First deer rifle? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

First deer rifle?

For someone wanting to get their first rifle (all I've ever owned were handguns and shotguns) what do you look for? I've been reading all over and it seems that the common suggestion is a larger caliber for someone less experienced since they will be less accurate and need to create a larger hole. I was looking at a .308 to start with since its a common round and relatively cheap. Any rifles to stay away from or look for in particular? Or even a different caliber instead of the .308?

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 02:01 PM
duh...duh....duh

We hunt with 30-06s, I've seen and know people who hunt with nearly every common caliber out there and if they place their shot right, it is dead.

Where you are hunting maybe important as well. I mean if you want to take long ass shots you may want to invest in a higher end rifle and a caliber that is prove to have a decent trajectory. All my hunting is 150-200 yards, more like 100 yards or less though usually.

Also a big lesson I learned recently is the scope is as important as the rifle - if not more important. Unless of course you're just going to use sights.

My '03 Sold.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
We hunt with 30-06s, I've seen and know people who hunt with nearly every common caliber out there and if they place their shot right, it is dead.

Where you are hunting maybe important as well. I mean if you want to take long ass shots you may want to invest in a higher end rifle and a caliber that is prove to have a decent trajectory. All my hunting is 150-200 yards, more like 100 yards or less though usually.

Also a big lesson I learned recently is the scope is as important as the rifle - if not more important. Unless of course you're just going to use sights.
I'll be out near Abilene, so anywhere from 100-150 probably where we will be set up at.

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Probably would help to say that I shoot left handed. Messing with a right-handed bolt sucks

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Pitchin and flippin

I'm a big fan of the 7mm wsm. Nice round that will reach out there and works on anything that lives in texas.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 02:31 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Have you ever shot a high caliber rifle? Recoil/reaction will play a huge factor in your accuracy.
The bigger the caliber for the less experienced hunters is the biggest crock of shit I have ever heard. I would suggest just the oposite. A well placed shot is better then a bigger hole. With a smaller caliber it is easier to learn and become a better shooter. I know a shit ton of folks still hunting with a .243.

I have been through every common hunting round and now shoot a 7mm-08. I suggest it to everyone I can. Me personally I think it is as close to perfect as it gets for Texas hunting. 25-06 is another awesome round.

For brand it all depends on how dedicated you are going to be.

I hunt about an hour southwest of Abilene, where about are you?
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 03:36 PM
Old school 4-eye'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
Have you ever shot a high caliber rifle? Recoil/reaction will play a huge factor in your accuracy.
The bigger the caliber for the less experienced hunters is the biggest crock of shit I have ever heard. I would suggest just the oposite. A well placed shot is better then a bigger hole. With a smaller caliber it is easier to learn and become a better shooter. I know a shit ton of folks still hunting with a .243I have been through every common hunting round and now shoot a 7mm-08. I suggest it to everyone I can. Me personally I think it is as close to perfect as it gets for Texas hunting. 25-06 is another awesome round.

This, I bought a Rem 700 in .243 as my first deer rifle, and found it to handle most anything in Texas with a good shot placement, and absolutely outstanding with varmits. I have had thoughts of upgrading and am only thinking about a 270.

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I would have to say a 270 if most of your hunting is less than 200 yards. Savage, winchester, Weatherby Vanguard, or a Remington Model 700. These are some good choices, just my .02
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
The bigger the caliber for the less experienced hunters is the biggest crock of shit I have ever heard. I would suggest just the oposite. A well placed shot is better then a bigger hole. With a smaller caliber it is easier to learn and become a better shooter. I know a shit ton of folks still hunting with a .243.

I have been through every common hunting round and now shoot a 7mm-08. I suggest it to everyone I can. Me personally I think it is as close to perfect as it gets for Texas hunting. 25-06 is another awesome round.

Albany, TX is where I'll be

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:36 PM
blank

My favorite deer rifle I've ever owned is my Browning A bolt 308 w/ a Leupold VX-lll and 180 grain Federal Premium. If I had to grab only one weapon out of my safe before I bugged out, it would be it. And the A bolt is cheap now since the X bolt came out.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 05:43 PM
blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket View Post
Albany, TX is where I'll be
Good deer out there. My uncle runs and is part co owner of a 10k acre ranch in Albany. I've seen some great bucks from his game cameras.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0LiterRiceEater View Post
Good deer out there. My uncle runs and is part co owner of a 10k acre ranch in Albany. I've seen some great bucks from his game cameras.
Whats his name? I might know him

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Factory Issue

I hate to sound like a broken record, but Savage makes some pretty good left-handed guns, in almost every flavor they make a righty, too.

Give me a dollar.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:13 AM
blank

Quote:
Whats his name? I might know him
Chris Hobbs
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0LiterRiceEater View Post
Chris Hobbs
Oh yea. That's a little outside of town towards stanford right? Small world

post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM
In the field

Another vote for a .243

Black on Black 02' Z28
Lowered on Black Z06 wheels

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Hunt James for President

and another vote for a .243

my son got a doe saturday and with that he is 4 shots 4 kills. and they didn't have to track them, they all dropped with heart/lung/spine shots. so if you are a good shot, a .243 is all you need.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Lifer

Winchester 30-30 all day long, I've had my lever action since god knows when, I still love it. They pack good punch power and can be had for pretty cheap.

Wanna see my care face?
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 PM
blank

Quote:
Oh yea. That's a little outside of town towards stanford right? Small world
Something like that. I havent been out there in years. I remeber once you leave payment it takes 20mins of dirt roads to reach his house. If you run across him and mention Carolyn's son, he'll know who you're taking about.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeski View Post
Winchester 30-30 all day long, I've had my lever action since god knows when, I still love it. They pack good punch power and can be had for pretty cheap.
x2

Lever action 30-30 is a great gun.

FUCK Canada
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Factory Issue

You seemed like a responsible cat when I met you, OP, so it may go without saying, but don't forget to practice every chance you get.

Give me a dollar.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 06:17 AM
Time Served

Being a lefty I went for a lever over bolt action when I was younger. Left handed bolts are easier to come by these days though.

I'd say shop around for deals, handle some rifles, and shorten your list. Then decide on caliber based on what the calibers the rifles you like can come chambered in, availability, and cost. I've killed deer with .45-70 down to .257 Roberts, even with an old 8mm Mauser I bought for $60 in between. They all do the job. The good thing about a larger caliber is the versatility to hunt larger game if the opportunity presents it's self. But, a smaller caliber will give you the excuse to buy another rifle if that opportunity presented it's self too.

Not mentioned, but Ruger makes some nice rifles also.

2000 Camaro SS
09 G8 GXP

Last edited by MARSS; 11-02-2010 at 06:24 AM.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSS View Post
They all do the job. The good thing about a larger caliber is the versatility to hunt larger game if the opportunity presents it's self.
To add on to this a bit, the main reason I hunt with a larger caliber (and based off my Dad's recommendation) is because black bear have a habit of sneaking up on you. (woods of PA) Now, 95% of the time if you're passive and slowly retreat...etc it is not an issue. However, a couple of times he had momma bears with cubs. Given all the activity and shooting in the woods the wildlife is already on edge, now be stuck within 100 yards of a momma bear with her cubs and it can be a nerve racking situation. His mentality is if he has to fire w/ a manual action rifle it should be a decent caliber cause you're going to be lucky to get that one shot off much less 2 or more. Thankfully that has not been tested.

So that's why I have the 30-06. He has it cause when he was 13 or so it was the cool thing to have amongst him and his friends so they all got one.

In regards to the 30-30 as well. My Dad's best friend has been hunting deer with a 30-30 forever (over 40 years) with open sights with good success too. Hell, 2 years ago I saw a guy dragging a small bear out with one slung over his shoulder.

Anyway, just some of my thought process on the larger caliber. For hunting it's all good really. hehe, I know one guy that went out hunting with us and brought a side arm with his rifle. That could be an option if you think it'll take down pissed off game.

My '03 Sold.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Dont Be Stupid

no one has said .223

It was my first and worked just fine, but the last time I went hunting I did move up to a 30-06

95 gt - Work in progress...306,TFS heads,Holley systemax II,--It's Alive..After 3 years

2000 S-10 ZR2...Needs tires and a lift bad
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Lifer

I use a 30-06, dad uses a 7 and female cousin uses a 243 we all kill deer... its really just up to you

I've shot dads 7 and used to shoot a 3030 but I like the way my 30-06 feels in my hands
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
600 plus a few

Ok well how about this... any models or brands to stay away from? Like I found a deal on a Remington 770 but I hear those were absolute crap.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Ok well how about this... any models or brands to stay away from? Like I found a deal on a Remington 770 but I hear those were absolute crap.
You heard right....
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:01 PM
dee
Lifer

You get what you pay for,just remember that.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 AM
In the field

I'm a big fan of the Winchester Model 70's

Black on Black 02' Z28
Lowered on Black Z06 wheels

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement