New Bands - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 427
New Bands

I am looking for something new to listen to. I am into a lot of rock and alternative. Ive got alot of music, just looking for some new stuff to try out.

PaintitBlack95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
i'm not much of one for any kind of new music, but my "newer" favorites are:

guster, g.love and the special sauce, robert randolph and the family band, and that's pretty much it.

and if you haven't already discovered them (i don't know how you can live in dallas and not), the toadies are an excellent choice. (my personal favorite).

edit: you live in okla., so maybe you haven't discovered the toadies.

Slowhand is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsretiredathlete
i'm not much of one for any kind of new music, but my "newer" favorites are:

guster, g.love and the special sauce, robert randolph and the family band, and that's pretty much it.

and if you haven't already discovered them (i don't know how you can live in dallas and not), the toadies are an excellent choice. (my personal favorite).

edit: you live in okla., so maybe you haven't discovered the toadies.
Oh I know all about the toadies haha, one of my favs. I am originally from texas

PaintitBlack95 is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintitBlack95
Oh I know all about the toadies haha, one of my favs. I am originally from texas
Alright, just makin' sure you weren't missing out.

Slowhand is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:34 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Check out a band called Beauty Pill. They're on the Dischord label run by Ian McKaye and Jeff Nelson. They're quite good.

Geor! is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Check out a band called Beauty Pill. They're on the Dischord label run by Ian McKaye and Jeff Nelson. They're quite good.
Ill do that, thanks

PaintitBlack95 is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Lifer
 
Marisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tarrant
Posts: 10,319
(Just my thoughts form reading this thread: g. love and special sauce are not new - their self titled album was released in 1994... and Toadies are not a DFW secret)

Check out Silversun Pickups! I think they're getting some airplay on the radio. I can't get them outta my head.
Marisa is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Sure Shot
 
97blkpny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: in the duck blind...
Posts: 3,353
Yeah G-Love and Toadies are both "older" but the guy who mentioned them was just saying "newer" to him I think.

97blkpny is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:11 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,816
Oh man.

Look for Pedro the Lion or Headphones. Those are both projects of David Bazan (Genius).

ARCADE FIRE (seriously find them NOW). Flaming Lips. Death Cab for Cutie. Godspeed You Black Emperor. Iron & Wine. Sufjan Stevens. Mono (make sure it's Mono from Japan. There's also some techno band called Mono). Sigur Rós. The Postal Service. TV on the Radio. Built to Spill (mostly their album "Keep it Like a Secret"). Explosions in the Sky. Grandaddy. Modest Mouse. Múm. Pinback. The Polyphonic Spree. Radiohead (if you haven't already started). John Vanderslice.

This is, of course, assuming you're looking for something a bit different. Some is traditional alt-rock. But some is off-beat.
gpamp is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpamp
Oh man.

Look for Pedro the Lion or Headphones. Those are both projects of David Bazan (Genius).

ARCADE FIRE (seriously find them NOW). Flaming Lips. Death Cab for Cutie. Godspeed You Black Emperor. Iron & Wine. Sufjan Stevens. Mono (make sure it's Mono from Japan. There's also some techno band called Mono). Sigur Rós. The Postal Service. TV on the Radio. Built to Spill (mostly their album "Keep it Like a Secret"). Explosions in the Sky. Grandaddy. Modest Mouse. Múm. Pinback. The Polyphonic Spree. Radiohead (if you haven't already started). John Vanderslice.

This is, of course, assuming you're looking for something a bit different. Some is traditional alt-rock. But some is off-beat.
I am a huge fan of the non-trad. Radiohead, postal service, havent heard of to many of the others, ill give them a try thanks!

PaintitBlack95 is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
(Just my thoughts form reading this thread: g. love and special sauce are not new - their self titled album was released in 1994... and Toadies are not a DFW secret)

Check out Silversun Pickups! I think they're getting some airplay on the radio. I can't get them outta my head.
Doesnt really have to be new music, just looking for bands I have overlooked or ones that fly under the radar but are good

PaintitBlack95 is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 12:09 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,816
gpamp is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 01:54 AM
Sure Shot
 
97blkpny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: in the duck blind...
Posts: 3,353
Flaming Lips are great! They have been around for a while too. I saw them twice at Trees, amazing live shows, always something different.

97blkpny is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm not Lucky, I'm Good
 
SouthernSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Day-dreaming
Posts: 3,600
Overscene - rock (My favorite local band)
Bless the Broken - emo/rock (don't let the emo fool you, very good band)
Neverset - rap/rock (more rock than rap, Linkin Parkish but better)
Opus Flux - Indie/rock (softer, lots of depth to em)
Lame - hard rock (very origional)
Anew Revolution - hard rock (just heard them for the 1st time the other day, they sounded awsome from what I heard)
Haste the Day - Heavy Metal (new CD is not as heavy as the older two)
From Autumn to Ashes - Screamo/alternative/heavy metal (very talented, have songs in various genres of music)

05 Dodge Ram 4x4
06 Yamaha R6

Never outrun your guardian angel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Have someone fuck you in the ass and another take your bike. See which one you hate more.
SouthernSVT is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:09 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintitBlack95
I am a huge fan of the non-trad. Radiohead, postal service, havent heard of to many of the others, ill give them a try thanks!
Out of his list, I highly recommend Arcade Fire, Iron & Wine, Mono, Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky. Also, there is a band out of Australia called Powderfinger who are pretty good as well. Then there's IV Thieves. Oh shit, how could I forget Wintersleep? What about Ken Andrews and Failure or Year of the Rabbit? This is why I only listed one band earlier, because I could just keep going and going and going...

Geor! is offline  
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:32 AM
I'm not Lucky, I'm Good
 
SouthernSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Day-dreaming
Posts: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Out of his list, I highly recommend Arcade Fire, Iron & Wine, Mono, Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky. Also, there is a band out of Australia called Powderfinger who are pretty good as well. Then there's IV Thieves. Oh shit, how could I forget Wintersleep? What about Ken Andrews and Failure or Year of the Rabbit? This is why I only listed one band earlier, because I could just keep going and going and going...
...you can talk as long as you want, now that you got rid of that damn Oilers avatar.

05 Dodge Ram 4x4
06 Yamaha R6

Never outrun your guardian angel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Have someone fuck you in the ass and another take your bike. See which one you hate more.
SouthernSVT is offline  
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Out of his list, I highly recommend Arcade Fire, Iron & Wine, Mono, Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky. Also, there is a band out of Australia called Powderfinger who are pretty good as well. Then there's IV Thieves. Oh shit, how could I forget Wintersleep? What about Ken Andrews and Failure or Year of the Rabbit? This is why I only listed one band earlier, because I could just keep going and going and going...

Haha yeah, I pretty much got sick of all the mainstream shit and i'm looking for something a little different, so far these bands are all great. I really like Iron & Wine and Arcade Fire, I will definitly try some of these others out

Is Sigur Ros a foreign band?

PaintitBlack95 is offline  
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:42 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSVT
...you can talk as long as you want, now that you got rid of that damn Oilers avatar.
5 cups to 1. I'm just sayin...

Geor! is offline  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:08 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintitBlack95
Haha yeah, I pretty much got sick of all the mainstream shit and i'm looking for something a little different, so far these bands are all great. I really like Iron & Wine and Arcade Fire, I will definitly try some of these others out

Is Sigur Ros a foreign band?
Yes. They're from Iceland. However, some of their songs, and one entire album... the one entitled ( )... has no language. It's a made up language they call "Hopelandic" or something like that. It's just really pretty music in the vein of Pink Floyd. They recorded their albums in a studio that was build from a huge pool. Hence the cool echoes.
gpamp is offline  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Shredder
 
notchnate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lake Worth
Posts: 1,107
as cities burn, circa survive, coheed and cambria, emery, thursday, thrice, saosin, copeland, mae, beloved, brand new, he is legend, maylene and the sons of disaster, me without you,

theres some good local music out there to heres the link to my bands myspace if you want to check it out I wouldnt really call it good its just alot of fun
www.myspace.com/forevermidnightsun
look through our friends, all of the top friends are local bands

notchnate is offline  
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pilot Point
Posts: 607
Alexisonfire - Crisis
Finger Eleven - Them vs. Me vs. You
Diecast - Internal Revolution
Unloco - Becoming i

2004 GT: MAC CAI, BBK shorty headers, BBK o/r x pipe, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, B&M Hammer shifter, 3.73 gears, UPR rear upper and lower CA's, Trickflow 75mm TB and plenum, SCT XCal 2 programmer


<a href="http://profile.mygamercard.net/DeddRekoning">
<img src="http://card.mygamercard.net/cylinder/DeddRekoning.png" border=0>
</a>
PPStangman is offline  
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 04:30 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE
 
Strychnine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Putting the sensual in nonconsensual since 1984
Posts: 12,482
Clutch
Kings of Leon
ASG
The Shins
Team Sleep
My Morning Jacket
Richard Buckner
Ours
Reverend Horton Heat
Sonic Youth


I know some of those aren't the newest thing, but they're still good.
Strychnine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome