Shark Week - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Wolverines!!!
 
SlowLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 1st Civ Div
Posts: 9,261
Exclamation Shark Week

So I was watching a show about sharks or something on the discovery chnl and you can tell alot of these people have a real passion for what they do in life. That got me thinking how many of you are passionate and really enjoy your career as opposed to finding something you're good at or pays well...?
SlowLX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
I found something I kinda liked at a company, which turned out, is a shitty company. Now, I'm at a company that pays really nicely, great benefits, but I'm still doing something I kinda like, and there's no stability. So, I'm currently in the CFA program and starting my MBA next Fall.
slow99 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE
 
Strychnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Putting the sensual in nonconsensual since 1984
Posts: 12,482
I enjoy the shit out of what I do.

I grew up around cars, engines, etc. Some of my earliest memories are with my dad at car shows and in the garage.

I remember in middle school, while reading Car & Driver and Rod & Custom in class one day, when i decided that when I "grew up" I wanted to be an engineer in an automotive field.

And here I am... an engineer working with/on engines every day. While I may not work with automotive engines every day, I have learned that there is far cooler stuff out there in the industrial world
As much as I love a small block Chevy, there something about actually feeling a 50 liter, 2300 hp, 6300 ft-lb engine running continuous at WOT just inches away from you that really makes me appreciate my job.



.

Last edited by Stroked71Bowtie; 08-02-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Strychnine is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Sure Shot
 
97blkpny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: in the duck blind...
Posts: 3,353
My job pays extremely well but I don't care for it much. I am away from home constantly, which sucks because I am married and have an 8 month old boy. I am currently trying to save enough to start my own business, so I can work for myself and see the rewards of what I put into a job. Just scarred I will end up broke and working for "the man" again.

97blkpny is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Wolverines!!!
 
SlowLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: 1st Civ Div
Posts: 9,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97blkpny
My job pays extremely well but I don't care for it much. I am away from home constantly, which sucks because I am married and have an 8 month old boy. I am currently trying to save enough to start my own business, so I can work for myself and see the rewards of what I put into a job. Just scarred I will end up broke and working for "the man" again.
Well if you're already working for "the man" whats the worst that could happen you return to your highpaid, unliked, job after chasing ur dream?
SlowLX is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Sure Shot
 
97blkpny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: in the duck blind...
Posts: 3,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX
Well if you're already working for "the man" whats the worst that could happen you return to your highpaid, unliked, job after chasing ur dream?
Yeah I guess. Just would not want to at all. I absolutely hate changing jobs, and dont think I could go back after leaving - they would be "pissy." But I don't want to wake up in 5-10 years wishing I had at least tried my own business.

97blkpny is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:31 AM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!
 
SS Junk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: under my junk
Posts: 7,049
My job kicks all kinds of ass. I could never see doing anything else.

SS Junk is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:53 AM
PAN
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 20,154
I like what I do, though I'm not entirely satisfied.

More than anything I would like to be able to get my own, successful company, off the ground.
Fox466 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 07:48 AM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
I don't have passion for what I do. It pays very well for a guy like me with no college, but it just isn't something I get all excited about.

I'd take a HUGE paycut if it meant I could work in the wilderness somewhere. A park ranger in Denali or Yellowstone or something like that would be right up my alley.

In fact, I would love to sell everything I own besides the bare essentials and move up to Colorado somewhere in a smallish town near the mountains (like Gunnison, for example). I'd gladly live in a trailer, drive a beater, and work at Walmart or somewhere similar just to be closer to what I enjoy during my free time. The only thing keeping me here, really, is my girlfriend, who refuses to go up there to live. That, and the logistics of it all. Finding out exactly where to live and work and how to get started.
jluv is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 AM
JPS
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,401
I am very passionate about my "job". It's not really a job, it's the way I live my life in general. I was born to be a teacher and that's what I am...not what I do. As for the money...that's what my husband is for!
JPS is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
I don't like my job..

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:22 PM
GE
Lifer
 
GE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 32,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
I found something I kinda liked at a company, which turned out, is a shitty company. Now, I'm at a company that pays really nicely, great benefits, but I'm still doing something I kinda like, and there's no stability. So, I'm currently in the CFA program and starting my MBA next Fall.
Moving to Austin?
GE is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Crackalack!
 
Doug Hatton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Rockin' the Mic! LMAO!
Posts: 7,663
I'll GIVE you a beater car to drive up there as long as you drop off the GF at my place on your way out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I don't have passion for what I do. It pays very well for a guy like me with no college, but it just isn't something I get all excited about.

I'd take a HUGE paycut if it meant I could work in the wilderness somewhere. A park ranger in Denali or Yellowstone or something like that would be right up my alley.

In fact, I would love to sell everything I own besides the bare essentials and move up to Colorado somewhere in a smallish town near the mountains (like Gunnison, for example). I'd gladly live in a trailer, drive a beater, and work at Walmart or somewhere similar just to be closer to what I enjoy during my free time. The only thing keeping me here, really, is my girlfriend, who refuses to go up there to live. That, and the logistics of it all. Finding out exactly where to live and work and how to get started.
Doug Hatton is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:30 PM
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hatton
I'll GIVE you a beater car to drive up there as long as you drop off the GF at my place on your way out!
It may come to that one day. You only live once.
jluv is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE
Moving to Austin?
I hope to, or Raleigh-Durham, or Chicago. I'm already accepted at SMU, so it will at least be there worst-case scenario.
slow99 is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I'd take a HUGE paycut if it meant I could work in the wilderness somewhere. A park ranger in Denali or Yellowstone or something like that would be right up my alley.

In fact, I would love to sell everything I own besides the bare essentials and move up to Colorado somewhere in a smallish town near the mountains (like Gunnison, for example). I'd gladly live in a trailer, drive a beater, and work at Walmart or somewhere similar just to be closer to what I enjoy during my free time. The only thing keeping me here, really, is my girlfriend, who refuses to go up there to live. That, and the logistics of it all. Finding out exactly where to live and work and how to get started.
I totally see your point, I just couldn't ever do it. I know I'd probably be much happier and live much longer, though. Gotta respect an outlook like that.
slow99 is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
Lmao! Why the hell was this thread moved, do mods even read anything but the titles before moving?
slow99 is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:30 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE
 
Strychnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Putting the sensual in nonconsensual since 1984
Posts: 12,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Lmao! Why the hell was this thread moved, do mods even read anything but the titles before moving?
I doubt it.
Strychnine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome