Dallas International Guitar Festival / and building a guitar.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Dallas International Guitar Festival / and building a guitar....

The Dallas International Guitar Festival starts tomorrow. A ton of live performances will be happening during the entire event.

Of note, Yngwie Malmsteen will be performing Saturday at 2pm on the Fender stage.

Other performers include:
Rick Derringer
Geroge Lynch
Kentucky Head Hunters
Doyle Dykes
Andy Timmons
Kim Simmons / Savoy Brown
Black Stone Cherry (sounds like an ice cream flavor)
Bugs Henderson
Elliot Easton
Johnny A
Lord Tracy
Will Ray

From the looks of the Dallas Market Hall floor plan, there appears to be well over 100 booths for exhibitors. Gibson, Jimmy Wallace, and PRS have the biggest booths with Fender and Peavey having smaller (but still large) booths.

There are several outdoor stages and a few indoor ones (including an indoor acoustic stage).

While I'm at the show, one of the things I'm going to shop for is a guitar kit. As some of you know, I've been a woodworker for most of my life and I thought I would like to try my hand at building a guitar. I want to build both an electric solid body and an acoustic. The solid body kits that I've seen usually have a completed bolt on neck with the fret work completed. I actually want one where I have to do all the fret work. I want that because I think that kind of knowledge will transfer over to the building of the acoustic.

Yesterday I discovered that Martin Guitars actually has acoustic guitar kits. As you would expect from Martin, they are actually pretty good kits. They cost between $350 and $600. The $600 is actually a Martin D-41 kit.

Links:
Dallas Guitar Festival: http://www.guitarshow.com/Home/
Martin Guitar Kits: http://www.mguitar.com/1833/catalog....%20%26%20Tools

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
The Dallas International Guitar Festival starts tomorrow. A ton of live performances will be happening during the entire event.

Of note, Yngwie Malmsteen will be performing Saturday at 2pm on the Fender stage.

Other performers include:
Rick Derringer
Geroge Lynch
Kentucky Head Hunters
Doyle Dykes
Andy Timmons
Kim Simmons / Savoy Brown
Black Stone Cherry (sounds like an ice cream flavor)
Bugs Henderson
Elliot Easton
Johnny A
Lord Tracy
Will Ray

From the looks of the Dallas Market Hall floor plan, there appears to be well over 100 booths for exhibitors. Gibson, Jimmy Wallace, and PRS have the biggest booths with Fender and Peavey having smaller (but still large) booths.

There are several outdoor stages and a few indoor ones (including an indoor acoustic stage).

While I'm at the show, one of the things I'm going to shop for is a guitar kit. As some of you know, I've been a woodworker for most of my life and I thought I would like to try my hand at building a guitar. I want to build both an electric solid body and an acoustic. The solid body kits that I've seen usually have a completed bolt on neck with the fret work completed. I actually want one where I have to do all the fret work. I want that because I think that kind of knowledge will transfer over to the building of the acoustic.

Yesterday I discovered that Martin Guitars actually has acoustic guitar kits. As you would expect from Martin, they are actually pretty good kits. They cost between $350 and $600. The $600 is actually a Martin D-41 kit.

Links:
Dallas Guitar Festival: http://www.guitarshow.com/Home/
Martin Guitar Kits: http://www.mguitar.com/1833/catalog....%20%26%20Tools
I would think an electric kit would be a lot easier than an acoustic. I've tinkered with electrics for a long time, swapping out parts looking for a better tone, or just to see what happens.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
I would think an electric kit would be a lot easier than an acoustic.
ya think?

That's why I'm going to start off with a solid body. The only problem for me is that I want a kit where I have to do the fret work...

I'm very sure I can do the acoustic. I would just need to take it slow. I've been a woodworker all my life. I've pretty much already got the tools for the job

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
ya think?

That's why I'm going to start off with a solid body. The only problem for me is that I want a kit where I have to do the fret work...

I'm very sure I can do the acoustic. I would just need to take it slow. I've been a woodworker all my life. I've pretty much already got the tools for the job
I helped a buddy do a fret-job on an old Telecaster. It turned out real good, but took several tries to get it just right. I've picked up some pretty good "players" lately, too, that need a few little things. I like to "tinker", but won't trust myself to build one.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:45 PM
oh really?

there's a thread on the bc rich forum about building a neck. at least doing frets and inlays..
www.bcrichplayers.com

i made three bodys in high school shop class. they look really nice!
but i didn't take into consideration neck angle or bridge height so they didn't work with the tele neck i had.

'93 hatch
'91 ls1 coupe
'86 yamaha razz - pink, with nitrous
'78 puch maxi-luxe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Pitchin and flippin

I think I'm going to head out the tomorrow and check out Yngwie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement