DFW Mustang Forums banner

New Bands

737 views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Strychnine 
#1 ·
I am looking for something new to listen to. I am into a lot of rock and alternative. Ive got alot of music, just looking for some new stuff to try out.

#2 ·
i'm not much of one for any kind of new music, but my "newer" favorites are:

guster, g.love and the special sauce, robert randolph and the family band, and that's pretty much it.

and if you haven't already discovered them (i don't know how you can live in dallas and not), the toadies are an excellent choice. (my personal favorite).

edit: you live in okla., so maybe you haven't discovered the toadies.

#3 ·
chsretiredathlete said:
i'm not much of one for any kind of new music, but my "newer" favorites are:

guster, g.love and the special sauce, robert randolph and the family band, and that's pretty much it.

and if you haven't already discovered them (i don't know how you can live in dallas and not), the toadies are an excellent choice. (my personal favorite).

edit: you live in okla., so maybe you haven't discovered the toadies.
Oh I know all about the toadies haha, one of my favs. I am originally from texas

#4 ·
PaintitBlack95 said:
Oh I know all about the toadies haha, one of my favs. I am originally from texas
Alright, just makin' sure you weren't missing out. :cool:

#5 ·
Check out a band called Beauty Pill. They're on the Dischord label run by Ian McKaye and Jeff Nelson. They're quite good.

#7 ·
(Just my thoughts form reading this thread: g. love and special sauce are not new - their self titled album was released in 1994... and Toadies are not a DFW secret)

Check out Silversun Pickups! I think they're getting some airplay on the radio. I can't get them outta my head.

#9 ·
Oh man.

Look for Pedro the Lion or Headphones. Those are both projects of David Bazan (Genius).

ARCADE FIRE (seriously find them NOW). Flaming Lips. Death Cab for Cutie. Godspeed You Black Emperor. Iron & Wine. Sufjan Stevens. Mono (make sure it's Mono from Japan. There's also some techno band called Mono). Sigur Rós. The Postal Service. TV on the Radio. Built to Spill (mostly their album "Keep it Like a Secret"). Explosions in the Sky. Grandaddy. Modest Mouse. Múm. Pinback. The Polyphonic Spree. Radiohead (if you haven't already started). John Vanderslice.

This is, of course, assuming you're looking for something a bit different. Some is traditional alt-rock. But some is off-beat.

#10 ·
gpamp said:
Oh man.

Look for Pedro the Lion or Headphones. Those are both projects of David Bazan (Genius).

ARCADE FIRE (seriously find them NOW). Flaming Lips. Death Cab for Cutie. Godspeed You Black Emperor. Iron & Wine. Sufjan Stevens. Mono (make sure it's Mono from Japan. There's also some techno band called Mono). Sigur Rós. The Postal Service. TV on the Radio. Built to Spill (mostly their album "Keep it Like a Secret"). Explosions in the Sky. Grandaddy. Modest Mouse. Múm. Pinback. The Polyphonic Spree. Radiohead (if you haven't already started). John Vanderslice.

This is, of course, assuming you're looking for something a bit different. Some is traditional alt-rock. But some is off-beat.
I am a huge fan of the non-trad. Radiohead, postal service, havent heard of to many of the others, ill give them a try thanks!

#11 ·
Marisa said:
(Just my thoughts form reading this thread: g. love and special sauce are not new - their self titled album was released in 1994... and Toadies are not a DFW secret)

Check out Silversun Pickups! I think they're getting some airplay on the radio. I can't get them outta my head.
Doesnt really have to be new music, just looking for bands I have overlooked or ones that fly under the radar but are good

#14 ·
Overscene - rock (My favorite local band)
Bless the Broken - emo/rock (don't let the emo fool you, very good band)
Neverset - rap/rock (more rock than rap, Linkin Parkish but better)
Opus Flux - Indie/rock (softer, lots of depth to em)
Lame - hard rock (very origional)
Anew Revolution - hard rock (just heard them for the 1st time the other day, they sounded awsome from what I heard)
Haste the Day - Heavy Metal (new CD is not as heavy as the older two)
From Autumn to Ashes - Screamo/alternative/heavy metal (very talented, have songs in various genres of music)

#15 ·
PaintitBlack95 said:
I am a huge fan of the non-trad. Radiohead, postal service, havent heard of to many of the others, ill give them a try thanks!
Out of his list, I highly recommend Arcade Fire, Iron & Wine, Mono, Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky. Also, there is a band out of Australia called Powderfinger who are pretty good as well. Then there's IV Thieves. Oh shit, how could I forget Wintersleep? What about Ken Andrews and Failure or Year of the Rabbit? This is why I only listed one band earlier, because I could just keep going and going and going...

#16 ·
Geof said:
Out of his list, I highly recommend Arcade Fire, Iron & Wine, Mono, Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky. Also, there is a band out of Australia called Powderfinger who are pretty good as well. Then there's IV Thieves. Oh shit, how could I forget Wintersleep? What about Ken Andrews and Failure or Year of the Rabbit? This is why I only listed one band earlier, because I could just keep going and going and going...
...you can talk as long as you want, now that you got rid of that damn Oilers avatar.

#17 ·
Geof said:

Haha yeah, I pretty much got sick of all the mainstream shit and i'm looking for something a little different, so far these bands are all great. I really like Iron & Wine and Arcade Fire, I will definitly try some of these others out

Is Sigur Ros a foreign band?

#18 ·
SouthernSVT said:
...you can talk as long as you want, now that you got rid of that damn Oilers avatar.
5 cups to 1. I'm just sayin...

#19 ·
PaintitBlack95 said:
Haha yeah, I pretty much got sick of all the mainstream shit and i'm looking for something a little different, so far these bands are all great. I really like Iron & Wine and Arcade Fire, I will definitly try some of these others out

Is Sigur Ros a foreign band?
Yes. They're from Iceland. However, some of their songs, and one entire album... the one entitled ( )... has no language. It's a made up language they call "Hopelandic" or something like that. It's just really pretty music in the vein of Pink Floyd. They recorded their albums in a studio that was build from a huge pool. Hence the cool echoes.

#20 ·
as cities burn, circa survive, coheed and cambria, emery, thursday, thrice, saosin, copeland, mae, beloved, brand new, he is legend, maylene and the sons of disaster, me without you,

theres some good local music out there to heres the link to my bands myspace if you want to check it out I wouldnt really call it good its just alot of fun
www.myspace.com/forevermidnightsun
look through our friends, all of the top friends are local bands

#21 ·
Alexisonfire - Crisis
Finger Eleven - Them vs. Me vs. You
Diecast - Internal Revolution
Unloco - Becoming i

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.