Ever see "Gimme Shelter" - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Ever see "Gimme Shelter"

It's a documentary about the Rolling Stones' Altamont Speedway concert in 1970. They were having a free concert and invited everyone to show.. the Grateful Dead was there, too.. Bob Geldoff (the Woodstock organizer) was there, and a whole bunch of the hippie movement types were on board.

It was supposed to be a continuation of the whole peace and love movement.. but things went terribly ary...

The Stones had hired the Hells Angels to run security for them and they showed up en masse'. From the get go they were clashing with the hippies who where all drugged out on acid and everything else.

The documentary footage is crazy! The stage was about 3 feet high and people were basically crawling right up on stage, naked women, crazy tripped out people getting on the microphones... at one point a German Shepard walks innocently across the stage for some reason, lol-

The Angels were up on stage mixed in with the band, pushing people back and trying to keep the monitor speakers from being dragged off of the stage. They pretty much lashed into whoever was getting a little too happy and beating the crap out of them. Mick Jagger kept stopping the show to try and calm the crowd down, and when they did start playing again, it was obvious he was VERY uncomfortable, seeing all the mayhem going on. He called for an ambulance right from the mic, and the Angels grabbed the mic and told everyone to cool it, but it just wasn't happening.

Finally some black dude about 4 feet from the stage produced a pistol, and the Angels stabbed him to death right in front of the stage. Then there were police everywhere on stage and the Stones stopped playing.

The Stones ended up being lifted out of there via helicopter and that was the end of it. I believe 4 people were killed in the whole ordeal by some means or another.

It was a trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Yep, I saw it last night!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Time Served

It has been many years since I have seen it. Where was it shown last night? I saw Monterrey Pop Festival on Palladia the other night and am recording The Who at the Isle of Wight tomorrow night.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
I gots famous friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott442
It has been many years since I have seen it. Where was it shown last night? I saw Monterrey Pop Festival on Palladia the other night and am recording The Who at the Isle of Wight tomorrow night.
Damn I will have to keep a lookout for the Monterrey Pop Festival. I have Isle of Wight already recorded.

I rented Gimme Shelter from Netflix..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement