Taxi Driver - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
v2004 rebooted.

Taxi Driver

I try to watch movies and place myself in the time period they were created, but I had a hard time not thinking this was pretty overrated. On the other hand I also thought Scarface sucked balls. It had some interesting bits, and now I've finally seen the legendary "You talkin' to me?" bit, but aside from that I can think of a lot better things to do with 2 hours of your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Lifer

Then I recommend you don't read "The Catcher In The Rye" or watch "A Clockwork Orange". Keep it simple like "Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure" and "National Lampoon".
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 PM
mannish boy

lol @ Catcher in the Rye & A Clockwork Orange

all three suck, and I consider myself fairly cultured and intelligent

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Disagree with you on Taxi Driver, Eric. I do agree with you on the completely over-hyped Scarface though.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Lifer

i always heard references to catcher in the rye in movies and shit. so a couple years ago i bought it and read it. i dont see what the big deal was.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT03Term
Then I recommend you don't read "The Catcher In The Rye" or watch "A Clockwork Orange". Keep it simple like "Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure" and "National Lampoon".

I've read Catcher in the Rye twice and own the movie A Clockwork Orange. If you're thinking that movie is so badass you should check reality and read the novel instead. Want to add anything else?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 AM
Lifer

I'm a classic movie and cult movie fan, but I had to turn off Clockwork Orange.

Taxi Driver is a good movie in the context of the time. Scorsese knows how to make movies and that's back in the day when De Niro was real dramatic actor. Before his Meet the Parents crap.

The younger generation out there have become so desensitized by movies like Saw, Hostel, Turistas, and modern CGI action/adventure exploitive garbage. To fully appreciate older movies you have to view them Tabula Rasa (blank slate). Don't go into it making comparisons to anything contemporary. People forget that in 1975 Jaws was so hardcore by movie standards of the time that people vomited and had to leave the theater. In 1973, The Exorcists had people leaving the theater having panic attacks and overwhelmed by the imagery. It was in mainstream news all across the country at the time. And this was a time when it was just becoming permissible to say "pregnant" on a broadcast television show. In 2008, your average teenager would probably giggle at those types of movies.

The further you go back in time, movies had more substance and plot development. They didn't have to technology to wow audiences with special effects, so they relied on a good well written plot. The movies and the actors back then also had a lot more class. The exception being B movies or spaghetti westerns, of course.

Now it's the opposite. Laughable and convoluted plots bolstered by CGI effects to create a shock factor. Completely unrealistic fight scenes in any action movie following the Matrix. That's when you respect guys like Jackie Chan who literally keep it real. Or directors like Michael Bay that still makes his actors perform the majority of their stunts in lieu of using CGI face replacement techniques. Making Shia LaBeouf stand precariously on the edge of a buidling to perform a scene critical to the movie. Not just shooting it against a blue screen and using CGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.

Last edited by Mustangman_2000; 12-02-2008 at 05:44 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 AM
mannish boy

I like PLENTY of old movies... many made before Taxi Driver... I just don't think it's all that great
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
I've read Catcher in the Rye twice and own the movie A Clockwork Orange. If you're thinking that movie is so badass you should check reality and read the novel instead. Want to add anything else?
I was just messin' with you. I have read "A Clockwork Orange" and consider it a classic. I was referring to books and movies that hold a deeper meaning, not just a bunch of "in out, in out" and "ultra violence". To each his own
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Big "foot"

It's been a long time since I saw Taxi Driver, but from what I remember, I agree for the most part. It was good because it was so different, but it was different in the mid 70's, not now.

I also agree on Scarface being over rated.

Now, if you want to see some fucked up mid-70's movie making, go watch Dog Day Afternoon. An absolutely crazy scenario, and to me the most disturbing part of the whole thing was the lack of sound track.

Edit: side note, but on IMDB, Dog Day Afternoon has, hands down, the goofiest "user comments" drivel I have ever come across. It's actually quite comical...

"It was so freshening and attractive to see His Majesty, Mr. Al Pacino, in this breathtaking movie of 1970s. The first thing that a discerning eye would notice throughout the film is the undying uniqueness of Pacino's originality."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072890/

Last edited by BLAKE; 12-02-2008 at 09:22 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
The exception being...spaghetti westerns, of course...
What the fuck do you have against Spaghetti Westerns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
v2004 rebooted.

Saw Dog Day Afternoon a few years back and it was pretty alright. Scarface is the most overrated movie of all time.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
reppin tha westside

Clockwork Orange CANNOT be watched straight/sober.

trust me

------------------------------------------------------------------------
El Duderino.......of the Crown Royal Cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Jester, your posts do the same thing as going to a county fair, you really make people think "Hey, I'm not so fucked up after looking at that guy!"
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
What the fuck do you have against Spaghetti Westerns?
Because they were low budget and usually poorly produced. There were exceptions, of course.

The Good, Bad, and the Ugly was a great movie. Fistful of Dollars was OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 06:17 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

My Name Is Nobody was awesome, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 01:50 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
My Name Is Nobody was awesome, too.
One of my all time favs there.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 04:43 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by talisman
I try to watch movies and place myself in the time period they were created, but I had a hard time not thinking this was pretty overrated. On the other hand I also thought Scarface sucked balls. It had some interesting bits, and now I've finally seen the legendary "You talkin' to me?" bit, but aside from that I can think of a lot better things to do with 2 hours of your time.
The problem with younger folks watching films like "Taxi Driver", is most weren't born when it was made. In '76, it was pretty rough and tough. A 12 year-old whore, Deniro talking about selling her "little pussy", pimps, and the final shootout (which I still think is eerily done) in that fleabag hotel, were things we hadn't seen at the time. By today's standards, it probably is average, though I still watch it if I catch it on the tube.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
The problem with younger folks watching films like "Taxi Driver", is most weren't born when it was made. In '76, it was pretty rough and tough. A 12 year-old whore, Deniro talking about selling her "little pussy", pimps, and the final shootout (which I still think is eerily done) in that fleabag hotel, were things we hadn't seen at the time. By today's standards, it probably is average, though I still watch it if I catch it on the tube.

I was born in 76. Good points on the rest though.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Very Interesting

Unfortunately Eric, Pacino and DeNiro are so molded into their acting personas, that you've seen 100 films with the same old song and dance from both of them, that you don't appreciate the acting they gave back then.

After The Godfather II, that was DeNiro's "breakout" roll. At the time it was a new, fresh, inovating acting... Now it's "just DeNiro"

Same with Scarface. Pacino had good rolls in The Godfather, and The Godfather II, and Serpico and Dog Day AFternoon were good as well. But Scarface was his "breakout" roll as well. Now I can barely stomach him in a movie anymore. He has no real depth, it's like the same character in every movie...

I'm very much not looking forward to seeing Righteous Kill with both of them.

Although I do think Heat was a great movie with both of them in it.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 10:31 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt
Unfortunately Eric, Pacino and DeNiro are so molded into their acting personas, that you've seen 100 films with the same old song and dance from both of them, that you don't appreciate the acting they gave back then.

After The Godfather II, that was DeNiro's "breakout" roll. At the time it was a new, fresh, inovating acting... Now it's "just DeNiro"

Same with Scarface. Pacino had good rolls in The Godfather, and The Godfather II, and Serpico and Dog Day AFternoon were good as well. But Scarface was his "breakout" roll as well. Now I can barely stomach him in a movie anymore. He has no real depth, it's like the same character in every movie...

I'm very much not looking forward to seeing Righteous Kill with both of them.

Although I do think Heat was a great movie with both of them in it.
Actually, playing Johnny Boy in Mean Streets should probably be considered Deniro's breakout role.

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor!
Actually, playing Johnny Boy in Mean Streets should probably be considered Deniro's breakout role.
Eh, I think Taxi Driver showed a lot more of his "limited" range

Mean Streets wasn't his official lead starring role. Sam's Song was.

Taxi Driver was that "oh wow take a look at this guy" as a lead, movie. Which booked him 4 lead roles in 2 years, with 1900 an italian movie, The Last Tycoon along side Tony Curtis, New York, New York, with Liza Minnelli, and the star studded Dear Hunter.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Lifer

De niro was in a movie around '73 (I think) called "Bang the drum slowly". He played a large role in that, as a punchy baseball catcher. Pretty damn good role, and I was a kid.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 03:46 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
lol @ Catcher in the Rye & A Clockwork Orange

all three suck, and I consider myself fairly cultured and intelligent
I thought A Clockwork Orange was fantastic, you have to able to separate yourself from your normal reality and place yourself in the position the director intends you to be, instead of being on the outside peering in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement