What songs make you just LOVE music? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys
 
mikecobra95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Third Eye
Posts: 3,405
What songs make you just LOVE music?

I have to say for me a perfect example of what is a masterpiece to me is the song "Rosetta Stoned" by TOOL off their 10,000 Days album.

From 5:25 to the end of the song. This to me is the perfect example of why everyone who listens to TOOL understands why they are simply the best out there. It ranges from things such as off time signatures between the guitar, bass, and drums to the bass taking the lead in an odd timing signature, to the guitars amazing tone on a overlaying solo to the perfect unison of the vocals on top of it all. All 3 guys playing somehow plowing throw different timing signatures in their riffs all to end up in perfect unison at the end.

Being a guitar player and in a band myself it just makes me proud to say this is the music I love. I will NEVER in my life write anything that great. If you have the album take a listen.

What stuff makes you love the music you do????

mikecobra95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I. Am. God.
 
Shoot To Kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: the valley
Posts: 5,895
" hey john, what's your name agian " - The devil Wears Prada

" Ants of the Sky " - Between the Buried and Me

and many many more.





oh yeah, thread move in 3.....2.....1....

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
Shoot To Kill is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Oooooooh-whee
 
Tyrone Biggums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: What up with that? What up with that?!
Posts: 10,434
Every time I hear Neneh Cherry's Buffalo Stance, I have to fight back tears it's so moving.

8/16/05
Tyrone Biggums is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Ultimate X-phoria
 
Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Not now chief, i'm in the fuckin zone
Posts: 19,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
Every time I hear Neneh Cherry's Buffalo Stance, I have to fight back tears it's so moving.
Gerardo's "Rico Suave" does the same to me.
Hollywood is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:47 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Just depends on what sort of mood I'm in.

Sometimes I just want something to make me so fucking depressed. It's times like that that I love The Cure's Pornography album Today is the Day's Sadness Will Prevail album. That's the kind of mood I'm in today. I blame my job. Geof Dwyer, anybody?

Geor! is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:48 PM
que?
 
grove rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,662
crank that soulja boy
grove rat is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:53 PM
I voted for McCain!!
 
Somewhere in Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 3,823
I'm a long time guitarist too. There are waaay to many songs to list but a few guitar driven honorable mentions...

Iron Maiden-Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner
masterpiece all the way through

Iron Maiden-Anything of the "Piece of Mind" album.
Every song is A++ which is rare these days.

Megadeth-Hanger 18
Marty Friedman tears up leads on this one

Pantera-Slaughtered

Opeth-A Fair Judgement is Served
If your a guitarist you have to check out Opeth, amazing stuff.

Rush-2112
Speaks for itself

Symphony X-Odyssey
Somewhere in Time is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
la villa strangiato-Rush, life's not a race-311, only in dreams-weezer, shine on you crazy diamond-floyd. any live Phish album.

but above all.

ballad of curtis loew-lynyrd skynyrd. one of the most beautifully crafted songs ever; damned near makes me want to cry occasionally.

Slowhand is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:23 PM
African Booty Scratcher
 
ELVIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Uranus
Posts: 13,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums
Every time I hear Neneh Cherry's Buffalo Stance, I have to fight back tears it's so moving.

now dont....get fresh with me.......

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
ELVIS is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Next Door
Posts: 1,870
"Rosa Parks"- Outkast

99BRINGIT is offline  
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Oooooooh-whee
 
Tyrone Biggums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: What up with that? What up with that?!
Posts: 10,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS
now dont....get fresh with me.......

god bless.

Mah Boy!!

8/16/05
Tyrone Biggums is offline  
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:29 PM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecobra95
I have to say for me a perfect example of what is a masterpiece to me is the song "Rosetta Stoned" by TOOL off their 10,000 Days album.

From 5:25 to the end of the song. This to me is the perfect example of why everyone who listens to TOOL understands why they are simply the best out there. It ranges from things such as off time signatures between the guitar, bass, and drums to the bass taking the lead in an odd timing signature, to the guitars amazing tone on a overlaying solo to the perfect unison of the vocals on top of it all. All 3 guys playing somehow plowing throw different timing signatures in their riffs all to end up in perfect unison at the end.

Being a guitar player and in a band myself it just makes me proud to say this is the music I love. I will NEVER in my life write anything that great. If you have the album take a listen.

What stuff makes you love the music you do????

Which number is that? I was listening to that CD again yesterday, all the way through. A couple of the "songs" are a complete waste of space on the CD. I'm a Tool fan, and there are some good songs on there, but they went a little too retarded with some of the others.
jluv is offline  
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:33 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Which number is that? I was listening to that CD again yesterday, all the way through. A couple of the "songs" are a complete waste of space on the CD. I'm a Tool fan, and there are some good songs on there, but they went a little too retarded with some of the others.
God damn, shit the bed.

Geor! is offline  
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 8,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BRINGIT
"Rosa Parks"- Outkast
"Elevators" - Outkast
"So Fresh So Clean" - Outkast
TOMMY is offline  
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:51 PM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
God damn, shit the bed.
Shit the God damned bed!
jluv is offline  
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:05 PM
I. Am. God.
 
Shoot To Kill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: the valley
Posts: 5,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time
I'm a long time guitarist too. There are waaay to many songs to list but a few guitar driven honorable mentions...

Iron Maiden-Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner
masterpiece all the way through

Iron Maiden-Anything of the "Piece of Mind" album.
Every song is A++ which is rare these days.

Megadeth-Hanger 18
Marty Friedman tears up leads on this one

Pantera-Slaughtered

Opeth-A Fair Judgement is Served
If your a guitarist you have to check out Opeth, amazing stuff.

Rush-2112
Speaks for itself

Symphony X-Odyssey
you ever listen to anything new?

as in Between the Buried and Me?

incredible guitarists.

1994 Cobra Pace Car For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56482
only on DFWstangs...
Shoot To Kill is offline  
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 PM
DERP DERP DERP
 
90GT50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Close one eye, step to the side.
Posts: 36,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot To Kill
you ever listen to anything new?

as in Between the Buried and Me?

incredible guitarists.
Shane Blay FTW! in oh, sleeper now, I'm friends with all those guys. Paul Waggoner is pretty good too, but he uses most of Shane's playing style.

What's funny to me is he's using Shane's guitar in this vid, and calls it his for some reason. Selkies solo tracking
http://youtube.com/watch?v=__5FTokSYkg

90GT50 is offline  
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Lifer
 
jims93lx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GP, TX
Posts: 1,867
That song by the Fugees...Killing me softly...

To me that is some of the best harmonizing I have ever heard. They coulda done that song acapella, and it still would have sold a bajillion copies. Too bad there aren't many really exceptional voices out there like that anymore..Lauryn Hill is a fucking badass
jims93lx is offline  
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 PM
On a downward spiral
 
idrivea4banger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: in the land of the crazy and the wicked; a place far far away from reality; in a distant galaxy with demonic beings, a place only known as: crooked I
Posts: 5,334
l.a. woman by the doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Hopefully this storm will blow idrivea4banger's sig the fuck away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Someone who is able, needs to put the cock block on his ridiculous sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
and your sig causes distress in 74% of board members and 98% of migratory birds
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
No, your sig sucks like a whitegirl trying to get a promotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
idrivea4banger is offline  
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:34 PM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC
ballad of curtis loew-lynyrd skynyrd. one of the most beautifully crafted songs ever; damned near makes me want to cry occasionally.
reminds me of my late brother, Curtis, so yeah, it hits home

but today the songs that made me love music were:

"One Way Out" and "Statesboro Blues" by the Allman Brothers
Cooter is offline  
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims93lx
That song by the Fugees...Killing me softly...

To me that is some of the best harmonizing I have ever heard. They coulda done that song acapella, and it still would have sold a bajillion copies. Too bad there aren't many really exceptional voices out there like that anymore..Lauryn Hill is a fucking badass
agreed!

if you want harmonizing, check out some old school Crosby, Stills, and Nash
Cooter is offline  
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:42 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
if you want harmonizing, check out some old school Crosby, Stills, and Nash
Fuckin' A, that's some good, good shit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Pilgrim
 
Phillystang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,086
Live DMB- ants marching
Phillystang is offline  
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Professional Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Closed Course
Posts: 6,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Gerardo's "Rico Suave" does the same to me.

That song used to get my ex moist


71chevellejohn is offline  
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 176
Swisha House.... H-town Chopped and Screwed "Screw You I am From Texas" AND the KrunK KREW and countless others but would like to keep it short Did i mention I love my state...... Texas
stangs_ridn_high is offline  
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 12:52 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Damn, there are way too many songs to mention. It doesn't help my muscial tastes are all over the place too.

A few off of the top of my head:

Imagine - John Lennon
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zepplin
Yesterday- The Beatles
Along The Watch Tower
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Ring Of Fire
Walk The Line
Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
Wanted Dead or Alive (live version) - Bon Jovi
Fade To Black
One
Sanatarium- Metallica
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
New Years Day
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
With Or Without You - U2
Hotel California- Eagles
Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles

Anything from Depeche Mode.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Eagles>Cowboys
 
mikecobra95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: The Third Eye
Posts: 3,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
Which number is that? I was listening to that CD again yesterday, all the way through. A couple of the "songs" are a complete waste of space on the CD. I'm a Tool fan, and there are some good songs on there, but they went a little too retarded with some of the others.

Track number 8. Lost Keys, Track 7, is an introduction to it. Played together I am sure they are around 5 minutes, but it's well worth the listen.....

mikecobra95 is offline  
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Lifer
 
jims93lx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GP, TX
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
agreed!

if you want harmonizing, check out some old school Crosby, Stills, and Nash
Oh hell yeah..I know what you're talking about. That song by the Fugees, everytime I hear it, I just stop and crank it up...it just gets me, every freakin time, like no other song I have ever heard..
jims93lx is offline  
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Lifer
 
jims93lx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: GP, TX
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD
Damn, there are way too many songs to mention. It doesn't help my muscial tastes are all over the place too.

A few off of the top of my head:

Imagine - John Lennon
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zepplin
Yesterday- The Beatles
Along The Watch Tower
Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix
Ring Of Fire
Walk The Line
Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
Wanted Dead or Alive (live version) - Bon Jovi
Fade To Black
One
Sanatarium- Metallica
Sunday Bloody Sunday
One
New Years Day
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
With Or Without You - U2
Hotel California- Eagles
Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles

Anything from Depeche Mode.
That has got to me my favorite U2 song...
jims93lx is offline  
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Pitchin and flippin
 
slow55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Right here.
Posts: 5,552
slow55 is offline  
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I voted for McCain!!
 
Somewhere in Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Balls Deep
Posts: 3,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot To Kill
you ever listen to anything new?

as in Between the Buried and Me?

incredible guitarists.
I listen to lots of new stuff. Nothing moves me like the old shit for some reason though. I'll check those guys out.
Somewhere in Time is offline  
post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Gunga galunga
 
jakesford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pimpin the West Side!! (Benbrook)
Posts: 7,544
10,000 days took awhile for me... after the 3rd time through the album it hit me how great it is, just part of the evolving sound of tool. "Wings pt. 2 (track 4)", and "Rosetta Stoned" are both great.

One of my favorite Maynard creations is "APC - The Noose"

"Apres moi le deluge"


jakesford is offline  
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 04:06 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 45
i was gonna say that it has to be anything by TOOL.
CYLHEAD8 is offline  
post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 06:07 PM
DFWS
 
scootro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: none of your fuckin business
Posts: 6,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot To Kill
" hey john, what's your name agian " - The devil Wears Prada

" Ants of the Sky " - Between the Buried and Me

and many many more.





oh yeah, thread move in 3.....2.....1....
New Wave of American Heavy Metal... i just can't listen to it!!!! the talent is there, but i'm just not hearing anything i like

Keepin' The Old School Alive
scootro is offline  
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Grass Snake
 
terminator03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: out yander
Posts: 8,820
tool lateralus

Oxford white 03 cobra aka Grass Snake
terminator03 is offline  
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 10:34 PM
$uper $low
 
Magnus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Plano
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat
crank that soulja boy
Man, its always good to have a joker in the group.

Magnus is offline  
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: H-town, TX
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYLHEAD8
i was gonna say that it has to be anything by TOOL.
i cant stop listening to jambi and the pot. damn good jams

Thunderchicken is offline  
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM
May the Force be w/you
 
chuckacosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: El Paso, Tx
Posts: 3,128
Smashing Pumpkins - Drown
DMB - Crush

Too many others though...
chuckacosta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome