to watch it as such you are NOT going to like it. Aptly adapted from the book. Kate Winslet seemed like she was over acting the entire movie just a little(born from her theater background I'm sure), but Dicapio pulled off a stunning performance. This movie is sort of like Leaving Las Vegas only in the Suburbs, no hookers, and slightly less drinking. Be prepared for some serious shit. This is not a movie that pulls any punches.
Just wondering what to expect, what were they complaining about as they left. You won't ruin it for me if you're specific I just wanna have an idea cause it sounds like a good movie from what I have heard, but I haven't heard much.

Working on my project Stang
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point0pony View Post
Just wondering what to expect, what were they complaining about as they left. You won't ruin it for me if you're specific I just wanna have an idea cause it sounds like a good movie from what I have heard, but I haven't heard much.

The lady next to us that was laughing at inappropriate times vaguely remarked "It was the worst movie I've ever seen!" LOL, then I heard a guy in the bathroom bitching about it not being what he expected, and needing to go see something with Jim Carrey in it now to make up for it. Mostly non specific stupid shit like that. The wife and I both liked it. It will make you think about your life and how you go to where you are in it, and if you are happy. I'd call the movie an intricate portait of two peoples failure to live thier lives. I'd read the book over seeing the movie though. The book was a masterpiece. The movie was good, which is more than I can say for most movies of this type that are put on the big screen.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Been wanting to see this since I first read about it awhile back. Probably check it out tonight.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Time Served

I saw this movie a few nights ago and walked out wanting to smoke a ciggarette and have a martini or something. They drink and smoke throughout the whole thing. I guess it's a 50s thing. That's besides the point though. It was a decent flick. Didn't care for the ending too much. Leo did a great job acting, Kate did okay but she's pretty much the same in every movie in my opinion except for Eternal Sunshine. I think they could have built up the whole falling-in-love scenes a little more because it kinda just went straight into them having problems without building any kind of character... what's the word... I guess relationship? You don't really get to know the characters very well which made it hard for me to kinda get involved. I dunno though, guess I just didn't really relate too much.

Acura TSX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement