Indiana Jones - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
emg
Time Served

Indiana Jones

i went out and saw the new Indiana Jones movie last night. i grew up and watch the other 3 when i was a kid, and thougt they were the best movies ever. i was really excited about the new, but i left the theater being disappointed. as a kid Indys trade mark was that whip, he only used it like twice in the whole movie. im not saying thats the reason the movie wasnt like the others, it was just different. i know i sound like im bashing the movie i still liked it and will buy the DVD when it come out. i dont want to ruin the movie and really tell you the reason why i didnt like as much. anybody else seen it yet, what were your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Sure Shot

Its getting terrible reviews, but I will still see it even if it sucks.

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:02 PM

I am waiting for the DVD to come out.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:34 PM
UFO Club Member

I'm going to see it this weekend.

I'm hearing mixed reviews but come on it's Indiana Jones, like any Star Wars (praying for a 7,8,9) you gotta check it out.

"I Approve This Message"
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Lifer

Im going to see it tonight. Hopefully it wont suck for me.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97blkpny
Its getting terrible reviews, but I will still see it even if it sucks.
It is?

Boston Globe
Ty Burr "...grand old-school fun..." more... B

Chicago Sun-Times
Roger Ebert "I can say that if you liked the other Indiana Jones movies, you will like this one, and that if you did not, there is no talking to you." more... A-

Chicago Tribune
Matt Pais "...highly enjoyable if somewhat unsurprising..." more... B+

Entertainment Weekly
Lisa Schwarzbaum "The movie's legacy may simply be the melee that ensues when Spielberg cracks the whip and moviegoers scurry for tickets." more... B-

filmcritic.com
Christopher Null "I guess the best recommendation I can ultimately offer is this: As I write this review two days after the screening, I'm still humming the theme song." more... B

Los Angeles Times
Kenneth Turan "...avoids being an anticlimax and is entertaining in its own right." more... B

New York Post
Lou Lumenick "...often thrilling, sometimes charming, occasionally clunky family entertainment..." more... B

Rolling Stone
Peter Travers "...hit-and-miss..." more... B-

Seattle Post-Intelligencer
William Arnold "...quite good." more... A-

USA Today
Claudia Puig "...even with the ponderous dialogue, it's hard not to have fun on this adventure..." more... B-

By Michael Sragow | Sun Movie Critic
May 22, 2008 Once again, the Indiana Jones series is the rare franchise that treasures knowledge and embraces the unknown. B+

Hollywoodchicago.com
Despite some things that make you go "hmmm" with the translucent stick extraterrestrials plot, this is the real Indiana Jones deal. The spirit is spot on and Hollywood this time has fantastically exhumed its venerated roots.

wafflemovies.com
Has the perfect amounts of camp, humor, danger, action and swashbuckling (lots of swashbuckling) to keep everyone in the audience entertained.

E! online
Fortunately, a smart script and great set pieces make this tale of Soviet spies, weird artifacts and a lost city a worthy capstone to the series.

Washington Post
t's romantic manliness at its purest, almost but not quite schmaltz, ideally calculated to please true believers and ironic snorters at once.

New Republic
Even as the movie occasionally trips over its nostalgias, it's still a likable, if unremarkable, entertainment, a pleasant echo of past delights.

New York Daily
ndiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is entertaining, inventive and old-fashioned in the best way.

Yahoo Users - B+
Rotten Tomatoes - 7.1 out of 10 80%
Movies.com j- B+
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:43 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

The movie doesn't suck at all.

I wouldn't say its the best of the Indiana Jones saga but it isn't the worst either. I'd say it was definitely better than "The Last Crusade" and ALMOST on par with "Temple of Doom" but not as good as "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

LaBeouf didn't suck like I thought he would be there were a couple of parts that were just too unbelievable. (can't tell you without spoiling it) However his acting was pretty good.

Harrison Ford was simply fantastic as always. I can't believe that TOM SELLECK was originally cast as Indiana Jones and had to bow out due to scheduling issues with Magnum P.I. I bet he smacks himself in the balls for passing up that role..

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:19 PM
DFWS

Chicago Sun-Times, USA Today, and New York Daily also said the movie "Cloverfield" was great

but yeah i'm definitely waiting for the dvd but i'll pass going to see it in the theaters

Keepin' The Old School Alive
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Lifer

I just got done seeing it and it was pretty good. I'll buy it when it comes out on DVD.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Lifer

I liked it just fine. I hope you're not looking for a realistic flick.. because just like all the other IJ movies, it' ain't. They were a little over the top with computerized special effects, but I guess that's movie reality in the '00s.

One thing I thought was lacking was the HUMOR of the other flicks. There were a couple of funny parts, but not nearly enough. I like off-color humor and I expected more. Overall I give it a B.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Big "foot"

I enjoyed the hell out of it. It certainly wasn't without it's flaws, but I wasn't going for perfection. I was going to see if that same charisma and chemistry that made the others so great, and I wasn't disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Tbird
One thing I thought was lacking was the HUMOR of the other flicks. .
That's nuts. I thought there was more humor shoe-horned into this one than any other Indy flick.

btw, I counted 3 50's Oldsmobiles in a span of about 39 seconds.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKE
That's nuts. I thought there was more humor shoe-horned into this one than any other Indy flick.
Seems like the humor was more straightforward in this one, where the others were more subtle - but funnier.
Quote:
btw, I counted 3 50's Oldsmobiles in a span of about 39 seconds.
I did too. Did you notice that MOST of the vehicles in the movie were CGI?
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Big "foot"

Quote:
Seems like the humor was more straightforward in this one, where the others were more subtle - but funnier. I did too.
I can see how that could be argued, but I was down with most all of the humor in this new one. Only a couple things, I thought, were over the top, and I think you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Did you notice that MOST of the vehicles in the movie were CGI?
Really? Fuck. Why? haha

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Ultimate X-phoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootro
Chicago Sun-Times, USA Today, and New York Daily also said the movie "Cloverfield" was great

but yeah i'm definitely waiting for the dvd but i'll pass going to see it in the theaters
I was more or less just calling him out on his exaggeration. I get a little irked when people broaden things. One person gives a bad review, suddenly it's "everyone gave it a bad review."
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Time Served

Thought what they were searching for and the story behind it strayed a little from the other 3. Overall liked it. Even though Harrison Ford is like 70 he pulled it off for me.

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 PM
UFO Club Member

Saw it this morning. Storyline was freaking out there but it wasn't bad.

Some scenes were way to unbelieveable but I suck George Lucas' penis

"I Approve This Message"
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Lifer

So are you guys saying wait for the dvd, or is it worth the price of admission? I did plan on seeing it tonight.

"The problem with doing nothing is you never know when your finished."
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Time Served

see it in theaters, its worth it!
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-95GT
So are you guys saying wait for the dvd, or is it worth the price of admission? I did plan on seeing it tonight.
Go see it.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 01:21 AM
Never Enough

Worth the watch

Saw it today, well yesterday. It was pretty entertaining, but they shouldn't of waited so long to make this one. Grew up watching the others, so it was worth it to see. The story line was a little too out there for me though.

www.myspace.com/r1psycho
www.vimeo.com/r1psycho

2003 Cobra - just a non driving ass
411 hp 399 tq 2-22-08 stock
Not stock, but very slow

RIP *Nanny* Doris Brazil 1-07-31 - 7-16-08
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 02:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg
i went out and saw the new Indiana Jones movie last night. i grew up and watch the other 3 when i was a kid, and thougt they were the best movies ever. i was really excited about the new, but i left the theater being disappointed. as a kid Indys trade mark was that whip, he only used it like twice in the whole movie. im not saying thats the reason the movie wasnt like the others, it was just different. i know i sound like im bashing the movie i still liked it and will buy the DVD when it come out. i dont want to ruin the movie and really tell you the reason why i didnt like as much. anybody else seen it yet, what were your thoughts.
I enjoyed the hell out of it first of all.

Think about it. You saw the others when you were little...so you have a personal "connection" to them. It's like me and The Neverending Story. I saw it when I was little and thought it was the shit, and still do, but when I show it to people my age who haven't seen it now, they're like "this is stupid". However, I showed it to my 8 year old sister and she seriously loves the hell out of it.

I think that it might just be that the magic is gone for you. You have to put things into perspective. I do think that they went a little CG crazy in Indy 4, but it was still entertaining as hell IMO.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 02:59 AM
You never go full retard

I saw the movie 3 days ago online and Harrison Ford and Shia Lebouf were great, no complaints on their end. The story... well IMO Steve Spielberg fucked it up. George Lucas should have just done the whole thing because I knew Spielberg was going to fuck it up, and that he did. It just didn't have the whole archeologist/clue finder feel to it like the last ones did. I wasn't disappointed in the movie but just how they let the story go to shit. I think they could have written a much better and much more realistic story and done just fine.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 03:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan
I saw the movie 3 days ago online and Harrison Ford and Shia Lebouf were great, no complaints on their end. The story... well IMO Steve Spielberg fucked it up. George Lucas should have just done the whole thing because I knew Spielberg was going to fuck it up, and that he did. It just didn't have the whole archeologist/clue finder feel to it like the last ones did. I wasn't disappointed in the movie but just how they let the story go to shit. I think they could have written a much better and much more realistic story and done just fine.
How did Spielberg fuck it up when George Lucas wrote it? Were the camera angles wrong?
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Lifer

Saw it today. Thought it was decent. To me, it was just to plain. Compared to the other 3, it lacked something. It was just hollywood gay action packed.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Time Served

eh.. corny.. and a tad farfetched..

all new movies have lost it.. they just feel half hearted.. like its more for the money than making a great movie..

SCT Tuned, K&N 77-Series Intake, Magnaflow Duals Cat-back, Cragar / Weld Prostars w/ BFG Radials..
Ohh yeah it's a Ranger..
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Time Served

I didn't like it even though it was filmed like a 50's movie they should of used todays tech....
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Gunga galunga

If you didn't grow up with the first three you would probably think this movie sucks, but I thought it was a great Iniana Jones and followed the style of the previous movies well.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
If you didn't grow up with the first three you would probably think this movie sucks, but I thought it was a great Iniana Jones and followed the style of the previous movies well.
I did grow up with the first 3. I thought sucked donkey balls. It was slapped together with no heart. Ashame it's receiving great reviews. It was a turd.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Time Served

haven't seen it yet, my brother saw it last night and said it was horrible.

its still "we the people"right?

"So this is how democracy dies, with thunderous applause"

"a lesson lived is a lesson learned, everyday is a lesson."

obama is a man made disaster
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Lifer

Just got back from the 7:15 feature. Three of us went, and all felt the same...it wasn't very good. Some decent parts, but no real surprises, and really "out there" at the end. Overall, I'd say it was a little bit of a let-down.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:44 PM
aka The Cougar

We saw it the other night and I, too, was disappointed. I love the other indy movies, but this one was a little out there. It seemed a little cheesy for today's standards, especially the swinging through the trees by Shai lebouf (however you spell his name). I was really looking forward to it, but left feeling 'eh'.

Token Split Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW stangs.
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:30 PM
v2004 rebooted.

I enjoyed the hell out of the first half. Hotrodder challenging the shoebox to race, the greasers vs the jocks, and the car/Harley chase. Then it seemed to peter out a bit, but it was still entertaining. I think the diner where they started the fight was the same one McFly confronted Biff in Back to the Future. Look of the street outside was the same and so was the general layout though the tables and decor were changed. I'd give it a B, not as cool as the first 3 but worth seeing.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 AM
LUCIFER

Just watched this yesterday:
I liked the first 3 but this one was just lacking something(maybe a younger Harrison Ford)
Had the same Indy comedy, but it just wasn't the same. Not great but not near as good as the others

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Worship me

I thought it was mediocre. The script was absolutely terrible in some parts. Compared to other movies today it is pretty good, compared to the old movies it sucks ass.
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 AM
DERP DERP DERP

I was going to post the clip of Steven Spielberg, and George Lucas raping Indiana Jones from South Park, but I'm too lazy.

post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Lifer

Just hide in a fridge if a nuke goes off you will be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement