Aimpoint or EOTech... the classic debate - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.

Aimpoint or EOTech... the classic debate

I had been set on an EOTech for my G3 for months. I finally get around to actually buying one and I get a chance to do some shooting with an Aimpoint at the larue shoot and now I'm debating. I must first admit I'm a cheap ass and do not like forking out gun money for optics. So price does play a factor in my decision. One of the issues is some of the draw to an eotech is the bullet drop indicator dots, however they are for a .223. And a .308 eotech is much more expensive. The aimpoints are nice, I like the simplicity, however there are many models and I can't seen to find a good price/feature balance. I was looking at the older comp m2's. Is there a good place to find used optics for a decent price? Texasguntrader and Craigslist have been less than stellar on deals. Are there any refurb companies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
I had been set on an EOTech for my G3 for months. I finally get around to actually buying one and I get a chance to do some shooting with an Aimpoint at the larue shoot and now I'm debating. I must first admit I'm a cheap ass and do not like forking out gun money for optics. So price does play a factor in my decision. One of the issues is some of the draw to an eotech is the bullet drop indicator dots, however they are for a .223. And a .308 eotech is much more expensive. The aimpoints are nice, I like the simplicity, however there are many models and I can't seen to find a good price/feature balance. I was looking at the older comp m2's. Is there a good place to find used optics for a decent price? Texasguntrader and Craigslist have been less than stellar on deals. Are there any refurb companies?
I personally own a EOTech for my AR-15 and love it. But for my larger caliber rifles (like .308), I just opted to go with a Nikon Scope. I generally use the larget calibers for hunting anyway and the AR-15 is more or less my plinking toy anyway.

2006 Mustang GT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Lifer

I posted about the Aimpoint Comp4 a couple of years ago. It gets my vote because it takes 1 aa battery that allows you to leave it in the "on" position for 8 years without needing to replace. It's compatible with nvg's, has user friendly adjustments, comes with front lens filter that blocks reflection, has unlimited amount of eye relief, has a very rugged and compact design, comes with a spacer that allows you to raise the sight's height, and accepts a common scope cover design as opposed to the weird design style of the Eotech.

Im not sure about refurbs, but if I find one, I'll let you know.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Factory Issue

Aimsurplus.com has refurbs pretty regularly.

Give me a dollar.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 06:03 PM
The token Asian guy

I shoot carbine matches with an EOTech. The lens is larger and I can see the target quicker. I have one for sale in the Classifieds.

I had an Aimpoint style one and it seems I have to line my face up better to get a sight picture.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Fear the lawn gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellerhead View Post
I shoot carbine matches with an EOTech. The lens is larger and I can see the target quicker. I have one for sale in the Classifieds.

I had an Aimpoint style one and it seems I have to line my face up better to get a sight picture.
This.

I can deff get on a closer target under 50 yards with the eotech. I still prefer the aimpoints just for build quality, and battery life, and also holding setting when turned off and on.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Time Served

porque no las dos?

2010 GT - 5spd
Roush Extreme Cat-Back Exhaust
3.89 Gears and SCT tuner coming soon!
Future Mods: LCA's, UCA, CAI, Springs, Wheels & Tires, Cams, Blower...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Lifer

I like the eotech for the quick target acquisition, I think it would go nicely on that G3 cj. Still got my eye out for one after shooting yours.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatassLX View Post
I like the eotech for the quick target acquisition, I think it would go nicely on that G3 cj. Still got my eye out for one after shooting yours.
I'll let you know if I see any good deals! I'm trying to make it a little more useful to shoot. Can't do much of anything with night vision and iron sights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement