Man vs. Wild is a sham - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Texan

Man vs. Wild is a sham

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/te...30070409990001

cliff notes: he stayed in a motel more than once while shooting an episode.

looks like survivorman really is the best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Lifer

I wouldn't call it a sham without further information of said allegations. I still like the show either way.

"The problem with doing nothing is you never know when your finished."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Vikings are next!

I really don't care..

02 GT
X-pipe and flows

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Is that a Fobra?

What he uses hotels like anyone that travels? Who would have guessed....

1994 Mustang Cobra Black
1995 Mustang Cobra Rio Red *RIP*
1999 Ford Ranger
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 05:54 PM
yes, jluv

Not surprising. The shows are what, an hour? So with commercials, think of the actual footage we get to see of his adventures. What does he do the rest of the time? He has a camera crew/producers with him the whole time. Do you think those guys eat bugs? Do you think for half a second that when he can only find a tiny spot under the rocks for shelter, that they stayed there or had to go find their own? Do you think they are really even that far away from wherever those guys are staying? Do they only have a pocket knife and 1 match, too? Are they jumping into the freezing river and crawling down the face of cliffs with cameras in hand?

I have always figured that he has full access to food, water, shelter, equipment, clothing, lighters/matches, transportation, communication (cell phone and laptop), and other modern luxuries. It's a drama. It's entertainment. He's an actor. To his credit, he does a decent amount of physical activity, and we've all seen him eat some crazy shit. Some of what he shows us is interesting, useful, and good learning. But overall it's just television.

I mean come on, the dude is always upbeat and talkative. He almost has a gameshow host quality about him. Survivorman, now that dude is awesome. I totally buy the fact that he's on his own in remote areas. He's grumpy and less than articulate at least half the time. No smoke and mirrors, just a dude trying not to die for a week. No matter how much the guy from Man vs. Wild tries to stick to the survival routine, he is never really in any kind of real danger or even truly deprived of anything he needs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 06:42 PM
Time Served

Its too polished to keep my interest. One of the first episodes i saw him jump in to a rushing river. You could see the life jacket outline under his hoodie. Then he climbed out of the water all skinny and shivering, while lecturing about hypothermia. He slightly redeemed himself by explaining how to regain body heat. By burying fire heated rocks in sand and laying on them. Cut to a few hours later and hes completely dry. I called bs right there. There is some hardcore survivor information in the show and that is important.
I still like survivorman better. Because its more of this is how i survived. Man vs Wild is more of the this is how to survive.........after doing dumb things like jumping in to a 40deg river

"It's very dangerous to wave to people you don't know. Because what if they don't have hands? They'll think you're cocky."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Time Served

Survivor man is the shit. I learned you can use Fritos as a candle! Yeah man.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Lifer

Whatever. Bear Grylls is sexy.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

There's too much jumping in icy rivers/sliding down snow banks/digging around in mud and then showing up dry in the next scene.

Obviously, if the terrain is so damn impossible, how did the camera crew get there with a full load of equipment and get set up in a spot to film him?

It's entertaining to watch but I never completely bought it as honest-injun survival.

Plus, he says that breathless "ughh" too much, which is kind of annoying! I've got to ughh slide down this ughh rope, made of ughh leach-infested ughh cow's intestine.

DFWMustangs.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement