Shark Week - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Wolverines!!!

Exclamation Shark Week

So I was watching a show about sharks or something on the discovery chnl and you can tell alot of these people have a real passion for what they do in life. That got me thinking how many of you are passionate and really enjoy your career as opposed to finding something you're good at or pays well...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Genetically Blessed

I found something I kinda liked at a company, which turned out, is a shitty company. Now, I'm at a company that pays really nicely, great benefits, but I'm still doing something I kinda like, and there's no stability. So, I'm currently in the CFA program and starting my MBA next Fall.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

I enjoy the shit out of what I do.

I grew up around cars, engines, etc. Some of my earliest memories are with my dad at car shows and in the garage.

I remember in middle school, while reading Car & Driver and Rod & Custom in class one day, when i decided that when I "grew up" I wanted to be an engineer in an automotive field.

And here I am... an engineer working with/on engines every day. While I may not work with automotive engines every day, I have learned that there is far cooler stuff out there in the industrial world
As much as I love a small block Chevy, there something about actually feeling a 50 liter, 2300 hp, 6300 ft-lb engine running continuous at WOT just inches away from you that really makes me appreciate my job.

Last edited by Stroked71Bowtie; 08-02-2007 at 11:34 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Sure Shot

My job pays extremely well but I don't care for it much. I am away from home constantly, which sucks because I am married and have an 8 month old boy. I am currently trying to save enough to start my own business, so I can work for myself and see the rewards of what I put into a job. Just scarred I will end up broke and working for "the man" again.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Wolverines!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97blkpny
My job pays extremely well but I don't care for it much. I am away from home constantly, which sucks because I am married and have an 8 month old boy. I am currently trying to save enough to start my own business, so I can work for myself and see the rewards of what I put into a job. Just scarred I will end up broke and working for "the man" again.
Well if you're already working for "the man" whats the worst that could happen you return to your highpaid, unliked, job after chasing ur dream?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Sure Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLX
Well if you're already working for "the man" whats the worst that could happen you return to your highpaid, unliked, job after chasing ur dream?
Yeah I guess. Just would not want to at all. I absolutely hate changing jobs, and dont think I could go back after leaving - they would be "pissy." But I don't want to wake up in 5-10 years wishing I had at least tried my own business.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:31 AM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

My job kicks all kinds of ass. I could never see doing anything else.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 05:53 AM
PAN

I like what I do, though I'm not entirely satisfied.

More than anything I would like to be able to get my own, successful company, off the ground.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 07:48 AM
yes, jluv

I don't have passion for what I do. It pays very well for a guy like me with no college, but it just isn't something I get all excited about.

I'd take a HUGE paycut if it meant I could work in the wilderness somewhere. A park ranger in Denali or Yellowstone or something like that would be right up my alley.

In fact, I would love to sell everything I own besides the bare essentials and move up to Colorado somewhere in a smallish town near the mountains (like Gunnison, for example). I'd gladly live in a trailer, drive a beater, and work at Walmart or somewhere similar just to be closer to what I enjoy during my free time. The only thing keeping me here, really, is my girlfriend, who refuses to go up there to live. That, and the logistics of it all. Finding out exactly where to live and work and how to get started.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:34 AM
JPS

I am very passionate about my "job". It's not really a job, it's the way I live my life in general. I was born to be a teacher and that's what I am...not what I do. As for the money...that's what my husband is for!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

I don't like my job..

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:22 PM
GE
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
I found something I kinda liked at a company, which turned out, is a shitty company. Now, I'm at a company that pays really nicely, great benefits, but I'm still doing something I kinda like, and there's no stability. So, I'm currently in the CFA program and starting my MBA next Fall.
Moving to Austin?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Crackalack!

I'll GIVE you a beater car to drive up there as long as you drop off the GF at my place on your way out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv
I don't have passion for what I do. It pays very well for a guy like me with no college, but it just isn't something I get all excited about.

I'd take a HUGE paycut if it meant I could work in the wilderness somewhere. A park ranger in Denali or Yellowstone or something like that would be right up my alley.

In fact, I would love to sell everything I own besides the bare essentials and move up to Colorado somewhere in a smallish town near the mountains (like Gunnison, for example). I'd gladly live in a trailer, drive a beater, and work at Walmart or somewhere similar just to be closer to what I enjoy during my free time. The only thing keeping me here, really, is my girlfriend, who refuses to go up there to live. That, and the logistics of it all. Finding out exactly where to live and work and how to get started.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:30 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hatton
I'll GIVE you a beater car to drive up there as long as you drop off the GF at my place on your way out!
It may come to that one day. You only live once.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE
Moving to Austin?
I hope to, or Raleigh-Durham, or Chicago. I'm already accepted at SMU, so it will at least be there worst-case scenario.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluv

I totally see your point, I just couldn't ever do it. I know I'd probably be much happier and live much longer, though. Gotta respect an outlook like that.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Genetically Blessed

Lmao! Why the hell was this thread moved, do mods even read anything but the titles before moving?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:30 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99
Lmao! Why the hell was this thread moved, do mods even read anything but the titles before moving?
I doubt it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement