guitar center is on crack. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

guitar center is on crack.

Anyone else noticed this? I went to two last night and neither had what I was looking for but they did have plenty of guitars for 100 more than musicians friend wants. Last I checked those two were affiliated? I looked at a fender 60's classic strat for 799 (100 more) with a nice huge dent in the body. The first I went to the sales guy was trying to convince some kid to pay full price for one that was missing parts, saying "its just cosmetic". WTF?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Sticky Side Down

if you barter with guitar center they will give you the best price. I read about it on some acoustic guitar forum. supposedly, if you offer anything over cost they will take it. so you have to guess what their cost is. My friend and I went and tried it and I picked out a bass and basically asked for about 30% off and they accepted. i dont know if they have changed that policy or not, but I can verify that it used to work.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 07:07 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Of course GC is on crack. Are you just figuring this out?

You are correct that Musicians Friend and Guitar Center are owned by the same company. I'm not certain as to why they have a price disparity but I think it is because they were originally separate companies with separate contracts from the manufacturers. The current owner of the company hasn't merged MF and GC into a single entity.

I think that is one of the reasons we don't have to pay sales taxes when buying from MF. You have to pay sales tax when buying from GC.com because they have brick and mortar stores in almost every state...

All that said, I've had nothing but bad luck with MF. I've attempted to buy two guitars from them. Both arrived poorly packaged and damaged. One had a huge gash in the neck. But that could just be my run of bad luck...

BTW, you can negotiate prices at GC. I know a few guys that have printed out MF web pages and gotten a GC manager to lower the price.

Lastly, GC has a lot of people that know what they are talking about and they have just as many people that do know jack shit. My recommendation is to find ONE GUY and do business only with him. Thats what I've done. I bought both my Breedlove and Jag from one dude. He also handels all my accessory purchases. I'm to the point that I call the store before I go to make sure he's there before I head down.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Of course GC is on crack. Are you just figuring this out?

You are correct that Musicians Friend and Guitar Center are owned by the same company. I'm not certain as to why they have a price disparity but I think it is because they were originally separate companies with separate contracts from the manufacturers. The current owner of the company hasn't merged MF and GC into a single entity.

I think that is one of the reasons we don't have to pay sales taxes when buying from MF. You have to pay sales tax when buying from GC.com because they have brick and mortar stores in almost every state...

All that said, I've had nothing but bad luck with MF. I've attempted to buy two guitars from them. Both arrived poorly packaged and damaged. One had a huge gash in the neck. But that could just be my run of bad luck...

BTW, you can negotiate prices at GC. I know a few guys that have printed out MF web pages and gotten a GC manager to lower the price.

Lastly, GC has a lot of people that know what they are talking about and they have just as many people that do know jack shit. My recommendation is to find ONE GUY and do business only with him. Thats what I've done. I bought both my Breedlove and Jag from one dude. He also handels all my accessory purchases. I'm to the point that I call the store before I go to make sure he's there before I head down.
I had hoped it had got a hell of a lot better but I was wrong. Shit all I want right now is something cheap. I went in looking for a cheap ass squier, back ordered. My luck with MF has been pretty good, got a couple guitars and my amp from them.

Maybe I'll go back and get the gretsch I looked at.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Fear the lawn gnome

whats wrong with the old hooptie of mine?

My mustang i ordered from MF and it arrived in perfect condition the box wasnt denter in one spot. Ive mainly used them for small stuff but im glad i baught it from them.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Nothin, just want something I won't be pissed about if the cat knocks it over. The woman wouldn't be too happy if I used a .45 on the cat over a guitar.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Lifer

That's weird I got a great deal on my guitar. I got over 40% off and they threw in a case, and some free wires. Just tell give them a price that you will pay.

I'll show your president the same respect you showed mine.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985GT
if you barter with guitar center they will give you the best price. I read about it on some acoustic guitar forum. supposedly, if you offer anything over cost they will take it. so you have to guess what their cost is. My friend and I went and tried it and I picked out a bass and basically asked for about 30% off and they accepted. i dont know if they have changed that policy or not, but I can verify that it used to work.
This is true, when I first started playing guitar I needed some strings and my uncle took me to guitar center and walked up to the counter and said "Those strings are cheaper on blah blah so you need to give me a better deal." It worked.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I went pawn shop surfing earlier and found what I was looking for. Picked up a blue squier affinity strat for 120. It needs some 13's now, playing 9's is weird now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement