why did top gear get cancelled for the USA? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
you cant see me

why did top gear get cancelled for the USA?

its one of their biggest shows overseas, and they even have a top gear magazine out now too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurama
its one of their biggest shows overseas, and they even have a top gear magazine out now too.
I don't know... I would rather see it canceled than them try to "alter" it for american TV.

Maybe his anit-american (car) sentiment was the problem

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned

Clarkson is a douche. One episode he threw a gt500 on a dyno and it made like 460 rwhp and he was like "Ford advertises 500 brake horserpower, but as you can see the car only makes 460."

That shit made me lose all respect for the show.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 08:16 PM
The Janitor

clarkson in general is fiercely anti-american in his other editorial articles he does outside of cars.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Lifer

Fuck Clarkson. The other guy is pretty decent though, the younger guy.

If you notice anyways on practically every show he holds the European cars as the bar. If its not European, its crap.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR
Clarkson is a douche. One episode he threw a gt500 on a dyno and it made like 460 rwhp and he was like "Ford advertises 500 brake horserpower, but as you can see the car only makes 460."

That shit made me lose all respect for the show.
that wasn't clarkson, that was hammond. and i was outraged as well.

clarkson liked american cars, but the rest of the crew didn't really.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Yes.....its a V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD06
Fuck Clarkson. The other guy is pretty decent though, the younger guy.

If you notice anyways on practically every show he holds the European cars as the bar. If its not European, its crap.
Hamster, he's funny!

These are the demands and sayings of Duncan.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
you cant see me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesford
I don't know... I would rather see it canceled than them try to "alter" it for american TV.

Maybe his anit-american (car) sentiment was the problem
why would they need to alter it? why not play it as is.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Time Served

Everyone here hates the show because they use european cars as the bar. The shelby gt500 does advertise 500hp why not have 500whp? Clarkson tries to give american cars a chance but in the end they just don't come close to the bar.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aalvarez04
Everyone here hates the show because they use european cars as the bar. The shelby gt500 does advertise 500hp why not have 500whp? Clarkson tries to give american cars a chance but in the end they just don't come close to the bar.
500 is at the crank. 500 bhp and 500 whp are two very different things. it's the equivalent of mechanical drag when you send that power through the tranny, rear end, axles, and then tires, so you wind up with less at the wheels.

he tested it on a chassis dyno. it dyno'd at something like 460 rwhp, which puts it over (theoretically) 500 bhp, or at least right around it.

edit:
Quote:
Clarkson tries to give american cars a chance but in the end they just don't come close to the bar.
you're fucking retarded.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Lifer

Thumbs down

Quote:
I already said that, and Euro Cars are not the bar. If anything the Japanese cars are the bar for quality. Italian for performance. Even when testing Ferraris he has a chip on his shoulder. That guy is an assclown.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Time Served

Ass clown eh. lol. I've yet to see an american car that is a great car to drive everyday. Handling is one of my favorite traits however so that takes a lot of cars out. They all have flaws. Most of the time it's just cheaply made. I always find it sad when the first mustangs had better front suspensions than the ones today. You guys can say whatever you like to me but we both know Ford and every american company cheaps out on their cars somewhere. it may be the machperson strut setup or the solid axle or something somewhere else. The new z06 is a great car...on the track but for that price tag i'd expect more than a leafspring back there and for the car to ride good.

Last edited by aalvarez04; 04-14-2007 at 12:47 PM.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ass clown eh. lol. I've yet to see an american car that is a great car to drive everyday. Handling is one of my favorite traits however so that takes a lot of cars out. They all have flaws. Most of the time it's just cheaply made. I always find it sad when the first mustangs had better front suspensions than the ones today. You guys can say whatever you like to me but we both know Ford and every american company cheaps out on their cars somewhere. it may be the machperson strut setup or the solid axle or something somewhere else. The new z06 is a great car...on the track but for that price tag i'd expect more than a leafspring back there and for the car to ride good.
I was calling CLARKSON an "Assclown" btw. And Im not comparing the American Cars to the European cars. I was saying every car they compare and do tests on including the LAND ROVER which are pieces of shit get high reviews just because they are European. They could compare them to a Japanese, Italian, American, etc counterpart and they would still down it and have the highest things to say about the European model. Its fucking stupid.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:54 PM
Time Served

O i do agree on that part. they do mess up from time to time. I don't see why they tested the landrover against the escalade etc. Also when they tested the "mustang gt" they drove a v6 around the test track and said 300horsepower loses to 1 horse power. They do get their things screwed up and i do see why car owners would get mad. I guess since my car got good reviews i overlook other cars. ::insert feels like an idiot smiley here::

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Lifer

For instance I saw one show where they tested a Ferrari and some other cars. The Ferrari was too stiff and was hard to shift and wasnt comfortable I think he said. Well no shit?? Its not a grocery getter. Its a 275 thou street legal race car. Give me a break. If im not mistaken it was compared to an Aston Martin, which IMO isnt even close to being in the same league as a Ferrari.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Time Served

I do see what you mean how they favor them. The vette isn't a grocery getter either so why the double standards other than you just want a reason to hate it.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I do see what you mean how they favor them. The vette isn't a grocery getter either so why the double standards other than you just want a reason to hate it.
Who said I hated the Corvette???

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Time Served

O i'm talking about clarkson, hammond etc.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Lifer

Was this show ever regularly shown here in the US? I think that I saw it on Discovery Channel a few times, but nothing lately. I couldn't find any news about this. I did find out that the show is trying to come out with an American version with the same three guys that host the british version.
From the article:
"Top Gear could be U.S. bound with British hosts Posted Apr 9th 2007 12:32PM by Frank Filipponio

Is The Stig headed to the States? It appears that the wildly popular automotive TV show, Top Gear, could be heading to these shores (again). The BBC and The Sun newspaper have reported that there are again plans to do a Top Gear U.S. version, but this time with current hosts Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May. Previous attempts at doing an American Top Gear lost the magic when they tried to replicate the show with different presenters. Although airing the current UK show on Discovery has made some fans happy, getting the lads to cover more American cars and feature more American celebs will probably draw an even bigger American audience. To that end it is said that the U.S. show will be just like the UK version, but will include more American cars, and U.S. stars doing their darndest to beat The Stig.

The deal hasn't been confirmed by BBC Worldwide, but there have apparently been talks. Top Gear, in case you don't know, is an international Emmy winner, which recently wrapped its most recent season with 8 million viewers tuning in for the finale. They have also been in the news for the horrific jet car crash and remarkable recovery of presenter Richard Hammond. The show's next UK season will begin airing in the fall.

A new U.S. version sounds intriguing. We say bring it on. Maybe if they're forced to drive more American cars on American roads in American driving conditions, they'll start to understand why their current negative impressions don't hold water on this side of the pond. I already have my "I'm the Stig's fat American cousin" T-shirt to welcome them to these shores. What do you think of a possible Top Gear U.S. edition?

Thanks for the tip, JayP!
[Source: BBC]"

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/09/t...british-hosts/
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:17 PM
Yes.....its a V6.

Clarkson may leave Top Gear....

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle1499832.ece

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Yes.....its a V6.

Thought this was funny too, hes pretty good at pissing people off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6528087.stm

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 01:23 PM
Yes.....its a V6.

One of the better shows. "EAT LEAD!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejd6HFO-kps

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:05 AM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly
you mean like this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+mustang&hl=en

why on earth would people want to watch that in America? True or not....
it really is absolutely "spot on" as far as a review of the new mustang.

I like the show, its not about 0-60, and braking distances... Its more about a some guys breaking shit, and talking about what they like and dislike. It just so happens they don't like a lot of american cars. Unfortunently some of it is really true. One thing clarkson mentions is how american cars have been designed to be "thrown away" like all the other consumer products made. We live in a throw away society, and thats not always a good thing...

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 06:43 AM
aka onlya302

Cause we are a bunch of wankers.

Chris Johnson

85 Wagen sold
93 Car
01 Truck (now turbocharged, but soon to be TWIN Turbo!)
03 s2k
www.yonsonracing.com
www.southernspeedracing.com

Speed is my drug, there is NO cure!!!

NEXTEL/SPRINT SUCKS!!!
FORD SUCKS!!!
The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later. SUCKS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement