Which 1911? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Hired Hand

Which 1911?

I'll be in Texas for Thanksgiving, and plan on buying a 1911 before I surrender my Texas ID and become a "local." I have a Glock for utility, and I've always wanted a 1911. I have my my sights set on the Kimber Eclipse (link below), but I am open to suggestions/recomendations. I am not necessarily looking for a collector gun, but I'm also not wanting neccessarily go the bargain route. It's not for carry, I just want a nice looking/shooting gun, just not a $2k+ "tuner" gun. Sell me on something other than the Eclipse.

Also, given the purpose of this gun, what length do you suggest? Should I go ahead and go for the full size 5" barrel, or would a 4" or less be better and why? Accuracy is nice, but fun-factor is better.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/eclipse/

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

If you're not going to carry it, go for the 5".

As for a different model, I don't really have a suggestion. Set your budget and get the best you can. If you can locate a Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, or any other semi-custom brand within your budget, go for it.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Fear the lawn gnome

Accuracy is great on all of the kimbers ive messed with.

Find the one in your price range and enjoy. I've owned a stainless uc2 and now own a pro carry cdpII.

I really like the cdp series over the regular stainless guns. I had a hard time deciding between the compact cdpII or the pro carry cdpII. Only difference is grip length.

Im 5'7 and conceal it well.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Lifer

Colt M1911a1 Standard size.

This one is like mine, except mine isnt polished stainless.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=197148269

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

Last edited by Trip McNeely; 10-24-2010 at 04:23 PM.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:57 PM
dee
Lifer

You might want to look into STI as well.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Time Served

I have a sti and it's great, but they are not Cali complaint. And I don't know how that works with taking it to their state. Friend of mine is living out there and left all his stuff at his place in killeen.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 05:57 PM
dee
Lifer

Not Cali friendly or the company doesn't sale to cali. Their standard 1911 should be fine but their hi cap race guns and double stack versions are a diff. story.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
Not Cali friendly or the company doesn't sale to cali. Their standard 1911 should be fine but their hi cap race guns and double stack versions are a diff. story.
Straight off sti's website

Q. Will the recent California Microstamping Bill affect California specific products?

A.*UPDATE* *We will be suspending all shipments of guns to California effective October 13, 2007. This includes everyone from civilians to Law Enforcement.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
You might want to look into STI as well.
I've already tried. He doesn't want a gorgeous, tight, reliable and accurate gun that shoots like a dream.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 AM
Lifer

Colt, govt or commander length. Since it won't be carried how about a gold cup? You can always swap springs and shoot standard loads. You also won't lose your ass if you ever decide to sell it. I'd look at gold cups and the special combat govt. The special combat is available in a few varieties, 45acp and 38 super. 38 super is a excuse the pun super fun round to shoot, extremely flat shooting, very accurate and low recoil. The ballistics are pretty impressive also, esp when you reload. Kind of expensive but it's worth it IMO. I enjoy shooting my super the most, get lots of looks and compliments on the gun to.

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 07:33 PM
dee
Lifer

Love shooting my Super too, the best is the looks you get when you fire off that first round cuse its alot louder ( think .357mag loud)
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

The choice is yours Big A-

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
The choice is yours Big A-

It may very well be how the slide is finished. Kimber might tumble them which would cause the rounded corners, and really have no real effect on it's function or accuracy other than cosmetics.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Every day is.............

Aaron, you are more than welcome to shoot my Kimber Gold Match II when you come to Tejas. I'm sure we can get Matt to come and bring a few different models from his toy chest.

If it's not for carrying, I would suggest going with a 5'' barrel, though I carry mine often and get away with it with little or no issues/printing.

By the way, don't get any of the following models:
Colt, Kimber, Ed Brown, Les Baer, STI, Wilson, Auto Ordnance, Nighthawk, Rock River Arms, Fusion, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson, Dan Wesson. Guncrafter, SVI,P,Para Ordnance, Dlask, RIA/Armscor, Charles Daly, Firestorm, High Standard, STI, Shooters Arm Manufacturing, Springfield, Taurus, Tanfoglio, Valtro, Bul Transmark & Norinco.

A buddy's cousin's best friend knew someone who had a model of each one with bad tolerances, so obviously they're all shit!

David
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
It may very well be how the slide is finished. Kimber might tumble them which would cause the rounded corners, and really have no real effect on it's function or accuracy other than cosmetics.
I took that photo from a guy complaining about that bun being an awful specimen, but yes that finish could be a factor as well.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
oh damn an informative post. heres another to fuel the pissing match: colt has fewer MIM parts, its all personal preference. i'll stick to the colts.

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 PM
CJ

Quote:
I took that photo from a guy complaining about that bun being an awful specimen, but yes that finish could be a factor as well.
I couldn't say one way or another. I've been impressed with many Kimber's. I just am not a fan of a subcompact 1911's. My colt 1911A1/Ithica 1911A1 are both very loose. (probably because they've killed 30 people and have had 85,000 round through them)
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajet69 View Post

By the way, don't get any of the following models:
Colt, Kimber, Ed Brown, Les Baer, STI, Wilson, Auto Ordnance, Nighthawk, Rock River Arms, Fusion, Sig Sauer, Smith & Wesson, Dan Wesson. Guncrafter, SVI,P,Para Ordnance, Dlask, RIA/Armscor, Charles Daly, Firestorm, High Standard, STI, Shooters Arm Manufacturing, Springfield, Taurus, Tanfoglio, Valtro, Bul Transmark & Norinco.

A buddy's cousin's best friend knew someone who had a model of each one with bad tolerances, so obviously they're all shit!

David
Well these guys had Kimbers, and they say that they suck from first hand experience-

http://full-auto.org/viewtopic.php?f...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
My colt 1911A1/Ithica 1911A1 are both very loose. (probably because they've killed 30 people and have had 85,000 round through them)
Lol, that may well be a factor!

The modern Colts are very tight though, modern machining I guess.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 PM
CJ

Quote:
Lol, that may well be a factor!

The modern Colts are very tight though, modern machining I guess.
yes, machining and their purpose. Original 1911's were built to interchange with any other model on the battlefield. When you have 6 manufacturers, tolerances need to be a little loose. My Delta is extremely tight, my commander is somewhat tight, and my 1911A1's will cycle no matter what happens to them.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I couldn't say one way or another. I've been impressed with many Kimber's. I just am not a fan of a subcompact 1911's. My colt 1911A1/Ithica 1911A1 are both very loose. (probably because they've killed 30 people and have had 85,000 round through them)
the majority of colts i have handled have been a wee bit loose in the frame to slide fit, barrel lockup is where its at. one would venture to guess that the ithica's, remington rand, singer etc guns would all be roughly the same in that aspect based on the drawings used from that time frame, read: colts dwg's. mine are loose and accurate, no complaints.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:28 PM
CJ

Actually, apparently I'm completely wrong with what I presumed. Although the M1911A1 fees looser, clearly it isn't.

And the Delta which is extremely tight, appears looser...

interesting.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Lifer

Many of the new colts that I've handled recently were LOOSE. We're talking more than 1mm lateral play and a notable vertical play. Although the slide/frame fit isn't a perfect indicator of accuracy, it does show the manufacturers attention to tolerances.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 05:56 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
How old was the complaint? My Kimber looks nothing like that...

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
How old was the complaint? My Kimber looks nothing like that...
Nor does mine, but he did help make my point, that with a little searching you could find problems with "any" of the manufacturers I listed.

In fairness, I have heard of some fit/finish issues with older Kimbers but that was several (3 or so) years ago. Also, I would be surprised if some of those "casting flaws" are actually casting issues. I wasn't aware that Kimber used that many casted parts, even though it's apparent that some were. Kind of odd to me, for such and expensive gun.

David
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:33 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajet69 View Post
Nor does mine, but he did help make my point, that with a little searching you could find problems with "any" of the manufacturers I listed.

In fairness, I have heard of some fit/finish issues with older Kimbers but that was several (3 or so) years ago. Also, I would be surprised if some of those "casting flaws" are actually casting issues. I wasn't aware that Kimber used that many casted parts, even though it's apparent that some were. Kind of odd to me, for such and expensive gun.

David
I'm sure the early Yonkers guns may have had some issues as it was a new factory with new employees. I'm sure any manufacturer would have similar issues in the same sort of situation.

Here is the link to my thread showing most (if not all) of the stuff complained about in DOHCTR's link.

https://www.dfwstangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=421699

In fact, his link helped me out with my decision when I bought my CDP. I probably never would have looked at the slide/frame fit and all of that other stuff. But, every Kimber I picked up that day had fit that appeared as good as the Springfield pictures in that fullauto link.

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:37 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

BTW, I'm not saying I will never own a Colt. I just was not interested in what was available from them at the time I bought my CDP.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:45 AM

Yeah, same here. I'll definitely own a Colt one day. I just need to work out this whole job/employment thing first. lol

David
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Lifer

every one has had one issue or another with all manufactures of 1911's if you go back far enough.

Just put one in your hand and go shoot it. There are plenty of people here that would be more than willing to let you shoot their stuff. I'm one of them.

Maybe we should have a 1911 GTG at the range, or some one's land, and let every one see for them selves what they like. Me personally, I like the Wilson 1911.

My first 1911 was a Colt gold cup national match.....P.O.S. It would not hold on target vertically. My second 1911 is a Kimber TLE/RL II Stainless. It does not like some ammo (will not feed the last round in any mag.) So I just do not buy that ammo. But it will hit what I aim for.

And I'm sure you will find people that hate Kimber because they had issues with them, and love the Colt.

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz007 View Post
Me personally, I like the Wilson 1911.
Dont we all.

Say, Big A, just get the Wilson. I know Jackson Armory has them on sale right now for $2999!
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Dont we all.

Say, Big A, just get the Wilson. I know Jackson Armory has them on sale right now for $2999!

All about guns in Lewisville has them cheaper.

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz007 View Post
All about guns in Lewisville has them cheaper.
I was being sarcastic, but I have never seen one sell for less than $2500 new.

They are fine guns, but I dont know if I would shell out 2k+ for a 1911. Maybe someday, but not today. Hell, that is getting into machine gun price range.... and I could use a new one of those
Sponsored Links
Advertisement