Foo Fighters ROCK the AAC - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Foo Fighters ROCK the AAC

Last night Mr. Evil and I went to the Foo Fighters concert with our ladies. What a fantastic time. We even saw TorchRedStang there.

The evening started a little slow with an act called Against Me! Sorry, I thought they sucked. Seemed like their tempo was off with the drummers timing being either faster or slower than the others in the band. Personally I didn't care for the songs that much anyways. The Jimmy Eat World took to the stage and did a bit better. They were definitely more polished but for the most part they just aren't my thing. They do have a couple of hits and I enjoyed them. I do think they put on a good show, just not my thing....

Now away with that crap. The Foo came on stage and Dave Grohl started with Let it Die. Its a great song that starts off somewhat slowly but finishes with Dave's screaming. A perfect way to start a show.

Grohl promised a two and a half hour show but I think things went a little fast for them. It ended up being two hours but what a friggin' fantastic two hours they were. I can see what people talk about when they say Grohl doesn't have a fantastic vocal range but damn that guy can entertain a crowd. The second song was The Pretender and was performed to perfection. It really had the crowd going.

Several songs later a round satellite stage dropped from the ceiling and the band moved to the center of the AAC for their acoustic/electric set. They performed songs from the "Skin and Bones" live CD like Hero, Marigold, Skin and Bones, and Times Like These. Taylor Hawkins also sang Cold Day in the Sun. The rest of the band went back to the main stage and Grohl started singing Everlong. However instead of playing an acoustic guitar, he used his Gibson Signature DG-335. (more on that in a sec). He played through most of the song before running back to the main stage and rocking out the rest of Everlong with the band. Several songs later they ended the show and went backstage to wait for the encore.

While everyone was screaming their heads off, Dave showed up on the video screen with a night vision camera. The camera was showing a list of songs and Dave was there with his huge grin and hilariously taunting the crowd for the encore. Finally they came back on stage and finished up with Big Me, Best of You, and one other song I'm too tired to remember.

The Foo Fighters were AWESOMENESS INCARNATE..

I checked on Flickr and found several photostreams from the concert. This picture is from Jetton75. A link to his photostream, as well as others is below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3850191...7603786862101/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nrrh/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibeatdrum/

Dave Grohl was playing his Gibson Signature DG-335. This guitar is basically an ES-335 with a Firebird headstock and diamond shaped f-holes. You can read more about it here it you're interested.
http://www.gibsoncustom.com/inspiredby/Grohl.html

I want one but they are too damn expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Ah, I was there as well! Kick ass show! Jimmy Eat World was suprisingly good as well.

edit: Definitely didn't see that horrible Against Me! band. We checked out their myspace before we went and said hell no and showed up at around 845, right on time to catch JEW go on.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
Ah, I was there as well! Kick ass show! Jimmy Eat World was suprisingly good as well.

edit: Definitely didn't see that horrible Against Me! band. We checked out their myspace before we went and said hell no and showed up at around 845, right on time to catch JEW go on.
Yea, Mr. Evil did the same thing and didn't show until 9. I was stuck listening to them. Fortunately I had ear plugs. I kept them in for both opening sets. The Foo was much harder on the ears, but in a good way

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis
Yea, Mr. Evil did the same thing and didn't show until 9. I was stuck listening to them. Fortunately I had ear plugs. I kept them in for both opening sets. The Foo was much harder on the ears, but in a good way
Ha. It was really loud, but totally worth it. I especially enjoyed the little rant he went on about pot, and immediately about 60% of the crowd lit up...it was hilarious.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 09:34 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

I'll agree with Sgt Beavis' review.

I am against Rise Against. They suck and whoever was running the board for them sucks too. Bass guitar and bass drum up way too loud. A constant drone of yuck. I wore my earplugs the entire set and prayed for the end.

JEW sounded better. Still loud enough to require earplugs. At least I recognized some of their songs but alas, they suck too.

Foo Fighters sounded good but I felt that Dave's guitar level was a little low. From the beginning, I wondered how Dave would be able to finish the night since his voice sounded pretty rough IMO. From my seat, the volume was low enough to not require earplugs which was nice. I enjoyed the second stage set and it was right in front of me which was a bonus. Usually, a drum solo is beer run or bathroom time but I listened with interest and was saddened by the fact that there is no way to replicate the impact, quickness, and tightness of the smaller drums in a car audio system.

Foo Fighters were great but two lame opening bands would be better replaced with one good opening band.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:08 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

I knew it. Foos canceled a few shows 'cause Dave is sick.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Gunga galunga

I missed this show and I'm pissed... I had a free ticket if I could have gone, but I couldn't get out of a prior commitment Glad you guys got to enjoy a good show!

"Apres moi le deluge"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement