Inwood showed Pink Floyd's The Wall tonight... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Inwood showed Pink Floyd's The Wall tonight...

It's been a few months since I've seen it, and it was even better in a theatre. Definitely one of my favorite movies, definitely way ahead of it's time, and definitely one of the most confusing movies I've ever seen. Each time I watch it I understand more though (or maybe I'm just less confused). Anyone else really really like this movie?

The Inwood Theatre itself was pretty cool. Apparently they do these midnight showings of random films every friday night, saw it in the paper this morning and decided to go.

And at the Dallas Art Festival today, saw a great band play. They're called 440 Alliance, and basically what it is is Cello rock. They played a lot of covers (The Walrus, Stairway, Black Hole Sun, Mario Bros. theme song, and the Immigrant song to name a few), but had some really cool original. The band itself consisted of 4 cello players and a drummer/pianist/general instrument guy. One of the celloists also did the dj turntables (nifty) and another played piano on The Walrus. One of the guys (lead) actually had his cello plugged in through a Line 6 pod, and he got some insane tones out of it, and you can hardly tell it's not a guitar on the CD. Definitely reccomend you listen to these guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 PM
I gots famous friends

If you want to see some very, very cool Pink Floyd, go out and buy Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii. It's from 1973, shot in a deserted ampitheater in Pompeii. It was post Sid Barrett, but they were gearing up for a world tour, and were practicing their live sets in the ampitheater.

It has an absolutely stunningly erie feel to it, very psychedelic. The talent they possessed back then, and their ability to use highly advanced equipment to complement their sound was amazing.

To see them in their very early years, watching them do the things they did back then..... surely every person that saw them do their shows during that era came away knowing they had seem something truly life changing.

I highly encourage you and everyone else to go out and get a copy of it, put it on an awesome home theater setup, turn your phone off and watch it in its entirety.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
I gots famous friends

And by the way, after they lost Sid, almost every song on every album for years was written about him... and of course The Wall was entirely about him.

The band went on to enjoy great success, but without their mate Sid. They were very broken up about having grown up together, formed a band, and then one day their founder was suddenly not himself ever again due to massive amounts of LSD intake.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 09:37 PM
NES Crew

I just spent the last 20 mins. watching Pink Floyd videos after doing a search for "pink floyd Pompeii" on youtube. There is some good shit on there.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LXHORSE
And by the way, after they lost Sid, almost every song on every album for years was written about him... and of course The Wall was entirely about him.

The band went on to enjoy great success, but without their mate Sid. They were very broken up about having grown up together, formed a band, and then one day their founder was suddenly not himself ever again due to massive amounts of LSD intake.
It really was a shame about sid barrett though...whole Wish You Were Here album was dedicated to him. He got screwed up. Bad. But it did make for great music.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 PM
I gots famous friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangol
I just spent the last 20 mins. watching Pink Floyd videos after doing a search for "pink floyd Pompeii" on youtube. There is some good shit on there.

Yep, check out the Echos video, that's from the Pompeii film...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 09:48 PM
I gots famous friends

Hear ya go, Saucerful of Secrets.... watch it all the way through......

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LXHORSE
Hear ya go, Saucerful of Secrets.... watch it all the way through......

Damn, that song that starts at 5:25 there is MESMERIZING.

Now where's my dope..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement